Chaney...

bowriter

R.I.P.
A beef tenderloin is the fillet mignon. The first step in a light marinade. I like olive oil, worch. sauce and a touch of Adolphs meat tenderizer...not much. Then cover the entire cut with sliced onions and a little garlic. I then add maybe a 1/2 cup of red wine. Marinade for an hour or maybe two. Not too long.

Remove from marinade scrape off with knife blade. Do not trim fat off as you would with deer. I don't like mine wrapped in bacon as many do. Then just grill on indirect heat to an internal temperature of 150 degrees. Remove from heat and let sit for at least 15 minutes. Then slice against the grain.

mike243

a great piece of meat deserves to be cooked on a charcoal grill or with wood,dont be afraid to drop some big pieces of onion into the grill as you cook it,if you must use gas drop a few small pieces of hickory shagbark into the burners,not too much or it can be too strong,mike243

bowriter

R.I.P.
Mike-you are right but you may want to try this. Soak your shag bark in water, then wrap in aluminum foil. Poke a few holes in the foil and place on fire. I also use hickory nuts soaked in water the same way. I just like to hear them scream. Keeps the ashes out of the gas burners.

Hawk

Here is a classic recipe:

Ch�teaubriand, the classic steak for two made from a center-cut filet, requires little dressing up. Like most high-quality cuts, it's best cooked rare to medium. Serve with saut�ed julienned vegetables.

Yield: Makes 2 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes Total time
Total Time: 30 minutes

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 (10-ounce) center-cut beef tenderloin
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup red wine (whatever you're drinking)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled

1. Preheat oven to 450�F.

2. In an ovenproof, heavy-bottomed frying pan, heat the olive oil over high heat until hot but not smoking.

3. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then brown it in the pan on all sides.

4. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast until the meat's internal temperature reaches 130�F (for rare), 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.

5. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and tent it with foil.

6. Pour all but a thin film of fat from the pan.

7. Add the shallot and saut it over medium-low heat until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.

8. Add the wine and raise the heat to high, scraping up any brown bits from the pan.

9. When the sauce is syrupy (about 5 minutes), turn off the heat and whisk in the butter.

10. Carve the meat in thick slices and drizzle with the pan sauce.

jb3

During winter time, when I don't want to fire up the grill, that's how I'll do steak and that's the way a lot of restaurants do steak, sear it, transfer to really hot oven and serve. I do like the sound when the steak hits that black iron skillet when it's piping hot.

mike243

john i got a cast iron boxamathang to put it in,i put it off to 1 side to keep it from burning off too quick,the lid keeps it from having a open flame,it will smolder for a decent amount of time in any case,mike243

Latest posts