Muzzleloader Knowledge

ShaneHallum

Guys, I never ML hunt. I've got me a basic Knight.. Black Knight .50.

Tell me what the best setup everybody has for this gun. I didn't wanna get a high dollar gun and not be interested in it.

War Eagle

I have a Knight American that I use a Barnes 250 gr. bullet/sabot with 80 gr. of Triple 7 fffg powder with good results. I've killed several does and two 6-points with it.

rem270

used to shoot a knight and still have it. great shooting ml's hate to see them going out of business.
i shot 95 gr of triple 7 powder and 250 gr hornady sst's and they are awesome. my dad still shoots them.
ive got a .45 now and its so hard to load the hornadys in it i had to change

Squiggs

Carlos said:
I shoot a 240 grain sabot with the plastic jacket and 90-100 grains of the Pyrodex pellets. My Knight is very accurate out to 150 yards. I've started to get one of the newer models several times, but I doubt they would be as accurate as the one I have now.

Same here, using a Knight American.
You might want to get the 209 primer conversion if it doesn't have it.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Loose powder will generally give the best results after you you get some experence under your belt .
The #1 thing for a beginner is consistant loading.You have to put the exact same amount of powder every time.Pellets make this much easier. They do cost more. You also HAVE to be able to put the exact same amount of pressure on the ramrod each time you load the gun.No matter the bullet or the amount of powder if you ram it hard one time and lite the next you will not be able to shoot consistantly tight groups.
I converted my knight to shoot Musket caps. They are much larger and easier to handle than regular caps or 209's.
To start out practiceing and loading (2) 50 grain pellets and a 250 grain Barnes or Hornady seem to work well in alot of Knights.
I would recommend that a beginner pick one load and one bullet and practice,practice,and practice some more untill you can shoot consistant groups at 75 or 100 yards.After you start getting good groups then you can start playing around with different loads and different bullets to see what you and your gun can do at longer ranges.

ShaneHallum

I went to my uncle's this morning to shoot her a little bit. I told him that I wasn't sure which setup I wanted to use.

He sat me up a test load... not a big deal.. I shot it, wasn't too bad. It dropped pretty hard at 100. I told him to bump it up a little.

I got SCOPED! Too embrassed to post pics, but I've got a dent in the bridge of my nose.... I dunno what powder, or how much charge he put in it. But it was a little much.... :D

Still-n-Quiet

ShaneHallum said:
I went to my uncle's this morning to shoot her a little bit. I told him that I wasn't sure which setup I wanted to use.

He sat me up a test load... not a big deal.. I shot it, wasn't too bad. It dropped pretty hard at 100. I told him to bump it up a little.

I got SCOPED! Too embrassed to post pics, but I've got a dent in the bridge of my nose.... I dunno what powder, or how much charge he put in it. But it was a little much.... :D

Been there, too! Felt this numb feeling on my nose. Asked my wife, who was there, if the scope bit me. She looked at it and said, "No" because it wasn't bleeding, YET! Second later, she says, "Oh Yeah! It bit you!"

spitndrum

I have always had good luck with the Hornady XTP bullets and Pyrodex Pellets!!

I shoot Triple 777 Pellets and XTPs outa my Pro Hunter, I'm thinking bout switching to Shockwaves this year though I shot a Doe in KY last year and was very please with the bullets performance!

Latest posts