WSM Brass Question

Tiny

Was looking at some Remington 300 WSM 150gr Core-lock loads tonight at BPS. Something just looked odd about them. The case head looked small.I grabed a box of Winchester ,nickel cases BTW, they looked aok.I compared the two Case head to Case Head.Unless the lighting was bad or possible my glasses as I still havent got my new ones yet.The Case head on the Remingtons appear a little smaller.

If any of you with both Remington & Winchester,or Remington and Federal for that matter,WSM brass around.....How about measureing the case heads on 'em and see if they are the same?

Thanks.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
You said you didn't have your glasses...are you sure you weren't looking at 300 Remington SAUM cartridges. They look a lot like the Winchesters but have a smaller case head. That may explain it.

Tiny

I meant I haven't gotton my new ones yet,haveing a heck of time finding new frames.

The loads were Rem.300 WSM 150gr Core Locks,Win,Supreme 150gr STBT.Didn't see any SAUM,and your right they do have smaller case heads and are a shorter case than the WSM's.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Get some new glasses and go back and look again. You have my curiosity peaked now. Aren't those frames a ripoff? There must be a 2000 Percent markup. Good luck.

Tiny

Yep they are high at leaset those I have looked at,biggest thing is finding them that fit my big head.Running into the ol One Size Fits All crap.LOL

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
LOL, it takes a big engine room for a high performance engine. 7 5/8 here. I know about it. Half the one size fits all hats won't work.

TiminTN

Tiny, I cannot say which cases you were comparing, but for the record, I have tried to use Winchester 300WSM brass and form it into 300 Saum. There is enough difference that it will not work for me. I don`t know if a small base die is available, but to add that expence isn`t worth it.

Tiny

Tim,
Thanks for the info.I wondered if one might be able to covert WSM cases to SAUM if needed,even with the slightly larger dim. of the WSM.

BTW
Remington 150gr Core Lock Factory Load (Brass) to Winchester 150gr Bal.Silvertip (Nickel) both 300 WSM factory loads.

As you may recall remington added the 300 WSM load and brass last year.

I was hopeing that yourself,Model 70 Man or a couple others around that have WSM's and reload might have both brands of brass around to measure the case heads on both.Even though these I eyeballed were 300 WSM,270 WSM in both would do,just got my curiosity up.

Tiny

Whelen Man said:
LOL, it takes a big engine room for a high performance engine. 7 5/8 here. I know about it. Half the one size fits all hats won't work.

Thanks,True,and Very True. :D :D :D .

BTW
I really don't know for sure what size cap/hat I need for a proper fit except that is over an 8 and I haven't yet found a sized one that would fit. Even then I can find a "one size fits all" in a blue moon that will come close enough to work, at leaset untill the wind gets up.LOL

Latest posts