Duck hunting

rukiddin

When I hunted divers over big water, I always liked 1's or 2's. CLose in shots such as timber shooting, 2's, 3's or 4's. Never been a big fan of the 4's on big ducks but for woodies and teal there fine. I shoot an improved cylinder pretty much all the time, but some of the newer extended chokes (pattern master, kicks, carlsons)may suit you better, I just have'nt gotten around to buying one.

JThuntsalot

I always shoot 1's or 2's open water, timber anywhere and only 3 inch. I have killed just as many with 3 inch than I have with 3 1/2 and a improved cylinder every once and awhile on the river I might stick in the Modified but not often

Duck Tracker

I shoot 6's on wood ducks in cypress sloughs along the mississippi and when big duck opens I go to 2's but I love 1's but they are hard to find.

The green timber we hunt in arkansas I will use them 6's cause it is usually a 30 yard shot at most.

I like a modified steel choke.

Taylor

Modified.

Don't know why, but 3 shot patterns, and seems more lethel than any, as far as the steel goes. May just be my gun?

If you can find it on the shelf, buy it and try it out.

Those kent tungsten matrix 2 3/4, No. 5 shots will dish-rag 'em dead, too. Those shotshells remind me of what a baby magnum 2 3/4-inch lead, No. 6 used to do, ah those were the days. Well, actually the baby mags will probably still do that, it will just "cost" you to experiment. LOL.

The banning of lead. Engesting lead shot, was killing birds? I still call fowl on that research, well, I mean I call "foul" on that research. I have a friend from La., that worked on studies and he swears it is true...but I find it hard to believe, especially when the flooded places so many hunt (and shot over) were plowed under annually.

Latest posts