Guided Thermal hunts

ImThere

Im not dumping on the officers. They do a great job but once again they ARE HANDCUFFED BY THAT LOOPHOLE THAT LET'S PEOPLE ROAD HUNT AT NIGHT FROM THE STREET WITH THERMAL OPTICS. HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO POINT OUT THE PROBLEM TO YOU?

Whovever is in charge of means and methods at the agency needs to address this issue to whoever is responsible for road hunting rules at night.

IF THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO THEN YOU AT LEAST NEED TO WARN PEOPLE OF THIS DANGER.
What danger? People doing illegal chit? I think you are blaming them for something out of their control. It's like asking them to stop mass shootings.

scn

Im not dumping on the officers. They do a great job but once again they ARE HANDCUFFED BY THAT LOOPHOLE THAT LET'S PEOPLE ROAD HUNT AT NIGHT FROM THE STREET WITH THERMAL OPTICS. HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO POINT OUT THE PROBLEM TO YOU?

Whovever is in charge of means and methods at the agency needs to address this issue to whoever is responsible for road hunting rules at night.

IF THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO THEN YOU AT LEAST NEED TO WARN PEOPLE OF THIS DANGER.
As I have told you, I am really sorry for the issues you are having.

I am totally out of that loop right now, so my thoughts and suggestions mean next to nothing. The rule dealing with your issues has been on the books for many years. It seems to be working in most places. I have seen very few complaints except for yours (and an observation from someone else up in that area that it is pretty widespread). Thus there is no need to do a warning on something that is a pretty nonexistant danger. If you are having some of your local culls shooting at you or your farm animals, that is not a TWRA issue. That is an issue for the sheriffs dept. to be dealing with under the statutes they enforce such as assault, reckless endangerment, and some of the livestock laws. Those are not in TWRA's jurisdiction to enforce.

TWRA doesn't have the ability to close the loophole. And, it isn't a loophole that lets people road hunt at night. The state statute giving people the right to have guns in their vehicle over rides the TWRA regulation about being in possession of the thermal equipment in their vehicles between sunset and sunrise if they are in possession of a firearm. Outside of the vehicle the regulation is pretty enforceable. But, from a vehicle, you are just about going to have to watch them shoot to be able to make a case. There are not enough officers or hours for them to work to make that case on a regular basis. You might also schedule a meeting with your local judge to see if he/she has any thought on how a case can be made dealing with your problem. They also work for you.

The only way I can see it changing and making it enforceable is if the legislature passes a statute making having thermal equipment and a firearm illegal. With the little likelihood of that passing, I don't see TWRA lobbying for it. But, that does not keep you from working your legislators on the issue to see if it might flow.

scn

I had some time on the mower this afternoon to give this some additional thought. I don't think the "loophole" is insurmountable. I think an officer with a reasonable judge could make those cases all night long. The TWRA rule doesn't have anything to do with someone's statutory right to carry a firearm. It just means you can't be in possession of thermal equipment while doing so. That choice is up to the individual.

I think you may have a judge problem. He may own property with hog issues so he is siding with the culls. He may not want to get into the constitutional rights discussion (although I don't think that is in play). Who knows, but with what you have dealt with, it is worth trying to make an appointment to sit down with him.

While I was full time in the field, I basically had three judges in the two counties I worked the most. One was a total joke. He wore "glasses" with windshield wipers on them on the bench. Court with him was always a circus. My main judge was so-so. He was very political, and protected certain folks in the process. You never knew how a case would go with him. He liked to see multiple charges on someone so he could dismiss all but one. The third judge was very fair. If it was a solid case, you got a conviction and at least a minimum on the fine. He didn't want someone loaded up on for him to dismiss cases.

If the judge is not going to dismiss everything on these type cases, go on up the TWRA chain of command and offer some assistance. I see no reason why a decoy hog (or deer) that gave off a heat signature couldn't be made. Get a group of landowners together to cover the costs, and offer up your farm for it to be set up on. Once they shoot from the road, that is an additional charge in addition to the thermal charge. Unless the judge is totally unreasonable, I can't see how it wouldn't stick.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I had some time on the mower this afternoon to give this some additional thought. I don't think the "loophole" is insurmountable. I think an officer with a reasonable judge could make those cases all night long. The TWRA rule doesn't have anything to do with someone's statutory right to carry a firearm. It just means you can't be in possession of thermal equipment while doing so. That choice is up to the individual.

I think you may have a judge problem. He may own property with hog issues so he is siding with the culls. He may not want to get into the constitutional rights discussion (although I don't think that is in play). Who knows, but with what you have dealt with, it is worth trying to make an appointment to sit down with him.

While I was full time in the field, I basically had three judges in the two counties I worked the most. One was a total joke. He wore "glasses" with windshield wipers on them on the bench. Court with him was always a circus. My main judge was so-so. He was very political, and protected certain folks in the process. You never knew how a case would go with him. He liked to see multiple charges on someone so he could dismiss all but one. The third judge was very fair. If it was a solid case, you got a conviction and at least a minimum on the fine. He didn't want someone loaded up on for him to dismiss cases.

If the judge is not going to dismiss everything on these type cases, go on up the TWRA chain of command and offer some assistance. I see no reason why a decoy hog (or deer) that gave off a heat signature couldn't be made. Get a group of landowners together to cover the costs, and offer up your farm for it to be set up on. Once they shoot from the road, that is an additional charge in addition to the thermal charge. Unless the judge is totally unreasonable, I can't see how it wouldn't stick.
As I was reading earlier posts. A Tic Toc Hog with Heat occurred to me as a way to fight this.
Fight Technology with Technology Can TWRA put Drones up to help officers ?
Wish there were mandatory Fines and points against your license for violations . Seems like it would deter repeat offenders.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Most hunters we take are in groups of 2 to 4. We cover alot ground be hard put each hunter on each landowners permit. Cause we never no what property we will engage hogs on.
You may want to rethink Posting This on a Public Forum. You could have some unwanted company knocking on your door..

scn

As I was reading earlier posts. A Tic Toc Hog with Heat occurred to me as a way to fight this.
Fight Technology with Technology Can TWRA put Drones up to help officers ?
Wish there were mandatory Fines and points against your license for violations . Seems like it would deter repeat offenders.
No, drones are off limits for TWRA law enforcement.

PickettSFHunter

As someone very experienced in shooting hogs with thermal, albeit legally, I would input that a heated hog decoy would have to be very realistic. Thermals now have very good resolution unless you're running the cheap stuff. The other thing is, hogs are always moving, rarely being still. I think it would be hard to build one realistic enough to fool an experienced thermal hunter. Thermal has been such a catch 22 here. Gives folks like me the ability to really control hogs but also causes so many issues. The powers that be in Nashville would freak if they knew how many big deer are taken that way anymore. Bait, cell camera, suppressor, thermal is the new rage.

Planking

What danger? People doing illegal chit? I think you are blaming them for something out of their control. It's like asking them to stop mass shootings.
They can stop spotlighting.

I just get defensive when people start saying you're incorrect when you have 100 people outside your window using thermals in the street. Maybe it is a judge issue or a DA i don't know it's just frustrating having to become a criminal yourself to fight thugs at your home.

Ochunter

Out of 17 pigs shot this weekend this was only one tagged with a number to call on it

Attachments

• Snapchat-615411859.jpg
    Snapchat-615411859.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts