Arizona Desert Ironwood Burl

Yotehntr

I've stopped taking "orders"...it takes the fun out of what I want to stay a hobby.. that being said, I have a buddy that has bought quite a few of my upper end calls. He kind of dropped some hints at what he would be interested in seeing.. and since I like the materials he was interested in, I've started putting one together. I'll let him know when I'm going to post it for sale, since it's the materials he likes. This is a Desert Ironwood burl barrel, with an elephant Ivory bead. When I get it complete it'll have a Hippo tooth ivory toneboard.

Ordered a few pieces of Desert Ironwood... this is one of 'em sitting on my little bandsaw.. isn't it cool to know that the good 'ol USA has something this nice as a "domestic" wood!!! Some of the prettiest stuff I get to work with! :)
2011-09-02_09-48-27_931-1.jpg

I'm a bit of a lazy son of a gun... don't like the square smacking my tools so I cut it round for my lathe:
2011-09-02_09-50-06_127.jpg

I cut a "step" into it, and already had my Ivory turned round and drilled to dimension... slide it on and glue it up:
2011-09-02_10-05-08_126.jpg

I go ahead and cut my bead.. and remove the excess for the next call.. I store it in a baggie, Ivory will crack if not taken good care of.
2011-09-02_10-29-29_125.jpg

Here I've turned the call... it's on a "pin" mandrel here.. I've sanded it, and put a little linseed oil on it.. makes the finish "POP". It's still a long way from being done but thought ya'll might like to see some of the progress.
2011-09-03_01-00-02_694.jpg

Hogbear

Hate to say how much ironwood we burned for cooking and camp fires when I lived in Arizona, but it was just laying around everywhere on the ground in King Valley. That stuff is hard on a saw blade.

Yotehntr

Hogbear said:
Hate to say how much ironwood we burned for cooking and camp fires when I lived in Arizona, but it was just laying around everywhere on the ground in King Valley. That stuff is hard on a saw blade.

Man that hurts to hear! It sure is some pretty stuff... of course this is burl, wish I could just find it laying around here!

Thanks for the compliments guys! I still haven't gotten it together... man this heat will steal a guys energy won't it!

Yotehntr

confused.gif
Well this took a little longer than I'd planned on... working to much overtimes been getting in the way of my hobbies! LOL Well I finally got it put together. It sold before I had it all the way put together.

It's a Desert Ironwood Burl barrel, with an Elephant Ivory bead. It is followed with one of my o-ring fitted Hippo Ivory toneboards. Both pieces are carrying my CA finish inside and out, buffed and polished to a very high gloss. I hope the new owner will like it!

9-3-11-004.jpg

9-3-11-010.jpg

9-3-11-008.gif
9-4-11r.gif

encore06

That is as beautiful a call as I've ever seen. If it was me, I would be afraid of losing it to actually use it, but man what a piece for the desk/mantle/book case. Great Work!!!!!

Yotehntr

Thanks guys! Heck I wouldn't worry about loosing one.. I can make more! :) In all seriousness I would use a good lanyard. I can suggest some guys that make 'em if you're interested.

Latest posts