BSK Video Productions

TheLBLman

BSK, I'm struggling with finding the time to review trail cam video clips,
which is much more time consumptive than "still" pic reviews.

Also struggling with the most ideal cam settings when using video.
10 seconds is too short, imo, as I prefer 5 to 8 still pics, 1 second apart, rather than video.

Trying to determine if better off with 20-second or 30-second video clips,
as well as the down time between them.

One problem with video clips vs stills
is the "recovery" time between triggering events
for which is much longer with video.

Then, a 30-second vid takes 50% more storage
and 50% more time to view than a 20-second one!

While I enjoy the video clips,
may be losing as much as gained, overall,
in part due to the longer "down" time required
between triggering events?

Perfect solution is 2 cams,
one set to video,
the other set to stills.
But not enough time to properly view all this,
at least on a timely basis.

TheLBLman

I have been TRENDING towards a 2-cam setup at each location,
one being a cell cam shooting still pics,
the other being non-cell shooting video.

Yes, the Browning Spec Ops Elite HP4 & 5 produce awesome video!
Not sure how the battery life is going to hold up,
but these units appear to go longer than most others.
But true "black" flash video EATS BATTERIES!

Last edited:

BSK

I've looked at 10-second clips versus 20 second clips. I find there is a lot more "wasted space" on 20-second clips, in that there is a lot more video time/space used on the last 10 seconds that don't have a deer in it. Now that isn't always the case with food plot feeding and scraping. Often a buck spends a minute or more at a scrape, but then I have my cams set at 10 second video with 5 second delay for scrapes, and 10 second video with 1 minute delay over food plots.

BSK

Oh, and the video review time is exorbitant!

I am NOT recommending my clients switch to video for their camera censuses. I would never get through all those videos. But I do use it for my personal census, simply because I'm not collecting as many videos as they would (I'm running 8 cameras, while some of my clients are running 30+).

Mr.Bro

Been using the two camera setup for many years. Pics only. This way I figured with 2 cameras maybe at least 1 would work.
Really do use a backup to my videos with a backup pic only. Mainly cause I got em and might as well use em. I see very few pics that the videos missed.

TheLBLman

I've looked at 10-second clips versus 20 second clips.
Well, sounds like you've made the decision of opting for something LESS than 30 seconds :)

I find there is a lot more "wasted space" on 20-second clips, in that there is a lot more video time/space used on the last 10 seconds that don't have a deer in it.
This is part of why I've been using Browning cams programmed often programmed to take 7 pics, 1 second apart, with a single triggering event, which would be somewhat comparable to a 7-second video clip.

The advantage I see with the 7-pic still clips is I can review them in a small fraction the time it takes to review 10-second video clips, plus, the still imagery is superior. No, there isn't any sound, which is sometimes useful & appreciated.

The Browning cams I use will program up to 8 pics per triggering event, but I've typically just "liked" using 7. And with the Browning cell cams, I can remotely change the settings quickly, unlike some others that may take "up to 24 hrs". I commonly have a "delay" between triggering events of 5 to 20 seconds, but "like" the ability to change that quickly, to say 1 second, or even 1 minute.

Often a buck spends a minute or more at a scrape, but then I have my cams set at 10 second video with 5 second delay for scrapes, and 10 second video with 1 minute delay over food plots.

Each situation is different.
As I transition more to cell cams, I'm liking the 3 to 7-pic "still" option, with the ability to quickly change the "delay" between triggering events. Eventually, all my setup traps will likely be one non-cell running video, and one cell cam running still pics.

Speedwell-Hunter

I've looked at 10-second clips versus 20 second clips. I find there is a lot more "wasted space" on 20-second clips, in that there is a lot more video time/space used on the last 10 seconds that don't have a deer in it. Now that isn't always the case with food plot feeding and scraping. Often a buck spends a minute or more at a scrape, but then I have my cams set at 10 second video with 5 second delay for scrapes, and 10 second video with 1 minute delay over food plots.
10-15 second is all u need, otherwise by bye batteries

TheLBLman

The Brownings are a little easier on batteries, but still, you're only looking at 3-5 months with lithium AAs running black-flash video.
And if not running true black flash (invisible), the risk of spooking mature deer is just too great, even though battery life is significantly better with the "red" flash of most cheaper cams.

For my uses, running video on cell cams almost defeats the purpose of using cell cams, due to the reduced battery life. But every application is a different purpose, and I do see some cell cam situations where video can make more sense than still pics.

I currently have some Browning cell cams being used for security that are programmed for 4 rapid-fire pics with only a 1-second delay between the volleys. No sound, but this is very similar to video, yet provides much clearer images, less battery drain, and much quicker to review. Another advantage is the quicker trigger speed (still pics), whereas with video, a car driving by might be getting out of sight before video begins.

I'm using 4 because if a vehicle drives by at a rather normal speed, I get the front of the car 1st pic, and license plate by 3rd or 4th pic, with the 2nd volley kicking in almost seamlessly as the vehicle goes out of sight. Whether the vehicle goes faster or slower, still get it all. That would end up being roughly a 10-second "video" clip.

Last edited:

BSK

Over two seasons I've only had one camera run out of battery power. I install all new batteries at the beginning of the season (early August) and run them to mid-January. Two seasons ago, by late December, I had a food plot cam which was getting a lot of night triggers start to shut off the night video after only a few seconds. But daytime videos were full length. Changed the batteries, and that was the problem; full-length night videos again.

Latest posts