Tuning help

Ladys man

Ok guys so trying to tune in a Halon 6.
28.5 draw 65ish
Shooting sirus Vulcan 28 in long 100 gr insert with 125gr tips.
It groups great with fletched arrows but bare shaft is my problem and I can see it coming off wonky even with fletched.
QAD rest, I've made small and big adjustments trying to correct.
I've tried different releases.
I cranked it down thinking possibly it was a spine but that didn't work.

Weighted down the target so it doesn't move either.

Attachments

• 0035F505-DFC5-48A4-B08D-A9C0981EC07A.jpeg
    0035F505-DFC5-48A4-B08D-A9C0981EC07A.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 94

Remington700

Initial thought would be something is off rest wise/arrow alignment. Got and pics of the set up or a video of it being shot?

Ladys man

Not at the moment I may be able to tomorrow.
I've checked centerline over and over sliding the rest left and right. Made a mark for a starting point.

tree_ghost

If your bow is so far out that not even fletches have your arrow flying straight off the shelf then you need to correct something before you bareshaft…you more than likely have a lot of advancement in the top or bottom cam. Are you trying to tune it with or without a press?

Ladys man

Fletchings are perfectly parallel with me( shown in the image above) but everything bareshaft is nock right.

Timing holes on the camera are exactly the same.

This is all without a press, only thing I have done is adjust the rest for windage, both east and west for no change.

Specializedjon

Stupid reply alert:
Why are you worried about your bare tune? Looks like you're pretty close with your fletched shots. I'd make slight sight adjustments and walk it in. Just my $.02 I'm not archery expert by any means.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Ladys man

Stupid reply alert:
Why are you worried about your bare tune? Looks like you're pretty close with your fletched shots. I'd make slight sight adjustments and walk it in. Just my $.02 I'm not archery expert by any means.

Maybe I'm missing something.
Normally I would but I'm trying to be a lil more meticulous with this one, and not crazy about my arrow flight.

If I had a tight window to shoot through I'm not feeling confident about how they are coming off the bow.

Shim71

With 225 grains up front, i really think spine is your issue. I would remove 100 grain insert and check with bareshaft. If better or fixed and you still want 100 grain insert you may have to increase spine to accommodate extra weight up front.

CrossVolle

Need more info. What spine arrows are you shooting? Have you messed around with turn nock a quarter turn and see if it helps/hurts? The nock also looks different with the bare shaft, is that accurate? What is the GPI (grains per inch) of that arrow?

Most importantly, always remember you are human. Many things could go into it.

Last edited:

Shim71

I am shooting GT kinetic kaos 300 at 28.5" with a 125 ironwill broadhead. The kinetic kaos has a collar of 10-15 grains with a heavier than normal insert that has some weight to it but sure how many more grains on insert. I would estinate 20 grains on insert. At 65#s it shoots perfect out of my mathews vxr.

@fulldraw

Don't worry about the angle the bare shaft has. Fletch vs bare is about arrows grouping together. Based off your pic the group looks good. The reason your bare shaft is crooked is most likely a torque issue with your grip. Change grip (angle, pressure) and see how the bare shaft responds.

tree_ghost

No way your underspined with GT 300's. your still at the starting problem of fletched arrows not flying true off the shelf. You can make your arrows hit wherever you want down range by using 10 different approaches to get there but none of them will correct your arrow flight inside of 10 yards. IMO you gotta paper tune….is it that big a deal to have an arrow that flies that perfectly? No not unless your competing in tournaments but if it's still bothering you then shoot the paper.

Ladys man

Sorry guys been busy, but there where some mistakes on my part I decided to go back and start over. I reverified my insert and point weights I was wrong on the point weight. Only shooting 100gr I wanted to shoot 125 last yr when I built the arrows but couldn't find the broadheads so I went with 100.
28 inch Sirius Vulcan 10gpi
100 gr insert
100 gr point
Lighted nock
3 blazers ( swapping soon to 2.75 tac shield cuts)
Came out to 549 total weight

Also found my centerline was off not sure how, but rest is now at 13/16 and shooting pretty good.

Thanks for all the help.

Ladys man

Sorry guys been busy, but there where some mistakes on my part I decided to go back and start over. I reverified my insert and point weights I was wrong on the point weight. Only shooting 100gr I wanted to shoot 125 last yr when I built the arrows but couldn't find the broadheads so I went with 100.
28 inch Sirius Vulcan 10gpi 300 spine
100 gr insert
100 gr point
Lighted nock
3 blazers ( swapping soon to 2.75 tac shield cuts)
Came out to 549 total weight

Also found my centerline was off not sure how, but rest is now at 13/16 and shooting pretty good.

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts