Any full-time taxidermist here?

AT Hiker

If so, how long you been in business and have the last couple years done ok?

Im not as I only do whitetail and the occasional mule deer/pronghorn.

Anyways, Ive been hearing from other taxidermist in the mid West that business is slow. Hard to imagine with all these big deer being killed that people arent having them mounted. So maybe deer numbers are down, maybe its the economy or maybe its the cut throat side of this industry where the fly by the night taxidermist is raking in the business.

I take in 30 deer max per year. I have heard that some guys close to be take in 100 but Im not certain on that. However, what they charge barely covers material cost so maybe they do take in that many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prowler

I can't even find one that stays in business more than a few years lol. The last 2 I've had done were decent at best. Both by different taxis. The ones previous to that were excellent but he doesn't do taxi work anymore. I have an acquaintance that's been doing euros for a few years and recently started doing shoulder mounts, he's getting a lot of business but he's barely charging over materials price as you stated and his work isn't exactly top notch yet. I have 2 that need to be redone and another I need to get a cape for and have done. Just don't trust anyone that I'm gonna get a quality mount.

AT Hiker

Prowler":8fk4uux9 said:
I can't even find one that stays in business more than a few years lol. The last 2 I've had done were decent at best. Both by different taxis. The ones previous to that were excellent but he doesn't do taxi work anymore. I have an acquaintance that's been doing euros for a few years and recently started doing shoulder mounts, he's getting a lot of business but he's barely charging over materials price as you stated and his work isn't exactly top notch yet. I have 2 that need to be redone and another I need to get a cape for and have done. Just don't trust anyone that I'm gonna get a quality mount.

In the industry we have taxidermist and hackidermist, haha.

I believe Im the most expensive in my county and Im still under priced. Crazy enough is I get a lot of my customers from outside my county. Price shopping and taxidermy is not always wise.

alwaysoutdoors

AT Hiker":2g5cmkve said:
Prowler":2g5cmkve said:

In the industry we have taxidermist and hackidermist, haha.

I believe Im the most expensive in my county and Im still under priced. Crazy enough is I get a lot of my customers from outside my county. Price shopping and taxidermy is not always wise.

What do you charge?

Jones taxidermy

I have been full time since 1982 did taxidermy part time and as a hobby 10 years before that ... Do good work..Treat people right and get there mount back to them in a reasonable time ,,months not years .. charge a fair price ! And you will never have a lack of work.... I do all phases to taxidermy . Fish ,birds ,mammals from a kids first squirrel to a full blown african Safari.. I average around.75 to 100 whitetail shoulder mounts per season along with all the other things that come in thru out the year