.356 Winchester

Bad habit

So my fishing guide in Maine just got him a Marlin .356 Winchester. Since brass and ammo is hard to find I read you can make the brass from .444 Marlin. Well as I am currently waiting for a load of .444 Marlin brass to get here I found 3 pieces of .444 Marlin in my stash. The rest is history.

After 3 passes thru the FL sizer and trimmed this is the result. I seated and crimped Hornady 200 grain bullets in 2 empty hulls and kept the 3rd as a sample case.

Before I mail these up to Maine to see if they will properly chamber (and they should because the FL size die finished forming them)- is there anybody in Middle Tennessee available to help a brotha out to see if these will properly chamber? They are blank rounds. No primer or powder. Muchas gracias.

Bad habit

Here is the result

Attachments

• 20240104_201955.jpg
    20240104_201955.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 16

Gav-n-Tn

So my fishing guide in Maine just got him a Marlin .356 Winchester. Since brass and ammo is hard to find I read you can make the brass from .444 Marlin. Well as I am currently waiting for a load of .444 Marlin brass to get here I found 3 pieces of .444 Marlin in my stash. The rest is history.

After 3 passes thru the FL sizer and trimmed this is the result. I seated and crimped Hornady 200 grain bullets in 2 empty hulls and kept the 3rd as a sample case.

Before I mail these up to Maine to see if they will properly chamber (and they should because the FL size die finished forming them)- is there anybody in Middle Tennessee available to help a brotha out to see if these will properly chamber? They are blank rounds. No primer or powder. Muchas gracias.
Not close enough to help you out. I have a 94 in 356. It miight have to be fire formed and trimmed again. I'm fortunate enough to have several hundred 356 factory cases. Are you using Hornady FTX bullets?

Gav-n-Tn

Hornady 200 grain RN. The cases are on their way to Maine for function check.
Gotcha. I know the FTX calls for a shorter case length. Winchester engineers advised against using anything other than flat nosed bullets. They feared primers being ignited in the magazine because of the recoil.

Savage

Gotcha. I know the FTX calls for a shorter case length. Winchester engineers advised against using anything other than flat nosed bullets. They feared primers being ignited in the magazine because of the recoil.

Related to that- wasn't that one of the advantages of the Leverloution ammo, with the polymer tips? You could put pointed projectiles in a tubular magazine?

Gav-n-Tn

Related to that- wasn't that one of the advantages of the Leverloution ammo, with the polymer tips? You could put pointed projectiles in a tubular magazine?
I think so. You could run any .358 bullet that would allow proper COAL by running one in the chamber and one in the mag if you're good with just 2 rounds.

44 mag

Just seen this. Not sure where in middle Tn you are. I am in Dickson and you are welcome to come check them or even shoot them. The biggest problem I have with reloaded 356 is that they need a heavy crimp. If not the rounds in the tube will put back in the cases.

Bad habit

Just seen this. Not sure where in middle Tn you are. I am in Dickson and you are welcome to come check them or even shoot them. The biggest problem I have with reloaded 356 is that they need a heavy crimp. If not the rounds in the tube will put back in the cases.
They formed brass fit his chamber great. The ones loaded with a 200gr. Hornady RN would also chamber but not cycle thru the magazine due to length. I have since ordered some Speer 180 grain bullets that are supposed to work. UPS won't deliver them to me until the roads clear. Since the previously formed brass chambered I have since formed 200 more .444 hulls. I will load 5 live test rounds and mail them to him next week.

Gav-n-Tn

They formed brass fit his chamber great. The ones loaded with a 200gr. Hornady RN would also chamber but not cycle thru the magazine due to length. I have since ordered some Speer 180 grain bullets that are supposed to work. UPS won't deliver them to me until the roads clear. Since the previously formed brass chambered I have since formed 200 more .444 hulls. I will load 5 live test rounds and mail them to him next week.
That Speer 180gr FN is the bullet I have currently along with some OEM 250gr. Speer discontinued the 220gr but, FYI, Fury bullets makes a 220gr FN bonded bullet.

Latest posts