Thoughts on Wayne County WMAs???

Bushape

Not looking for inside info or even tips. Just curious if there is an overall consensus on them?

arctic_cat

Been many years since I hunted Eagle Creek but it can be a good place to hunt. A lot of steep hollers so get ready to put the work in. Use to be a lot of logging that goes on, a lot of cutovers to hunt and thick stuff after it starts to grow back. North side of it is about a mile from our lease. They just cut some of it the last few years. I'm sure it's pretty covered up with people these days like most wma's are but it has enough land to get away if your willing to put the miles on the boots

Savage Knight

It's been several years since I've gotten to go but back when I was single and working swings. I went to Wayne co almost every other weekend during gun season! (It took me 4 1/2hrs each way) we started hunting Eagle creek but later found our way around to Arnold Hollow. One year I found a place the weekend before Christmas, I showed it to my uncle which him and my cousin stayed the entire week. He killed a little 4pt out of the spot I showed him. The following weekend I talked my boss into letting me leave early, I had just enough time to go home take a 2hr nap throw my junk in the jeep and head out! I pulled up on the ridge top just before daylight and was getting dressed as it was breaking daylight, a truck full of guys pulled up and the headed down the ridge next to me in the direction I was planning to go. I made my way back around to the place my uncle hunted the weekend before and I wasn't there even 15minutes when the the biggest buck I have ever killed came walkin through the hollow. It took me over 5hrs to drag him out by myself! I was in pure shock the entire time! And I didn't let anyone know until I got back home that evening and nobody knew why I canceled my trip until they looked in the back 😝 he was an almost PERFECT 8pt scored 138", he is or was in the tndeer trophy room under Wayne co if we still have that

Bushape

It's been several years since I've gotten to go but back when I was single and working swings. I went to Wayne co almost every other weekend during gun season! (It took me 4 1/2hrs each way) we started hunting Eagle creek but later found our way around to Arnold Hollow. One year I found a place the weekend before Christmas, I showed it to my uncle which him and my cousin stayed the entire week. He killed a little 4pt out of the spot I showed him. The following weekend I talked my boss into letting me leave early, I had just enough time to go home take a 2hr nap throw my junk in the jeep and head out! I pulled up on the ridge top just before daylight and was getting dressed as it was breaking daylight, a truck full of guys pulled up and the headed down the ridge next to me in the direction I was planning to go. I made my way back around to the place my uncle hunted the weekend before and I wasn't there even 15minutes when the the biggest buck I have ever killed came walkin through the hollow. It took me over 5hrs to drag him out by myself! I was in pure shock the entire time! And I didn't let anyone know until I got back home that evening and nobody knew why I canceled my trip until they looked in the back 😝 he was an almost PERFECT 8pt scored 138", he is or was in the tndeer trophy room under Wayne co if we still have that
Took a look at the trophy room and the only search function I found was by year. Would love to see the deer. You have a pic??

buckbstr_1

140" eight ptr is a large buck. I really do not know if I have seen an eight ptr that large!

hoghunter65

Took a look at the trophy room and the only search function I found was by year. Would love to see the deer. You have a pic??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523-191928.png
    Screenshot_20240523-191928.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 6

Bushape

Nice. Thanks for finding the pic. You ever hear of anything else that impressive being killed over there???

trkhunter

That's easy to say... what would you have them buy it with?

The timber company priced them out from what I heard. If they can't do the $12 or so per acre what makes you think they can swing $2000+ per acre?
yep. sounds good untill its your pocketbook!!!! Antler Daddy you wanna fund the purchase!!!!!! do you own any land????

AlabamaSwamper

Lease prices keep going up there's going to be a bunch of open land again. Or idiots willing to pay $1000s a year to kill 110" deer

To answer your question. There's deer on them. Some good ones I'm sure. We rabbit hunt them a lot. I see sign of deer like everywhere else we rabbit hunt. Buckshot needed on a lot of the wmas. 😂. Mostly thick pines.

killingtime 41

By the way it's called the state of Tn using the land. Whatever land purchased has never been by the TWRA. They have been managing the land the state owns. Buy more state of Tn. Before you know there won't be 500 continuous acres to buy. It'll all be subdivided into small parcels. Like lots have already been done.

Antler Daddy

yep. sounds good untill its your pocketbook!!!! Antler Daddy you wanna fund the purchase!!!!!! do you own any land????
I am referring to the state. If they simply had a habitat stamp designated for land purchases, myself and others would buy it. 50K folks buying a $25 habitat stamp is 1.25 million a year. That would buy some 500 acre protected areas over time.

I am referring to the state. If they simply had a habitat stamp designated for land purchases, myself and others would buy it. 50K folks buying a $25 habitat stamp is 1.25 million a year. That would buy some 500 acre protected areas over time.
That sounds like an excellent idea in theory. Unfortunately, relying on the state or any state for that matter to have hunters best interest in mind is nothing but broken dreams.

Lease's are getting more expensive by the day and so is land. Best bet is to figure out how to get some, even if it's a small parcel. I've seen some really impressive deer come off small parcels of land. Just like everything else, location is key.

Owning your on land is an amazing feeling and I believe everyone should experience it and have that opportunity.

Latest posts