Even after 3 clusters in one morning, it all came together for #2

themanpcl

This will be lengthy so for those who need it: TLDR: Don't quit after the first, second or third clusterF*%# of the morning. Background: Private property, about 80 acres, half woods and half pasture. I'm hunting about 40 of it. East side a neighboring hunter trespasses frequently. West side of property, house being built about 150-200 yds from the property line (all woods in between belonging to another owner). Easement runs 1/2 mile from main road up to the top of the field along property line to get to the property house is being built on. Saturday morning zero dark thirty, took a while but bird finally gobbled on east side of property. I head that way. Hear gobbles along the way. Make my plan and ease in to where I plan to sit. Went against my better thinking of slipping through woods and instead walked up to a clearing. ClusterF*%#1. Seems the gobbler flew down and was in the field as I approached. I saw him, he saw me and he slipped back into woods. Called a bit, no luck. ClusterF*%#2. I back out and try to maybe get ahead of him and set up. I go about 150 yds west and then cut south into the woods and set up on a favorite scratching area. Feeling good. Start calling and get a couple gobbles and talkback from the hens back east of me. Feeling good. Gobbler fires off again a few times before the "neighbor" fires. No more gobbles. Only hens. Pissed, but I keep calling and wouldn't you know it, a gobble 50 yds west of me (away from the trespasser). Feeling good. Me and Tom are chatting and I feel like a meeting is in order. He was in the tree for a long time, little concerned, but still feeling good. He flew down but seemed to be going west away from me. Well crap. Not a really good plan to cut him off from here as I am not a trespasser and adhere to property lines. I keep trying to get him in and I hear a bird close. Directly behind me. Cannot move. I am able to move my eyes around far enough to see a jake about 10 ft from me. He doesn't spook. Just goes east toward the hens I had heard. I keep calling after a bit. Gobbles from further west. Well crap. Cluster #3. I stand up, gather the cams and gear. Head west to find a spot to call more. 30 feet and big gobbler (who made no noise for a half hour mind you) flies up and north. Well crap. I sit for 30 mins and call but no returns. I move to the top of a hill at the property line south. Call but only gobbles are from the one that went away early. Now for context, last week I called a gobbler more than a half mile away but never got him closer than about 200 yds from the property line (west side near where the new house is being built). I figure, what could it hurt. I sneak over to the west side on the field edge. I'm directly across the field 100 yds from property line. I sit and get out the ole box (wind picked up). There he was. Same place as last week, half mile away. We had a few conversations and I could tell he was about the same distance. After a few calling sequences, hes cut distance in half. Excited. He keeps moving my way and hammering. I set up the cam on the tripod, point to where I think he will come out if he gets this far. I call, he hammers. He's really close now. 50 yds from property line but in the woods so I can't see where he is. I'm feeling that familiar heart pounding every gobble. I'm ready. Looking at where I expect him to come out. he gobbles and crap, he's under the property line fence and on me now at 100 yds. Can't move the cam cause he's walking right to me. He stops and struts and puts on a show. I get to move the cam but turns out I got a great video of leaves..lol...(wearing go pro on hat though) He's getting closer and putting on a great show so I'm letting him. Then the unthinkable. Ever hear what an aluminum ladder bouncing in a trailer coming up a gravel easement sounds like when your bird is at 40 yds? He stops to look. Truck still 1/4 mile away. He's getting antsy though. Well crap. It's time. I move the barrel toward him. Through the tree, leaves, branches. I have a leaf over my bead and over my eye so can't see it. Welp, boom. Knocks him silly and he runs toward me with neck bent in half. Shuck a shell and boom. Now he's circling. Shuck and boom. I'm not chasing him. That was one of the most fun and satisfying hunt's I have had. Beard 10 1/2", Spurs 1", Weight over 20 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_095651484_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220423_095651484_HDR.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20220423_100149962.jpg
    IMG_20220423_100149962.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20220423_091805473.jpg
    IMG_20220423_091805473.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20220423_091742887_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220423_091742887_HDR.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 133

themanpcl

Fun hunt. Hate trespassers. You've got more patience than me.
I had a couple of those hunts last year so it's kind of my thing now...lol..I watch the video frequently. Hate trespassers too. When its someone the land owner knows..If it was my property, wouldn't have an issue but don't want to put the landowner in a bad spot....

Latest posts