Elko pulls a Kiffin

Gravey

And bolts in the middle of the night. This is the part that gets me. Why straight up lie to your players? They should understand you were the DC for 4 years at A&M and it's a better job opportunity. Just be honest with them.

It was reported by multiple outlets on Sunday afternoon that Elko had told his players and coaches at Duke that he was offered the Texas A&M job but a decision would be made in 24 hours whether he would accept

PillsburyDoughboy

Things happen fast when your hired. You are in go mode the moment you sign on the dotted line. You are already recruiting mode the moment you step off that campus thinking which players you want to steal and staff.

Not much time for hugs and kisses.

themanpcl

I'll preface with I HATE KIFFIN. Now, that said....IMHO - In this climate of college football coaching, you have no security. You can win a natty and still get the boot (Ed O) Back in the day, you could count on your university being behind you through thick and thin. Now, it's "what have you done for me". If I'm a coach these days, even on the best terms with my university, when a better job comes up, probably going to bolt. I would be loyal while I'm there but can't sacrifice a possibly great opportunity for "likes"...

PalsPal

I'll preface with I HATE KIFFIN. Now, that said....IMHO - In this climate of college football coaching, you have no security. You can win a natty and still get the boot (Ed O) Back in the day, you could count on your university being behind you through thick and thin. Now, it's "what have you done for me". If I'm a coach these days, even on the best terms with my university, when a better job comes up, probably going to bolt. I would be loyal while I'm there but can't sacrifice a possibly great opportunity for "likes"...

Then why not tell the players that he was leaving, like a man, instead of giving them a glimmer of hope?

Gravey

Things happen fast when your hired. You are in go mode the moment you sign on the dotted line. You are already recruiting mode the moment you step off that campus thinking which players you want to steal and staff.

Not much time for hugs and kisses.
I get all of that but man up and be honest with your current team. Don't tell them you will decide in 24 hours then bolt in the middle of the night and not tell them anything but probably hear it from the AD. You owe them that!

Latest posts