Florida Ride'n ~ 900 miles so far

dg7080

Rode my little scooter down here this week. Rode all the way out to the end of St George Island this afternoon. Done almost a 1,000 miles since we left home Saturday, now we got to ride it back home.

dg7080

Again, my choice. I'll wear a helmet if required, but if I have a choice, I'll not wear one. I may be stupid, but I've been called worse.

dg7080

89, nope you won't convice me!

I'm 48 and I've been riden bikes since I was 14. I had a good childhood friend get killed on one when we were teenagers (he was wearing a helmet), had several other friends do hospital time from bike crashes, and I have been face down on the dirt, gravel, and payment myself. So I know a little about bikes, wrecks, and wearing helmets.

I bet most helmet advocates cruise along at 70+ mph all the time on their bikes. Whats the survivability rate at that speed, helmet or not? Not too good... A lady in our town was killed on her bike just 2 weeks ago going 65 and she was wearing a helmet, lost control and hit the guard rail.

A friend of my daughters was killed last month driving her car. She was hit broadside by another vehicle as she left a parking lot. Her head crashed up against her sister's head who was riding with her that afternoon. Had they booth been wearing helmets in that car, she'd still be here today. So I reckon we need a helmet laws for cars and trucks as well. You can always make a case for it.

Seriously, I have nothing against a helmet, I own 4 of them, but given the choice, I'll not wear it. My wife tells me I'm stupid and so do you, but thats ok. my life, my bike, my choice (in some states anyways)! :D