Your County Wildlife Officer

Olevern

Seems I'm often reading posts "bashing" a wildlife officer, and I've certainly done some bashing myself of the TWRA (the "agency" as well as the "commission") but seldom a county wildlife officer.

Most county wildlife officers are great guys (a few are great women) who work very hard, and provide us great services, especially CONSIDERING THEIR LACK of "RESOURCES".

The biggest LACK of "resources" is man-power, as there is typically only a single wildlife officer assigned to each of TN's 95 counties. Obviously, they cannot be everywhere in the county at once, and they do need to sleep a few hours nightly. But they're also "on call" 24/7, and most seldom get 8 hrs straight of "off" time without a work-related call.

Having a county man-power force of ONE (1) is certainly a very different situation than say a typical county sheriff department, which may have many deputies simultaneously "on the clock" at all times, and patrolling in multiple patrol vehicles all over a county simultaneously.

But one aspect of a county wildlife officer's job description many are not aware:

In Tennessee, county wildlife officer are 1st Responders.

This means they are often called to accident scenes, home invasions, and armed robbery locations whenever they just happen to have the good fortune of being closer than some other law officer or paramedic.

Our county wildlife officers are "back-up" to the Sherriff Dept. and the paramedics. Of course, will have to give credit to the county sheriff departments in their backing up a county wildlife officer any time a wildlife officer requests from concern of his being in a particularly violent or threatening situation (which can be often).

As but one example of a wildlife officer's day, and why he might not be available to come investigate a poaching, there was a State Trooper shot multiple times yesterday in Kentucky. A Kentucky wildlife officer was the 1st Responder, and transported the wounded trooper to a hospital, where he was treated until being taken to a different hospital with a trauma center.

Just saying, sometimes we need to walk a mile in the moccasins of those we might be about to criticize for . . . . . . .

Much respect and kudos for all our law enforcement & first responders, paid or volunteer

BigAl

I have nothing but good things to say about the officers I've met and encountered over the years in various counties. I can't say the same for the office in the county where I currently reside and hunt as I've never met him or talked to him. Probably because he never responded on the two occasions I tried to contact him, and he lives just a few miles away.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

I would think that officers understand being contacted (through proper channels) when there is a legitimate need for an officer, but to contact them or approach them off duty just to throw out a question or comment that could most likely be answered by reading the twra regs would be very aggravating in my view. They would probably really enjoy your conversation as long as it isn't about work. I know I would if i were an officer.

Duck dogn

Within the last year I've talked to several (nothing I done bad I just hunt alot of wmas) Clint Borem in columbia, Clint from laurelhill in lawrenceburg, Tommy Edward's from columbia, Ryan Goats from columbia,and Rusty Thompson all but 2 gave me there cell numbers and said if I ever have any questions or need anything give them a call all are great guys.

garnermtn

Wayne Sanders used to cover Franklin County but retired. He may have been one man but they must have made holograms of him because he was everywhere. Would show up at the dock at 2 in the morning and count every white bass. Hate to say it but I miss the old dude