Percy Priest Hybrid and Striper Club

CliffordN

Hey guys, thought I would let you know a little about this great organization, which is making a big difference. You can find it at www.PPHSclub.com
The club raises money which is used to buy food for the TWRA stocking program, which in turn produces and stocks Stripers and Hybrids into TN lakes.
We have a meeting tonight, if you would like to come meet members, and hear about how it all works.
We also have monthly tourneys on Percy Priest, and the Cumberland, and educate folks on how to catch these fish...

The meeting begins at 6 PM, at Painturos ~ 12910 Lebanon Road in Mt. Juliet. Sorry for the late notice, but we would love to see you there.

Last edited:

MidTennFisher

How's the striper fishing on Priest lately? Last I fished that lake was close to 8 years ago. I used to do well with hybrids but catching a striper was a bit rare. I'd say for every 15-20 hybrids I caught out there I'd catch a striper.

CliffordN

How's the striper fishing on Priest lately? Last I fished that lake was close to 8 years ago. I used to do well with hybrids but catching a striper was a bit rare. I'd say for every 15-20 hybrids I caught out there I'd catch a striper.
The fish stocked over the past few years are coming around, but it may still be a while till you can consistently catch them. Last year, I saw several in the 15-18 pound range that were caught by folks fishing for hybrids... Hopefully they will continue to grow, and we can see the lake like it was in year's past. We are trying to teach folks how to recognize them, and turn them loose when they catch one that meets the 15 inch minimum. Many folks don't know the difference between a White Bass, a hybrid, or a true striper.

MidTennFisher

The fish stocked over the past few years are coming around, but it may still be a while till you can consistently catch them. Last year, I saw several in the 15-18 pound range that were caught by folks fishing for hybrids... Hopefully they will continue to grow, and we can see the lake like it was in year's past. We are trying to teach folks how to recognize them, and turn them loose when they catch one that meets the 15 inch minimum. Many folks don't know the difference between a White Bass, a hybrid, or a true striper.
Oh I know that last part is true. I used to see so many pictures of people catching what would be the new TN state record "hybrid" and they knew it was a hybrid because it had a few broken stripes. Good to hear the striper population is bouncing back!

Dbllunger

Is this the same club Todd Flannery is president of now? If so Todd is a great guy and ya'll are in good hands. I rarely fish Priest anymore and most of my striper fishing is in other midtenn waters.

CliffordN

The club has 11 new members since the beginning of the year. Many of them want to learn how to catch these fish, what bait and gear to use, etc. We will be getting them out on the water very soon! Good times ahead!

megalomaniac

Awesome Clifford!

Sorry to derail, but did you fish for them below Ross Barnett back in the day? I cut my teeth catching hybrids (PB 16lbs) and stripers (PB 35lbs) in the early 90s below PP dam, and took those techniques below Ross Barnett in the late 90s to wear them out. Super fun fishery.

CliffordN

Awesome Clifford!

Sorry to derail, but did you fish for them below Ross Barnett back in the day? I cut my teeth catching hybrids (PB 16lbs) and stripers (PB 35lbs) in the early 90s below PP dam, and took those techniques below Ross Barnett in the late 90s to wear them out. Super fun fishery.
I didn't. I grew up in Louisiana and fished for them as soon as I heard about them being stocked in a lake not far from Baton Rouge. Got busy with a career and stopped fishing for quite some time. When I moved near Ross Barnett, I became a crappie fisherman, but eventually started chasing hybrids again in the main lake. My back will not allow me to navigate the rocks in spillways, so I never got down to the tailrace. Recent reports show the Hybrids are doing very well in there now. The MDWFP has just about quit stocking Stripers, and have really slowed down on stocking them in the reservoir, so they are getting rare. Most of what was below the dam has started out in the main lake and passed through it. Locals need to let them know they are interested, or it will end...

CliffordN

Club members have been working the hybrids over on Priest for a couple of weeks now. It is nice to look across the water and see friends reeling in fish! We have been taking non members out and showing them how we fish too. This morning I had a 12 year old wearing them out, and he was all smiles! Good times!

megalomaniac

... When I moved near Ross Barnett, I became a crappie fisherman,
Did you know Bill Pettit? He was one of the premier local guides and president of Magnolia Crappie club for most of the 80s. I adopted him as my grandfather and he taught me everything he knew about how to catch crappie on Barnett.

CliffordN

Did you know Bill Pettit? He was one of the premier local guides and president of Magnolia Crappie club for most of the 80s. I adopted him as my grandfather and he taught me everything he knew about how to catch crappie on Barnett.
I did not know him. But I heard his name mentioned quite often when I lived near the lake. I was in Pennsylvania working in the 80s....

Latest posts