Food Plots Mix came in well

deerfever

My plot mix came in well! Too bad there are so many acorns that the deer don't use it much. I enjoy doing it so it's no big deal and I am hoping later on as the season goes along some will come use it.

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_153754421_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211016_153754421_HDR.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 159

deerfever

What did you plant? Looks like predominantly brassicas. You should have an excellent late November and all of December hunting time! Came up very well!
Turnips, radishes, winter wheat, winter peas, and buckwheat. I believe some crimson clover was in with it also. I am hoping like you said later on they will use it well. I had several using and then the acorns dropped.

BSK

Very nice plot!

For some reason, deer (primarily does and fawns) are still hammering my plots, even though acorns are falling out of the trees by the bucket-load.

DeerCamp

Very nice plot!

For some reason, deer (primarily does and fawns) are still hammering my plots, even though acorns are falling out of the trees by the bucket-load.
Me: Not seeing many deer the last few days

BSK: My food plot brings all the does to the yard, and their like, it's better than yours...

:rolleyes:

BSK

I still can't figure out why the does and fawns are still on the plots. Bucks are totally ignoring the food in the plots, but have suddenly become very interested in the does in the plots!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I run 30 cameras and the last 2 weeks have been the saddest camera runs I have seen in a few years. Certainly the saddest on these properties. Must be a great year for native browse and acorn crops. These can be the kind of years when some great unknowns show up for the rut. Its coming, I see necks swelling and ears pinned back now so next weeks cold should stir things up a bit. After working thru early bow season I am looking forward to the rut!

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Curious what you mean by that? Saddest in what way, not being able to get deer on cam?
I have been spoiled for a great number of years with many pictures of quality up and coming 2 and 3 year olds and more than my share of 4 and 5+ mature deer from 130's to upper 160's and an occasional 170+. Even in good acorn years this has become the norm. Each year I have relocated cameras as needed to find / stay on the deer which has not been too difficult. Suddenly this year changed and I have far fewer pictures of quality 2 and 3 year olds, and 4, 5 & 5+ mature bucks. The doe count is high as usual, the quality and quantity of available food is better than it has ever been and (this may be some of the why) the total acres of quality cover is up significantly but camera sets on food plots, in low gaps, at creek and fence crossings and (in KY) on feed are all down in total pics, down in pics of 3 year olds and up. I know its not just me, most neighbors report the same. So, this year I am not getting the antler rush I have grown accustomed to, (no antler candy my daughter said) , yet.

BSK

I have been spoiled for a great number of years with many pictures of quality up and coming 2 and 3 year olds and more than my share of 4 and 5+ mature deer from 130's to upper 160's and an occasional 170+. Even in good acorn years this has become the norm. Each year I have relocated cameras as needed to find / stay on the deer which has not been too difficult. Suddenly this year changed and I have far fewer pictures of quality 2 and 3 year olds, and 4, 5 & 5+ mature bucks. The doe count is high as usual, the quality and quantity of available food is better than it has ever been and (this may be some of the why) the total acres of quality cover is up significantly but camera sets on food plots, in low gaps, at creek and fence crossings and (in KY) on feed are all down in total pics, down in pics of 3 year olds and up. I know its not just me, most neighbors report the same. So, this year I am not getting the antler rush I have grown accustomed to, (no antler candy my daughter said) , yet.
That's truly fascinating information Popcorn. Thanks for sharing. last year, in my local region of western Middle TN, antler quality per age-class was through the roof. I've never seen anything like it. This year; back to normal. I have no idea what happened to produce that single year surge.

Latest posts