Trapping with Dog proofs

TN1BUCK

Nothing in the DP's I think the little critters are scarce. I have had corn out the whole time no pictures in about a month.

rem270

I have mine along a creek back in my woods. It's steep but has several places along the way that's easy crossing for deer and critters. I only have 5 out right now but planned to get 7 more out today to make and even number but we've gotten over 2'' of rain since last night so doubt I fight it today.
Curious where your sets are located? Creeks? big open woods? Field edges?

TN1BUCK

My land is steep, mostly set the ridge tops. I am going to set some streams this week.

hammer33

Having your sets "on location" is the most critical factor for success. Most critters won't seek out your traps regardless of the bait/lure if its not where they want to go.
For coons, my go to spots are #1. creeks and branches + ponds. #2. Mature woods with dead snags and hollow trees. (set close by on the trails). 3. Feed sources (time sensitive) early fall, around persimmon and other fruit trees, uncut corn fields. Late season, cut corn fields/bean fields. creeks etc..

So TN1 if you aren't getting action on the ridge tops, try some other locations. Also keep the prevailing winds in mind. and put your traps on the upwind side of the travel routes. I have a coyote set with a trail cam on it now. Getting photos of a yote a couple times a week going past my set and not looking at it. Just figured out that he is only using that farm road on a South wind and my set is on the wrong side of the road so he likely doesn't know its there. (dirt hole set) Need to quit being lazy and move the set to the other side of the road or drop in a second set and I bet I catch him next time he passes through

Latest posts