TWRA approves

timberjack86

It is total BS that every time they get ready to pass a law they worry about what people might do. Illegal to kill deer at night. Always has been. Always will be. If a person will kill a deer at night while legally coyote hunting they most likely will do it anyway. No common sense exists within TWRA in anything they do.
Poachers gonna poach, it's what they do. It's sad that the agency has such little faith in us sportsman.

Yota

Well, that is disappointing, at least they allow thermals, but I'd rather use centerfire for yotes.

"You may now have some freedom, but not too much"

This is a very silly approval IMHO. Why regulate in such detail what an individual can do on their private land. Shotgun, center fire, flaming arrow for what it's worth. It's a coyote, not a whitetail. Spoken from someone that generally supports TWRA and sensible regulation, this is a miss.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

I did not read that in the article. Are you seeing that somewhere else? Or are you just gathering from the fact because buckshot is illegal for deer hunting and other big game hunting that TWRA is going to follow the same guidelines for this hunt? I just read No single Projectiles. Which would indicate No Slugs .

PillsburyDoughboy

Shotguns is disappointing
It is if your a farm owner wanting to use it under the Farm Owner Exemption. Because as a farm owner you are going to be extremely aware of your property, the surrounding properties , the dwellings on the surrounding properties and the safe zones where it would be safe to fire a centerfire at night.

I suspect the reason they are saying shotguns only is because they are allowing anyone with a valid hunting license and permission from the farm owner to step onto said piece of property and have at it if you will to go coyote hunting. I can only imagine how little time many people would put into scouting a property they are fixing to hunt for coyotes. Its hard enough to get someone to do a adequate job of scouting for deer during daylight hours in most cases much less learn the lay of the land for dwellings that exist beyond the reach of a centerfire rifle.

Omega

It is if your a farm owner wanting to use it under the Farm Owner Exemption. Because as a farm owner you are going to be extremely aware of your property, the surrounding properties , the dwellings on the surrounding properties and the safe zones where it would be safe to fire a centerfire at night.

I suspect the reason they are saying shotguns only is because they are allowing anyone with a valid hunting license and permission from the farm owner to step onto said piece of property and have at it if you will to go coyote hunting. I can only imagine how little time many people would put into scouting a property they are fixing to hunt for coyotes. Its hard enough to get someone to do a adequate job of scouting for deer during daylight hours in most cases much less learn the lay of the land for dwellings that exist beyond the reach of a centerfire rifle.
It's nonsense, they already allow night hunting of hogs with a permit, and as far as I know there is no center fire restriction. If private landowners hunt their land, they know where to shoot and if there are any danger areas, if they allow others to hunt, they should be able to tell them those limits. Besides, many hunters will take advantage of lights and night vision making it that much safer. Just seems they didn't put much thought into it, or are deliberately making it difficult. There are a bunch of states where it's legal with no such restrictions with very few issues, if any.

PickettSFHunter

It's nonsense, they already allow night hunting of hogs with a permit, and as far as I know there is no center fire restriction. If private landowners hunt their land, they know where to shoot and if there are any danger areas, if they allow others to hunt, they should be able to tell them those limits. Besides, many hunters will take advantage of lights and night vision making it that much safer. Just seems they didn't put much thought into it, or are deliberately making it difficult. There are a bunch of states where it's legal with no such restrictions with very few issues, if any.
Correct, there's actually no restrictions whatsoever on firearms that can be used on hog permits. If you want to use and can afford, a belt fed M240B in full auto, you can. If you can afford and want to use a M2 50 cal machine gun, you can. Shotguns for safety apparently only apply if it's a predator 😂 TWRA really needs a certified safety professional to walk them through some of their rationale.

Remi

Correct, there's actually no restrictions whatsoever on firearms that can be used on hog permits. If you want to use and can afford, a belt fed M240B in full auto, you can. If you can afford and want to use a M2 50 cal machine gun, you can. Shotguns for safety apparently only apply if it's a predator 😂 TWRA really needs a certified safety professional to walk them through some of their rationale.

TWRA discussing the safety aspect

Latest posts