Bluegill/Shellcrackers

Chickencoop96

Does anyone have any tips on locating and catching big bluegill and shellcracker?, i've always been a crappie and bass fisherman but i've always wanted to try and catch a slew of these bad boys and fry em.

Levee Jumper

In approximately 49 Weeks (right around the full moon in May) look for hard/gravel bottom in the backs of pockets primarily near run-ins. Shell Crackers prefer a night crawler either on a short drop shot or weightless. Bluegill will eat anything but I prefer a 1/80 oz. grizzly jig tipped with a waxworm under a small weighted bobber. Bluegill will do it again in June and July but the biggest portion of the shellcrackers have done their thing and gone.

WTM

depends on which lake youre fishing. the lake i fish i can still catch some good fish shallow 4-8 ft about now. pea gravel with with wood is what i look for. shellcracker also like contour structures like old creek bends, ditches, etc. i fan cast a feather light popeye jig tipped with a gulp lil minnow(chartreuse) or gulp pink waxies. jig weight depends but usually 1/32 or 1/64.

if i dont catch many keeper fish then i head deep, 15 ft is the starting point. i scan the secondary structure toward the main lake ledges. i look for the creek ledges with any wood around and dips in the contour.

i also like mid lake humps that fall into deeper water. if there is grass on it the better. here ill drop shot or mini carolina rig with red worms if they aint taking the jig.

no joke, ive pulled nice gills and shellcracker out of 30 ft of water off the main lake ledges.

but be forewarned if you go deep, use a 7ft light or med light fast action rod and a reel with a good drag. a gasper goo will absolutely trash an ultra light rig and light line and theyre usually right there with them.

BigRod

When they start to spawn look for for red clay/ pebble bottoms. There beds look like a big moon crater surrounded by shells ( hints the name shellcracker) normally I'd use a 1/16th fly tipped with 1/3 of a night crawler, now it's up to you if you use a cork or not.

Latest posts