Three questions from the game.

PalsPal

1) Anyone hear any explanation why Maurer came into the game on the one play, threw an incomplete pass, and then JG came back in? Only thing I can figure is JG maybe had an equipment issue that they had to fix and didn't want to call a TO. It was odd.

2) How was the hit the guy put on JJ, on the wildcat play where it looked like JJ was going to score, NOT targeting? There wasn't even a review! And I'm also surprised that JJ wasn't concussed.

3) Before the half, JG keeps it and slides at the 8 yr line, with 8 secs to go. The clock stopped while moving the chains, and we had one TO. Once the clock started, we let it run down to 3 and then called the TO. Why not clock it, take one shot at the end zone, and then kick the FG if we didn't score?

cbhunter

1)never heard

2) gotta let them play in those goal line situations although I've seen it called on other teams.

3)i was screaming at the tv and have no idea what was going through Pruitt's head there

4)i also don't know why Pruitt didn't go for it on the Missouri 46 on 4th and 1. Our defense was playing lights out for the most part so why not take that chance?

It all worked out in the end but i hope he continues to grow as a coach and changes some of those types of things.

PalsPal

cbhunter":22k4qmy3 said:
4)i also don't know why Pruitt didn't go for it on the Missouri 46 on 4th and 1. Our defense was playing lights out for the most part so why not take that chance?

It all worked out in the end but i hope he continues to grow as a coach and changes some of those types of things.

I had forgot about that, and agree. Were we ahead at that point? If so, I guess I can see it. Don't give them a short field.

Concerning 3, I was doing the same.

THEdonkey0515

I'm sure he went out for some kinda equipment issue or stinger something like that for a single play no big deal.

I agree gotta let them play at the Goal line, but I've seen plays very similar get called targeting. This one didn't even get looked at they are so inconsistent with this call. Remember Bituli got kicked a few weeks ago AT THE GOAL LINE on a hit no worse then the one laid on JJ Saturday. Then they take a look on another hit on JJ that's not even close to targeting.

I also wanted him to throw it to the Endzone 1 time with 8 seconds left, but I understand going up 7 was pretty big at the moment. Was it maybe a little to conservative yes, but they won so cant bash him much.

Grandslam11

THEdonkey0515":1gl4y8cs said:
I also wanted him to throw it to the Endzone 1 time with 8 seconds left, but I understand going up 7 was pretty big at the moment. Was it maybe a little to conservative yes, but they won so cant bash him much.

I didn't like it either, BUT we have been known to throw a pick in the endzone.

We won, nobody bats eye. Had we lost, everything would have been blamed on the coach.

Think about his coaching vs last year and earlier this season. He went for a LOT of 4th down conversions and didn't get them.

wayne

Inside the 10 they don't set the chains, only the down marker. Can't make a 1st down, so no need for chains. Takes less time to set the down marker than it does to move the chains, clock started sooner than expected and a few seconds had run off leaving not enough time for 2 plays.
That's what I heard.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

cbhunter

wayne":t0dl7ipc said:
Inside the 10 they don't set the chains, only the down marker. Can't make a 1st down, so no need for chains. Takes less time to set the down marker than it does to move the chains, clock started sooner than expected and a few seconds had run off leaving not enough time for 2 plays.
That's what I heard.

thats actually makes a lot of sense. I noticed the clock didn't stop for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalsPal

wayne":agay9zo6 said:
That's what I heard.

That does make sense.

Displaced_Vol

1. Heard it was an issue with the wrap on his injured hand. Not the hand itself just the contraption.

2. Don't remember, will have to go back & look.

3. Good point on chains vs marker. I hadn't thought of that. I figured they hadn't really intended for JG to scramble so they weren't prepared for exactly what to do next. Also agree that unfortunately we have turned the ball over in the red zone a few many times this year so 3 points was not the worst outcome.

THEdonkey0515

Grandslam11":3vtyrn3u said:
THEdonkey0515":3vtyrn3u said:

We won, nobody bats eye. Had we lost, everything would have been blamed on the coach.

Think about his coaching vs last year and earlier this season. He went for a LOT of 4th down conversions and didn't get them.
Yeah my way of thinking also, we have seen both JG and the freshman make bad plays in the redzone this season, 8 seconds left JG might force one in a tight window gets picked would be a huge swing.

Just take the easy 3 points go up by 7, before half no risk was not that bad a call IMO.

If it was Bama, UF, Georgia a team you they was not really supposed to be hanging with I could see saying we have nothing to lose let's go for it take the risk.

I think he knew going up by 7 at the half should be enough to finish Missouri off.

cbhunter

THEdonkey0515":1nsie5ab said:
Grandslam11":1nsie5ab said:
THEdonkey0515":1nsie5ab said:

Yeah my way of thinking also, we have seen both JG and the freshman make bad plays in the redzone this season, 8 seconds left JG might force one in a tight window gets picked would be a huge swing.

Just take the easy 3 points go up by 7, before half no risk was not that bad a call IMO.

If it was Bama, UF, Georgia a team you they was not really supposed to be hanging with I could see saying we have nothing to lose let's go for it take the risk.\

All valid points and I agree to an extent. However, I miss the days where we hung 35+ points on SEC rivals. I'm glad we are getting it done but lets score some points for a change.

I think he knew going up by 7 at the half should be enough to finish Missouri off.