Getting the dogs in shape!

rabbit hunter

It was cool last Sunday, so I let all the beagles out behind the house. They went straight to the dozer pile, and the race was on. They went from there to the thicket. They ran all day, I called a few times, but got ignored. :grin: They were glad to be running. Finally about 5pm they came home wore out! They went straight to the water buckets. They slept all night, didn't hear a peep. :D Now that it's cooling down, I'll run them like that on the weekends so when rabbit season opens they will be in shape.

tailchaser

I love to hear them run,now is a great time to get um in shape,I lost 2 good dogs back in march,I bought one few weeks ago and he an't worth a hoot,guy said he was a good hunter so I took his word,will not be doing that anymore,if they can't show em in the field Im not buying.

Mud Creek

I Cant wait! I been running hard since season went out just waitin on it to start back up!! About to post a video in a minute. Got a trial coming up somewhere in East TN this weekend I think then at Music City the first weekend in Oct. Good way to lead into the season!

RackHntr

Mud Creek said:
I Cant wait! I been running hard since season went out just waitin on it to start back up!! About to post a video in a minute. Got a trial coming up somewhere in East TN this weekend I think then at Music City the first weekend in Oct. Good way to lead into the season!
I run mine every weekend. I hunt a few UKC trials. What type of trialing do you do?

rabbit hunter

I have 6 beagles, grade dogs, 3-6 year old. 5 tri-color and 1 beautiful black and tan. Sunday's run was picture perfect, 6 dogs on the line, lined up in a perfect line.

RackHntr

rabbit hunter said:
I have 6 beagles, grade dogs, 3-6 year old. 5 tri-color and 1 beautiful black and tan. Sunday's run was picture perfect, 6 dogs on the line, lined up in a perfect line.
What would you say their speed is? Mines run to catch style but they stay on the line pretty good.

Mud Creek

RackHntr said:
Mud Creek said:
I run mine every weekend. I hunt a few UKC trials. What type of trialing do you do?

AKC SPO gonna try some gundog brace if i can..i run some line bred FC glynns gay demon with some old stubby blood what do you run?

@rackhunter nothin wrong with that run/feed what you like! I ran grade dogs only until a old timer got me started on papers its addictive! I love looking at and studying pedigrees plus the trials seem like a blast! But meat on the table matters most, Sammy didnt care much for green ribbon but woulda loved to had a rabbit bein dangled over him after a race/kill!!!

tailchaser

I took mine out today,he did run one,but he is just to slow for my liking,guess im going try and get rid of him,I love hunting rabbits and running dogs,I dont know anything about trials never been to one

rabbit hunter

I have run both grade and paper dogs. That piece of paper doesn't matter to me. I used to run Lil Nip Otis, Blackjack blood, which I did really enjoy. They seemed to have an awesome desire to hunt. The grades I hunt now are the same way though. My dogs average 6-7 on speed, a little more if needed. They are the fastest dogs I've ever owned. I have one female that is a bit slower, but she hangs right in there with the rest.

rabbit hunter

smstone22 said:
Had ours out a few times. Seems to be a good year for rabbits around here.

I have seen more rabbits this year than I have in a long time. I am plentiful at the house, but I don't hunt those. They are for running the dogs only. Should be a super super year!

Latest posts