Bald Cypress

Swampster

Not exactly a QDM question, but I recently planted a bunch of these in clearings my bottomland. Will the bucks tear these up in a few year like they do pine trees? I know I planted about 100 loblolly pines years ago and some of them got torn up so bad they died. Seemed like they favored them once the trunk diameter reached about an inch and a half to three or four inches in diameter.

wildlifefarmer

Not exactly a QDM question, but I recently planted a bunch of these in clearings my bottomland. Will the bucks tear these up in a few year like they do pine trees? I know I planted about 100 loblolly pines years ago and some of them got torn up so bad they died. Seemed like they favored them once the trunk diameter reached about an inch and a half to three or four inches in diameter.
I planted about a dozen around my pond that has high deer traffic. They didn't bother them but tore up the oaks that were planted nearby

Rick Dillard

Preferred tree species for rubbing will vary by region. Bald cypress are the preferred tree in swamps and bottomlands where I hunt in Mississippi. The majority of small cypress trees along buck travel routes will usually have rub scars on them. There is a good probability that some of your cypress will get rubbed. You may want to look at getting some tree protectors. However, it has been my observation that bald cypress are a lot tougher than other tree species and stand a much greater chance of recovering from injury. I have some in my back yard that have been gnawed on (even cut down) by beavers multiple years and they usually bounce back. If you can get them up to 3 or 4 years old where they have a strong root system they have a much greater chance of surviving injury.

7mmWSM

I planted 10 and when they got about an 1"-1-1/2" diameter they shredded everyone of them.

Latest posts