Sold/Expired 1999 Mercedes SLK 230 Hard Top Convertible

MsuFinProf

For sale is a 1999 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor hard top convertible. Black with black leather interior, 5 speed manual transmission, all power, heated seats, brand new battery, fairly new tires, and 160,000 miles. This is a dependable and extremely fun car to drive that is in good condition, both mechanically and cosmetically, especially for its age. The paint is still very glossy and the brakes and clutch are great. The electric top operates flawlessly.

This car has been my wife�s daily driver for the past two years but we purchased something with a little more room�which is why we are selling it. We are asking $5,500 cash for the car but I may consider a trade (partial or full with cash going either way) for a nice aluminum Basstracker, Jeep or ATV (4 wheeler or side by side) in excellent condition. Do an internet search and you will find that these cars are hard to find and sell high, but we have hopefully priced ours fairly for a quick sale. The car is located in Murray, KY and any sale will be cash only. We have the title in hand and I can email many additional pictures. If interested please call 270-752-0524 or 270-978-2974 or you can reach me via email at [email protected].

MsuFinProf

One member sent a great question via PM...so I thought I would post the question and my answer here for all to see in case you had a similar question. I have paraphrased the question somewhat to include all maintenance issues.

Any oil leaks, has timing belt or chain been changed, if it has has the water pump, thermostat, belts etc been changed in the process? With the mileage of vehicle what else has to be done in terms of maintenance?

We have owned the car for almost two years. In that time we have only replaced the starter, battery, a radiator hose, put new tires on it, and had the oil changed regularly with Mobil 1 synthetic.

The hose to the headlight washers will leak washer fluid if you try to use them and I have noticed a small coolant leak in the past but have not noticed as much, if any, since replacing the hose. It is sitting in the garage now with no leaks of any type under it. ANY LIQUID SHOWING UNDER THE CAR IN THE PICS IS WHERE IS WAS JUST WASHED. It leaks no oil at all. It seems to have gotten a little louder (exhaust, not engine) over the last few months so it may be time for a muffler replacement but not sure. I only seem to notice it occasionally. I just also noticed the headliner on the passenger side starting to pucker. Of course this does not show at all when the top is down. I tend to be overcritical but want any potential buyer to know any of the negatives.

I simply cannot remember if the previous owner replaced any other components but I do know he took good care of it. It has been a good car for us and had about 132,000 miles on it when we bought it. We bought it from an individual in St. Louis since we could not find one locally. My wife really does not want to sell it but with our cars, plus the cars of two kids, plus a motorcycle, we simply don't have the room for it.

I try to take care of my stuff but with that being said it is a 1999 model so it is not a new car. I do believe it is a sound car and it looks great and I would drive it to California tomorrow with no hesitation.

If you have other questions or would like me to email more pictures just give me your email address and I will be happy to help. Thanks for the inquiry.

Steve

Nimrod777

I just want to own it long enough to drive up to my kids' apartments in it and see the looks on their faces! :D

MsuFinProf

Bump...convertible weather is here...and if you have never had a hard top convertible it is MUCH different that a soft top convertible. More like a regular car with the top up and the benefit of pressing a button and the top disappears.

Nimrod777

MsuFinProf said:
PM returned Saltman. Nimrod...rental by the day can probably be arranged.

Haha, I hear ya!

I was good friends with a newscaster formerly in Chattanooga, who lived in the same neighborhood as the church I worked for. He drove up one day test driving what looked to be the same model you have here. I drooled over it, so he said, "You want to take it for a spin?" I had it back in no less than ten minutes, but he was nearly shaking with worry, thinking I was just gonna go around the block. He didn't buy it, so I'm glad to took my joyride when I did! :D

Bass1090

I have a 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4 with differential lock, winch, extra gas tank, new battery and more. Let me know if you are interested in a trade. Very low miles and garage kept. Thanks

MsuFinProf

Bass1090 that is a very nice 4 wheeler. However, the wife has been wanting a side by side so we can ride together at Turkey Bay. Let me back up...she would prefer cash but would trade for the right side by side. Thank you for the offer though.

Latest posts