PTO tiller ?

fishboy1

Need advice on a PTO driven tiller.
#1. New or used
#2. Problem areas on tillers ie...bearings/welds etc... or things to watch out for...
#3. Fair price for used?
#4. Better ideas than buying a tiller?

Here is the scoop. Our garden (150 x 90) has a lot of clay and turns to concrete when it dries out. We have been adding mulch to help the soil but it really needs to be thoroughly tilled to a small crumb, then have all the organic matter added and mixed in.

After a couple years, the garden spot will be much looser and better but for now, Im killing myself running the little gas operated tiller. Wife has given the green light to get a PTO driven tiller for the tractor.

Need advice from any of you equipment savvy guys.
Thanks!

Paul Burns

Two thoughts
1. Hire it tilled and add compost type material for a few years. cheapest route.
2. You can purchase a used tiller for about 4-5 hundred in good shape from most used dealers.
I can only speak from my tiller experience but bought used and have used for 7 years for food plots, garden, yards. This includes about 3-4 neighbors gardens tilling each year.
No problems at all----it is a Yanmar unit. I also have a 3110 Yanmar tractor with the super low gear to use for tilling--basically a slow creep gear.
Good luck.

Sako

First question is.... How many years do you think you will be using it? if it is a long term purchase.... you might want to consider new....

Used for 4 to 5 hundred are few and far between on this side of the state.... and ones that are that much are in questionable shape... if you can find one in good shape and taken care of they generally want more.
Couple of points....

If you tractor will pull it, I would get one big enough to cover your tractor tires... i.e. 5 or 6 foot depending on your tractor... that way you do not have to have an offset one... if you do buy a 4 foot tiller get one that has the offset....

Get one with a slip clutch...

clean it, put it up (covered if you can) and it will last a very long time...

you might be surprised how many times a year you use it.... I have a 70 x 60 garden and several other smaller gardens... I find myself using it several times both spring, summer and fall...

Latest posts