6.5-20x

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
I've been on a search for some 80s-90s gloss riflescopes and in the process I ended up with a 6.5-20x40 AO Leupold VX-3.

Actually, I was in the bourbon one night and was afraid I might not find any acceptable optics between now and rifle season so I bid on SEVERAL at once from GB lol.

Fortunately, I ended up with a couple VX-2 C models and a Bushnell Elite 3200 all in a 3-9x which fit my criteria for my deer rifles.

My question is…what do I do with this thing now? How practical is a 6.5-20x optic for "around here"?

I've got a .300WM that currently has a 3.5-12 (or maybe 14..?) that I could swap out for this one as I do hunt CO and UT for Elk occasionally…but I've ever been unhappy with my current optics magnification.

DaveTN

My question is…what do I do with this thing now? How practical is a 6.5-20x optic for "around here"?
A Leupold VX-3 is as good as it gets. For someone that wants a 20 power scope (Maybe varmint, maybe target, or just long distance) and has a walnut and high gloss blue rifle, a gloss Leupold is a home run, since you can't buy them new anymore.

It should go quick if you put a reasonable price on it. Do you know the model #? Do you have the box? How old is it?

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
IMG_3617.jpeg
IMG_3619.jpeg

PillsburyDoughboy

That scope was made in 1991.
I have a 4x12 x40 that I passed onto my son that was made around that same timeframe. I gotta say even though its a Leupold it cannot hold a candle to todays Leupold Glass. When you start getting into Higher Magnification like 20X you really really need GOOD glass. With that said Leupold is good glass but that scope is going on 30 years old and even a entry level crappy 20X scope will probably have better glass than that one.

JMHO. With that said it does have a Dollar value. Just not sure what that value is.

DaveTN

With that said Leupold is good glass but that scope is going on 30 years old and even a entry level crappy 20X scope will probably have better glass than that one.
BS. An entry level crappy scope is better than an 80's or 90's Leupold?? That's ridiculous. No one that knows which end of the barrel the bullet comes out is going to buy into that non-sense. 🤣 🤣

PillsburyDoughboy

BS. An entry level crappy scope is better than an 80's or 90's Leupold?? That's ridiculous. No one that knows which end of the barrel the bullet comes out is going to buy into that non-sense. 🤣 🤣
Dude that's not a VX 3. That's a Vari X 3.
It's going on a 30 year old set of glass.

Not saying it's not a bad optic. It is. Anyone that has followed my optic threads for 5 seconds know I am a huge Leupold fan and regard most other brands as inferior.

But GLASS has evolved in 30 years. If your target shooting and wanting to see the target at 700 to 1000 yards which typically these scopes are employed to. Even a crappy Bushnell will have better glass than a 30 year old Leupold. Now will it be a better scope ?

You be the judge. Depends on what platform you mount it on and what your needs are. If I was hunting Prarie dogs out west and clarity was a must I would probably lean to the Bushnell. If I was banging off rag heads in Afghanistan and my life depended on it the no doubt Leupold would get my vote.

DaveTN

Dude that's not a VX 3. That's a Vari X 3.
It's going on a 30 year old set of glass.

Not saying it's not a bad optic. It is. Anyone that has followed my optic threads for 5 seconds know I am a huge Leupold fan and regard most other brands as inferior.

But GLASS has evolved in 30 years. If your target shooting and wanting to see the target at 700 to 1000 yards which typically these scopes are employed to. Even a crappy Bushnell will have better glass than a 30 year old Leupold. Now will it be a better scope ?

You be the judge. Depends on what platform you mount it on and what your needs are. If I was hunting Prarie dogs out west and clarity was a must I would probably lean to the Bushnell. If I was banging off rag heads in Afghanistan and my life depended on it the no doubt Leupold would get my vote.
You can say anything you want...this is the internet. But saying a "crappy Bushnell will have better glass than a 30 year old Leupold" made me laugh out loud. 🤣

BigCityBubba

The freedom line is a step up from the vari-xIII so depending on which crappy Bushnell you are talking about, it is quite possible that the Bushnell has better glass.

Huntaholic

If its a vari x III Im your huckleberry! Price it! IMHO the vari x III line was the pinnacle of Leupolds. Yeah, Ive got newer ones, simply because I couldnt get the older ones.

tacoma2002

2-Step Enabled
If its a vari x III Im your huckleberry! Price it! IMHO the vari x III line was the pinnacle of Leupolds. Yeah, Ive got newer ones, simply because I couldnt get the older ones.
It is.

All things considered I've got a lot in it. Thought about sticking it on a 25-06 I have just because I've got it now 😆.

I'll shoot you a PM and you can chew on it.

Latest posts