• Help Support TNDeer:

Hey Bob White! Bob White!

Establish native grasses. Let fence rows grow thick. Have cover in areas throughout your area you're looking to improve. Do more burning and light discing than bush hogging
What if you've been doing that for 20 years,
and the quail population continues to trend downward?
That has been my experience on a particularly large tract of land.

My neighbor has 150ac with grown up fencerows dividing it into 6 fields. This is on the other side of a creek that flows thru our property. I release pen raised birds over there occasionally to train my dogs. I heard some that I released last fall until the Jan snow storm.

What if you've been doing that for 20 years,
and the quail population continues to trend downward?
That has been my experience on a particularly large tract of land.
Same here. I have heard one quail whistle this year and 0 last year. We did a two year bushog on one farm last winter and it didn't even have a rabbit. We trap these places as well. No idea what can be done for small game.

In the last half of the 1970s, coon pelts were $40, fox were $40-$75, mink $40, southern coyote $40-$50, and bobcat $40.00-$100.00. Populations of all these predators were quite low, and quail numbers were still declining annually.
You could kill 'em all and it won't matter without habitat. Deer and turkeys would be appreciative though.

In the last half of the 1970s, coon pelts were $40, fox were $40-$75, mink $40, southern coyote $40-$50, and bobcat $40.00-$100.00. Populations of all these predators were quite low, and quail numbers were still declining annually.
I remember trapping in those days. You could catch one coon, and buy another dozen 11/2 coil springs.
A lot of people,including myself, had bird dogs.

Odd to see this post. I live in south Madison county. Havent heard or see a quail here in probably 10 yrs . Hunted them for years. Was out in the yard late yest evening, had one whistling in a small weed lot, old pasture beside me. Went in, got wife, let her listen. Bird called on an off all evening. Was nice to hear. Then saw this. Lol

😃

Whistled this bird up. It flew in right in front of the porch, looked around for a half a second, didn't see what it was lookin' for and got outta dodge. LOL The below picture is where it flew to in the edge of the woods. It's the simple things!! 😃

IMG_1526.jpeg

I grew up in North Georgia, and we had quail and whippoorwills…. In the evenings, it was very common to hear a bunch of ‘em, and walking thru the woods, it wasn’t uncommon to flush a covey. And our property was mostly woods.

I’ve only heard a quail once since I’ve lived in middle TN. MISS IT!

😃

Whistled this bird up. It flew in right in front of the porch, looked around for a half a second, didn't see what it was lookin' for and got outta dodge. LOL The below picture is where it flew to in the edge of the woods. It's the simple things!! 😃

View attachment 233963
Lots of hens nesting. They'll act a fool like a gobbler the 3rd week of April now

Back