oats

MoCamo

I would like to say hello and great web site.Ive been reading topics from this site about two years and have got some great info from it but just never logged on to the site.It seems like every time i had a guestion i could search the topics and find the answer i was looking for.My question is about oats we have a lease in southern tn and are thinking about using oats in our food plot mix this year.We currently plant winter wheat,dwarf rape,crimsion clover,awp.Ive heard alot about buck forage oats but we have a budget i dont know if we can afford them.Are there any other types of oats that we can use that is a little more affordable but get good results from.Thanks for this site you guys do a great job.

deerchaser007

harrison oats is suppose to be pretty good. There is another that folks on here tried also that they liked,.. can't remember it.

Oats is gonna be higher than winter wheat either way. BUT,.. the other varieties are about 10 dollars cheaper than buck forage. Buck forage is around 22 -23 dollars and you can get harrison around 12 -15 dollars.
Until someone can prove me otherwise,.. i'll continue to pay 10 dollars more for buck forage. They don't freeze out in severe cold snaps like the others. I'll pay that extra money to have that forage coming from the ground.

By the way,... WELCOME.

Scrub Buck

Welcome MoCamo,

I'm sure there's many others that could answer better but I'll give my 2 cents. I think that I planted bob oats last year. Not sure but I think. I do know for sure that you can get much much cheaper oats than buck forage oats. Just go to your local co-op. They should be able to help you.
That being said, most on here seem to agree that deer love pretty much any oat you plant but those that use buck forage oats say that it will last much longer into the winter. I have never planted them so I don't know that to be fact.

Terry

MoCamo

Thanks for the info fellows i guess i need to reserch a little more on buck forage oats.I was told the price was higher i also need to find out if ph is a big issue for bfo,and the recommended seed rate per acre.Im currently waiting on soil test but we have been putting 2 tons per acre for the last three years.

deerchaser007

Buck forage oats at co-op is 23 dollars(50 lb bag)
ph recommendation is between 6.0 to 7.0
100 to 120 lbs per acre if sowing alone(Broadcast)
apply extra nitrogen in mid december

TOW

Plain old feed oats worked well for us.

Not as good germination but a TON cheaper..

Boone 58

According to clemmons seed at greenhill ala. oats are still oats and if you plant winter oats you are not only saving money but you get cold hardy oats.....how they stack up to buck oats i dont know but ill bet buck oats still come from cold climates just like the ones from labels stating "winter". For guys who can afford the more expensive ones more power to you. but for my money it will go to the ones recommended by the professional seed selling/cleaning folks like the good folks at clemmons. JMO>

156p&y

We plant buck oats and are going to expand our plots this year b/c the deer have eaten them down to the dirt they last two years. There is a new product out called Gain that treats the soil like lime. They say it is like adding 1000lbs of lime per acre and a gallon concentration treats I believe an acre at $20. So it's worth looking it and it might save big bucks when it comes to liming.

Arrow Flinger

I just wanted to say that the Whitetail Institute of North America has a new Oat blend out for the fall, supposed to be very cold tolerant and high in sugar, i know this is a late post but i just got on.

TOW

156p&y said:
We plant buck oats and are going to expand our plots this year b/c the deer have eaten them down to the dirt they last two years. There is a new product out called Gain that treats the soil like lime. They say it is like adding 1000lbs of lime per acre and a gallon concentration treats I believe an acre at $20. So it's worth looking it and it might save big bucks when it comes to liming.

So, where can one buy GAIN?

tnclayboy

I planted the cheaper COOP oats this year with winter weat and winterpeas . It all looked good the deer kept it looking like a carpet all winter till this spring it took off again. I planted this mix in about 5 diff places some plot 1/2 acre some smaller.
i planted some in farm fields after the beans were cut . I will repeat the same mix this year. I paid less than 100 $ and I had alott of seed 400lbs of wheat 400lbs of oats and a 50# sack of Austrailian Winter peas. and a few pounds of white ladino clover.
I didn't put the clover in the over all mix ,just a few areas where I was not plannig on disking up for a few years.

Latest posts