• Help Support TNDeer:

Quota Hunts

Question?……. If Oak Ridge wants deer numbers lowered, then why in the world did they bring the “Antlerless ONLY” quota down to 125 from 300???
I know several guys including myself that counted on those left over permits for “fun” hunts, not to mention the small amount of revenue generated by those left over permits. Anyone know?

Question?……. If Oak Ridge wants deer numbers lowered, then why in the world did they bring the "Antlerless ONLY" quota down to 125 from 300???
I know several guys including myself that counted on those left over permits for "fun" hunts, not to mention the small amount of revenue generated by those left over permits. Anyone know?
The deer population is no longer in great need of lowering. Deer vehicle collisions are pretty low anymore. I know people may not agree but that’s the thought process either way. There was also low participation in those and its costs a fortune to man those hunts based on the number of hunters participating.

The deer population is no longer in great need of lowering. Deer vehicle collisions are pretty low anymore. I know people may not agree but that's the thought process either way. There was also low participation in those and its costs a fortune to man those hunts based on the number of hunters participating.
Spot on. I hunt Oak Ridge and have a good spot, but the overall deer density been reduced. Whether it be from hunting, accidents, or mother nature.

Doesn’t look like as many choices this time. What really happened to the Milan training area hunts? Looked like a a TWRA money grab to me from the start. Maybe I am wrong about that or they would have continued it. It sure was nice for those that wanted an option to get drawn for a hunt in West Tennessee since they need 13-15 years to get a PI hunt.

With so few opportunities to apply for and the obligation some feel just to put in for a hunt because they can because they have a sportsman’s license( which I have been guilty of myself) it looks like the odds go down every time a hunt is taken away.

Doesn't look like as many choices this time. What really happened to the Milan training area hunts? Looked like a a TWRA money grab to me from the start. Maybe I am wrong about that or they would have continued it. It sure was nice for those that wanted an option to get drawn for a hunt in West Tennessee since they need 13-15 years to get a PI hunt.

With so few opportunities to apply for and the obligation some feel just to put in for a hunt because they can because they have a sportsman's license( which I have been guilty of myself) it looks like the odds go down every time a hunt is taken away.
They were cancelled by the National Guard due to concerns related to federal hunting program requirements for the Department's Milan federal property.

Doesn't look like as many choices this time. What really happened to the Milan training area hunts? Looked like a a TWRA money grab to me from the start. Maybe I am wrong about that or they would have continued it. It sure was nice for those that wanted an option to get drawn for a hunt in West Tennessee since they need 13-15 years to get a PI hunt.

With so few opportunities to apply for and the obligation some feel just to put in for a hunt because they can because they have a sportsman's license( which I have been guilty of myself) it looks like the odds go down every time a hunt is taken away.
Heard several varying things about this. I think some of it was that the National Guard and TWRA were not on the same page. It was nice having a west TN option that had good opportunities for game.

Seems I read somewhere that folks thought there were too many hunters for a quality hunt. Things to ponder.

Spot on. I hunt Oak Ridge and have a good spot, but the overall deer density been reduced. Whether it be from hunting, accidents, or mother nature.
I haven’t hunted there in 10 years or so. It was loaded with deer back then. Figured since the close and reopen it would be even more covered up.

Seems like Tn as a whole has very few places to even apply to. If they don’t start adding and having more options and or places to hunt. Most people are gonna just say forget it. Be nice to have some new places to roam. Quota hunts have always had a special place in my heart. As that’s how I first started hunting 30 years ago. Something about everyone getting up early and the camp hunt. Go by the check station check out the bucks. Talk a few minutes get a little intel on of the buck was chasing any doe’s. Get a little story on it.

Latest posts

Back