easiest style hook to set?

Wooden Arrow

i get into some very nice smallmouth each spring that are hammering shad about 4" long, with hybrids/rockfish mixed in. all streamer flies that large seem to have hooks dang near too big to properly set with my fly rod. i hate having 20" plus smallies hit, jump twice, and come unbuttoned! these hooks get sharpened, both the flies i buy and those i tie myself...the hybrid/schoolie rock are not a problem. :confused:

mike52

May try circle hooks with live bait. You don't set hook after you feel the strike or pickup, just reel like a SOB. Hook will turn and catch them in the corner of the mouth every time. For smallies may try #2/0 or #4/0

7mm08

My go to hooks for redfish & saltwater trout

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 6

MS_Strut

i get into some very nice smallmouth each spring that are hammering shad about 4" long, with hybrids/rockfish mixed in. all streamer flies that large seem to have hooks dang near too big to properly set with my fly rod. i hate having 20" plus smallies hit, jump twice, and come unbuttoned! these hooks get sharpened, both the flies i buy and those i tie myself...the hybrid/schoolie rock are not a problem. :confused:

Are you strip setting or just yanking the rod as if it were a crank bait or other traditional fishing setup?

I like jig hooks just to keep from getting hung up if possible but you can make most any hook run shank down with streamers if you tie them right.

Wooden Arrow

Are you strip setting or just yanking the rod
yes, both. i've broken 8 lb test stren trying to bury the point. many (most) of the strikes occur as the fly is rising toward the surface swinging below me. literally with maybe a foot or two to go before i pick the fly up to cast again. nerve wracking ...i land maybe one out of 8 fish that hit...i've bought a ten weight for dedicated hybrid/rockfish hunts, but that's a beast to cast all day. :confused:

Setterman

Fascinating. I never really had much issues hooking fish except tarpon on flies. I rarely sharpen hooks except for tarpon and do a ton of smallmouth fishing myself.

Flourocarbon leaders might help as they don't stretch but I'm wondering if your rod is too soft and therefore doesn't have the backbone to drive the hook home. However, if you're Strip setting this shouldn't matter.

One thing that can really affect it is if the flies you're using are so bushy they're eliminating a bunch of the hook gap. What is your go to fly?

Buzzard Breath

My only suggestions, other than what has been given above, is to tie on a smaller stinger hook that'll hang back a couple inches. Other than that, quit swinging flies. The few times I've done it for trout, I've had hard times staying hooked up. So, I just don't do it. I've got buddies that do it all the time and never lose fish. There must be an art to it.

MickThompson

I've never had that issue with a single strip set but it sounds like cheap hooks. I use light wire, super sharp gamakstsu or mustad to tie on. None of those big, clunky tinned saltwater hooks.

Also are you trying to fight them on the rod or the reel? Getting a smallmouth on the reel may be creating slack in the line. You don't need any more drag that what you rod hand provides for them.

Pilchard

yes, both. i've broken 8 lb test stren trying to bury the point. many (most) of the strikes occur as the fly is rising toward the surface swinging below me. literally with maybe a foot or two to go before i pick the fly up to cast again. nerve wracking ...i land maybe one out of 8 fish that hit...i've bought a ten weight for dedicated hybrid/rockfish hunts, but that's a beast to cast all day. :confused:
Is your rod pointed down stream at the fish when it hits? If there is any angle between the rod and the fish, your strip set is ineffective because you're just stripping a bend into the rod instead of making the fly move with any real force.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz. But if I can stick a tarpon with 12lb, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking 8lb on a strip set with a bass.

This sounds more like a technique problem than an equipment problem.

Wooden Arrow

I'm wondering if your rod is too soft
i'm starting to wonder about that myself. in any event, it might be just the nudge i needed to buy a 9 ft 7 wt for streamer fishing. the rod i'm using now lost about 8" of working rod amidships in an unfortunate incident involving a car door. :confused:

Wooden Arrow

I've never had that issue with a single strip set but it sounds like cheap hooks. I use light wire, super sharp gamakstsu or mustad to tie on.

You don't need any more drag that what you rod hand provides for them.
i'm going to go to a thinner wire hook, i think that will help. i am looking for a reel with a drag. not for smallmouth (although i've wished for a drag with big ones) but to try to keep my reel from backlashing when a big hybrid hits at my rod tip and nearly takes the rod away...

Pilchard

yes, rod tip in line with flyline. do you stick all of them? or do some toss the hook ? i've got a diamond hone now, looking forward to spring...
Most certainly not but the percentage is higher than 1 out of 8 fish that get stuck. I'd say it's closer to 7 out of 8.

If you are hooking other species without issues, I don't think it's your hook or your rod.

This isn't perfect but does a fair job of explaining what I think is happening.

Latest posts