"Undesirable" Trees?

MickThompson

Re: "Undesirable" Trees?

FTG-05":ygzrkg28 said:
Tree of Heaven or Alanthis Alltissima. Invasive POS tree that will eventually outgrow anything else. Worse than worthless tree. It's a scourge on my property.

X10000. This stuff is public enemy #1 but easily killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jejeffrries71

Thank you for bringing this up. I have seen this on my property, but never paid much attention. I thought it looked similar to sumac, which I do not care for either. I will have someone deal with this late this spring.

treefarmer

25 years ago I received some free Bi-Color Lespedeza seed and spread it around our Tree Farm. It was supposed to be great for quail but I never saw any quail in it and learned it is an invasive exotic. It didn't seem to be spreading too much so I ignored it. 3 years ago I heard horror stories of it taking over a WMA so bad the Bi-Color was everywhere so I decided I needed to get rid of it. I used a 1-1/2 gallon pump-up sprayer and started spraying. I'd spray 1,000 - 1,500 seedlings in a few hours and come back in a week and spray more, even going on neighbors properties to get what had spread there by seeds in the mud on logging equipment wheels. I spent the next 3 falls and springs doing this and now only find a half dozen each trip. The seed is viable for decades so I know I haven't won the war yet.

If you have invasive exotics on your property learn from my mistake and kill them before they spread. I have a few Alanthis on my property so I'm learning to identify it so I can get rid of it too.

Oldbearded1

We have some wild or muted Bradford Pear trees here. Dang things have got thorns too. Useless in my opinion.

Hunter 257W

Oldbearded1":y4p8ltol said:
We have some wild or muted Bradford Pear trees here. Dang things have got thorns too. Useless in my opinion.

That has been my tree curse for the past few years. They love open sunny spots and even edges of fence rows - anywhere they can get direct sunlight. i have flattened a bunch of tractor tires bush hogging these trees. Those thorns are awful. For a few years now I've been hitting them with Super Brush Killer from the CO-OP and it kills them. But even once they are dried up and starting to rot, there will be a branch or two that is thriving and green. They are like some monster from a nightmare that just won't stop. I have one place where I have a thicket of several acres of nothing but these mutated Bradford pears. I dread the day some deer runs in there to die!

LanceS4803

The hack and squirt has been devastating to the Sweet Gum trees. I've killed hundreds and hundreds of the trees using this method. They died and never even dropped their leaves.
Weird thing is that this fall they started dumping sap out of the cuts. The only way to describe it is like they puked it out, foamy white and sickly sweet smell. I'll be glad when that is gone.
This summer I will start on the small saplings with a basal bark treatment to finish them off, and from then on it will just be maintenance!!

JayMan

buckaroo":28g8itpx said:
I have hundreds of sweetgums around my house property, the only use I've found for them is growing yugoake mushrooms,
I was just about to mention using them for mushroom inoculation, if nothing else. Simple and can be left dormant til ready to harvest

Moonman

I'm going through this now. I am working with my local NRCS agency and they have allot of resources and money to boot. Last year I had my forest management plan drawn up. This year I got approved for funding to kill invasives and anything of non value. We will be killing this fall, and following up with burns next year to clear the understory and get ready for a selective harvest next fall. I have a 10 acre plot that we are killing everything off due to being trash and replanting with short leaf pine. I recommend talking with your local agency and they can help you.

treefarmer

A forest management plan is a great idea. I planted 250 Shortleaf pine last Sunday as an experiment to see how it grows on our property. Shortleaf was all across TN a long time ago so it is our native pine. Southern pine beetle and elimination of fire took it away from us so your planting it is helping get us back to our original forest condition. It grows a little slower in some soils than Loblolly when young but is more resistant to damage from ice storms. I plan to plant Shortleaf in place of Loblolly when I cut our Loblolly.

LanceS4803

My application with NRCS is getting approving for funding of a forest management plan. That will happen this Spring.

Latest posts