Pond Stocking

CBU93

I have access to manage a farm pond about thirty years old, three acres, so deep you would not believe me. It was stocked years ago with channel cats and green sunfish. No visible cover an very clean banks.

I want to put largemouth, bluegill, and shell cracker in it. Are there any low cost resources to help develop a management plan to achieve those goals?

gtk

Staff member
speaking from experience, just "adding" to the pond without some type of feeding program, will result in a bunch of stunted fish.. Best case scenario woudl be to kill the current fish population off & start from scratch..

Grnwing

Contact TWRA and speak to a biologist. I have neighbors that are stocking a pond with whatever they catch and its a mess. A lot of people think you can just through some fish in there and you ll have a great fishing pond. There is a science to it and the biologist are very helpful in getting you started in the right direction. Go to the website below and you will find a lot of information. [urlhttp://tn.gov/assets/entities/twra/fish/attachments/pondsbook.pdf[/url]

WTM

gtk":3lyac2b0 said:
speaking from experience, just "adding" to the pond without some type of feeding program, will result in a bunch of stunted fish.. Best case scenario woudl be to kill the current fish population off & start from scratch..

+1 especially if it was stocked with green sunfish. i know a guy that was sold green sunfish instead of bluegill and they took over his pond, probably because he didnt stock any bass.

rbreedi1

You do not want green sunfish.. best thing to do is start over and follow the recipe for a bass bluegill pond. TWRA has booklets online or speak to a fisheries biologist.

Latest posts