Chowder

bowriter

R.I.P.
Don't know if I can eat but I have had a hankering for some chowder. I am thinking shrip and clams. But for the life of me, I can't remember how I use to make it. Anybody got a real good chowder recipe.

Hawk

bowriter said:
Don't know if I can eat but I have had a hankering for some chowder. I am thinking shrip and clams. But for the life of me, I can't remember how I use to make it. Anybody got a real good chowder recipe.

I use this recipe. Needs a little hot sauce and Hungarian paparika. I have used everything from clams to halibut.

1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
4 cups water
6 cups diced peeled potatoes
2 pounds fresh or frozen cod fillets, cut
into large chuncks 3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups milk
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
Chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion in butter. Add water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes; cook for 10 minutes. Add fish and lemon juice; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add milk, evaporated milk, salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.

green doe

Oh, I like the idea of evaporated milk. Never would have thought about putting that in there but it's genius.

green doe

I've gotta admit, I've never made a chowder. But how about some bacon or at least cooking the onions in bacon grease to start it off? That would add some great flavor. It may overpower it, though. But everything's better with bacon.

A

Anonymous

That's the way we make it up North Green Doe.. Bacon and Onions..Then we use large fillets of Trout also...

green doe

Mmmm...trout.

Oh I almost forgot Culver's has walleye during Lent. I gotta go get some before Easter.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I recall I always started with finely chopped bacon. I remember that much and I never added potatoes. But Hawks' recipe is close. I also always used heavy cream. I got the recipe I used from a lady New Brunswick. She is no longer among us. But she made a salmon and shellfish chowder that would knock you over.
As I said, I probably can't eat it but I am going to hit the stove and make me some. I just want to cook.

GD- I have a package or two of walleye in the freezer.

bowriter

R.I.P.
One thing about making a chowder-you can't do it in a small pot. I have a #24 Dutch oven I use.

Dang, I'm getting hungry. Last night I had a half-piece of fried chicken. First fried dead chicken I have had in six months. So far, kinda stayed with me. Maybe I am getting better.

Double-D-Team

green doe said:
I've gotta admit, I've never made a chowder. But how about some bacon or at least cooking the onions in bacon grease to start it off? That would add some great flavor. It may overpower it, though. But everything's better with bacon.

You can say that again...BACON,BACON,BACON....