Burial mounds?

buckdead

Was riding around hitting up some back roads with a old timer in lynchburg today and he pointed at a mound of earth and said it was where indians where burried. he pointed out 3-4 of them down along a dead end road. is that what the mounds where? ive heard that before just didnt know wether or not to believe him. :)

mike243

yep he told you correct,bad thing is alot have been dug up to some degree,id say its a big fine to get caught doing it but have heard tales of it being done,mike243

buckdead

cool. guess that would be a good place to look for arrow heads. the mounds sit about 1/4 mile from elk river. im going to be doin some turkey hunting out there this spring. im going to keep my open for some arrow heads, because ive never found one and i think they are really neat.

Stoner

Have you noticed that Indian mounds for the most part are untouched. Good question is why have those Indian mounds have not been touch over hundreds of years. Whether it is true or not, I have heard that part of the Indian burial ceremony was that a curse was place over these mounds to protect them over the years from desecration. The curse attached to the person desecrating the mound and their families.

Piddler

R.I.P.
A lot of the mounds were not burial mounds. They were their main council meeting houses. Several years ago I done volunteer work with UT along the Little Tenn. river before Tellico dam was built. We excavated one that was approx 30ft. high and 60ft. dia.
It had been built over a period of approx 150 years. Every few year they would burn it down. They would cover the ashes with a new layer of soil and rebuild. This happened over and over. A layer of soil. A layer of ashes. There was only one burial in it. They figured it was an important chief. There were two other bodies. A woman and baby in the ashes. Probably died in an accidental fire and left there. When we reached the bottom layer thg original post holes were still there. Some had fiiled with dirt but, some were just a hole in the ground. If I remember right, the bottom layer dated around 1400 AD.

Piddler

R.I.P.
That's the one tndrbstr. I done volunteer for 3 years. It was very interesting. One grave I started but didn't get to finish had seven individuals in it all chopped to pieces. They figured they were probably oposing warriors from a battle that had been fought. The Cherokee garbage pits were interesting. Never knew what you wold find. I one I found the action of a Brown Betsy. One of the archeologist had fond a barrel in the cornfield at the site. Both were put in electrolyte. It was amazing how they cleaned up. The barrel and action were put together and at one time were hanging over the stairs as you go down into the basemen of McClung muesum. Richard Polhemus (sp) wrote the book on the site. Can't remember the name of the book.

backstraps

I know several locations where rock mounds are. One of my favorites is on top of a hill in the woods over looking a creek. There are about 7-8 rock mounds back there. I seen another this weekend I have not noticed before! Neat to see stuff like that!

Team Browning

Some out on Williams Island here in Chattanooga that were from the Indian village there and not burial sites like the ones across the river at Moccasin Bend. Was out ther with Dr Honerkamp several years back and got the story on those.