Switched to Gaiters

AT Hiker

TheLBLman":3uxtdzb9 said:
AT Hiker":3uxtdzb9 said:
As long as my boots are treated (I use kentrek wax) I'm good. Maybe I got lucky with my gaiters, idk.
AT, are you saying you cross water over your boots, and those kenetrek treated gaiters still keep your feet dry? :eek:

Yes, I can cross calve deep water in my boot/gaiters combo. Kentrek is the wax I use, outdoor research is the gaiter. I simply walk fast enough to make the crossing quick but careful enough to not splash.

Zoom in closely and you can see how high my gaiters go. My boot is rather tall, goes a bit over my ankle. So with my gaiters I can cross water above the top of my boot.
Of course this picture is the exact opposite of crossing a creek but I can assure you my decent off the gap I crossed many creeks.

The key with my boots is making sure they are properly treated.

2f23e255827f3ac4cfa4b7b8e55362d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shanman

Just wanted to revisit this thread as String and AT shared some good info about gaiters and hiking boots. Purchased me a pair of Snake Gaurdz back in June and used them extensively through the summer and up until cold weather. Will have to say I have been extremely pleased with them, very lightweight with plenty of protection. Found that they really protect the lower sections of your paints and boot uppers from briers, dust, dirt, and mud. Also feel that they give another layer of protection from ticks when saturated in repellent, something I didn't think about before purchasing, big plus! Several reviews complained about the straps loosening up during use and found this to be true, remedy is to tighten strap and then put several twists in the tail end and tuck down behind itself, problem solved. I really wanted to go with a gaiter/hiking boot combo to save weight and use better boots than what's available in snake boots. They have fit the bill perfectly and would highly suggest Snake Gaurdz, about $66 on Amazon.

Being good to go with snake gaiters, I'm going to start researching regular gaiters for when snakes are not an issue. Last Turkey season I ran the Irish Setter Vaprtreks and really wanted to like this boot, but being 250lbs I found my feet hurting after several hours of walking. That being said, they are extremely comfortable and lightweight, awesome stalking boots as you can feel sticks/rocks underfoot. Probably a good boot for you lean and trim guys or walking shorter distances as into a blind or stand. Not much snake protection from the Vaprtreks though do to the materials used. Wanted a better boot with more support and picked up a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX at REI. They run $230 and REI has them on clearance for $179, applied my dividend and walked out the door for $55. Really wanted to look at better boots than the Renegade but don't want a divorce either. Lol They feel great and alot more protection and support than the Vaprtreks, time will tell.

String Music

Shanman":2tjbi15o said:
Just wanted to revisit this thread as String and AT shared some good info about gaiters and hiking boots. Purchased me a pair of Snake Gaurdz back in June and used them extensively through the summer and up until cold weather. Will have to say I have been extremely pleased with them, very lightweight with plenty of protection. Found that they really protect the lower sections of your paints and boot uppers from briers, dust, dirt, and mud. Also feel that they give another layer of protection from ticks when saturated in repellent, something I didn't think about before purchasing, big plus! Several reviews complained about the straps loosening up during use and found this to be true, remedy is to tighten strap and then put several twists in the tail end and tuck down behind itself, problem solved. I really wanted to go with a gaiter/hiking boot combo to save weight and use better boots than what's available in snake boots. They have fit the bill perfectly and would highly suggest Snake Gaurdz, about $66 on Amazon.

Being good to go with snake gaiters, I'm going to start researching regular gaiters for when snakes are not an issue. Last Turkey season I ran the Irish Setter Vaprtreks and really wanted to like this boot, but being 250lbs I found my feet hurting after several hours of walking. That being said, they are extremely comfortable and lightweight, awesome stalking boots as you can feel sticks/rocks underfoot. Probably a good boot for you lean and trim guys or walking shorter distances as into a blind or stand. Not much snake protection from the Vaprtreks though do to the materials used. Wanted a better boot with more support and picked up a pair of Lowa Renegade GTX at REI. They run $230 and REI has them on clearance for $179, applied my dividend and walked out the door for $55. Really wanted to look at better boots than the Renegade but don't want a divorce either. Lol They feel great and alot more protection and support than the Vaprtreks, time will tell.

You did good! I've actually used my hiking boots quite a bit during deer season too. I get much more use out of these boots than I ever did my snake boots. It's just a more versatile setup in being able to add snake protection when you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk