Odd social behavior

BSK

Working a set of trail-camera data from a client, and I'm seeing something I've never seen before. A bachelor group of 4 bucks (one 2 1/2, two 3 1/2s and a 4 1/2) come to a feeder almost every day. What's odd is they have a doe in their bachelor group. I've got some clear pictures of the doe from the back-end, and she's definitely female and not an antlerless male. Anyone else ever seen a doe be part of a buck bachelor group in August? That's a new one for me. Maybe she's transgender. ;)

megalomaniac

Nope, never.

I dont know about deer, but humans can have female external genetalia, but genetically be a male with undescended testes causing partial virilization. It is also possible to have adrenal tumors that cause viriliazation.

In any case, SOMETHING is off with that doe

fairchaser

Deer certainly have different personalities. I watched a doe following a mature buck once during the rut. Since deer are also social animals, it could be like a little sister that wants to hang out with her brother. Maybe the moma doe died and she's always imprinted on a buck. Interesting though.

BSK

My best guess is I've looked at over 2 million trail-camera pictures, and I've NEVER seen a doe join (and be accepted into) a buck bachelor group before. Well, proof that "never say never" is a good policy.

backyardtndeer

We did have a buck and doe running together one season all through the rut stages. Our best guess was that they were 2.5 year olds that possibly were twins and their mother doe killed in the season two years prior. Without momma doe around to kick the buck fawn out, he just hung around. That was the only possiblity that really made sense.

BSK

We did have a buck and doe running together one season all through the rut stages. Our best guess was that they were 2.5 year olds that possibly were twins and their mother doe killed in the season two years prior. Without momma doe around to kick the buck fawn out, he just hung around. That was the only possiblity that really made sense.
I suspect something similar in this situation. A mixed sex twin pair that continued their social bond beyond fawnhood.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
I was bow hunting one Oct AM. I see 5 deer milling around for about 10 mins as the come toward me. 3 big does and 2 fawns. As they get to within 15 yards, I draw back and the lead doe walks out from behind a big tree. I 10 ring her and they all run toward my truck. I climb down after 30 mins and pack my gear up. walk about 75 yards and there is the doe laying over a log. I grab her back legs and see male parts, i peak over the log and there is 6" tall 3 pt. I was not expecting this at all. Never expect a little buck leading the pack. the does actually circled back and was blowing at me as I was field dressing him.

BSK

I was bow hunting one Oct AM. I see 5 deer milling around for about 10 mins as the come toward me. 3 big does and 2 fawns. As they get to within 15 yards, I draw back and the lead doe walks out from behind a big tree. I 10 ring her and they all run toward my truck. I climb down after 30 mins and pack my gear up. walk about 75 yards and there is the doe laying over a log. I grab her back legs and see male parts, i peak over the log and there is 6" tall 3 pt. I was not expecting this at all. Never expect a little buck leading the pack. the does actually circled back and was blowing at me as I was field dressing him.
Fairly common for a yearling buck to still be traveling with his mother's female social group early in the fall. But he usually is the lowest deer on the social ladder within the group and is often "Tail-end Charlie" as they travel through the woods.

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Fairly common for a yearling buck to still be traveling with his mother's female social group early in the fall. But he usually is the lowest deer on the social ladder within the group and is often "Tail-end Charlie" as they travel through the woods.
That's exactly what I thought. The 2 fawn was following him.

Chickencoop96

Working a set of trail-camera data from a client, and I'm seeing something I've never seen before. A bachelor group of 4 bucks (one 2 1/2, two 3 1/2s and a 4 1/2) come to a feeder almost every day. What's odd is they have a doe in their bachelor group. I've got some clear pictures of the doe from the back-end, and she's definitely female and not an antlerless male. Anyone else ever seen a doe be part of a buck bachelor group in August? That's a new one for me. Maybe she's transgender. ;)
" she hangs with bucks because they are less drama" LMAO