swapping seeds

spoon

After reading catman thread, I relized I will have extra seeds and thought of the idea of swapping some seeds with other members that have some extra seeds

what do you all think about the idea?

catman529

That's how I got at least half of my tomato seeds last year.

If you have the time, go register at GardenWeb.com in their forums and you can post in many sub forums like tomato growing, vegetable gardening, etc. and there are plenty of good people there who will do seed trades. That's where I did all of mine last year.

What seeds do you have? I might be into a trade if you have a variety I'm looking for.

catman529

I'd be into it. It can be done real easily thru PM, a simple exchange of address and seed varieties and of course follow the honor system. I haven't been disappointed in seed trades yet. Got some great seeds last year and had some delicious stuff growing in the garden.

spoon

catman529 said:
What seeds do you have? I might be into a trade if you have a variety I'm looking for.

Going to start my seeds next week so I should have some
Stonehead Cabbage, Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage and Prem. crop Broccoli.

catman529

I might be into the broccoli, will let you know, I mainly grow a lot of tomatoes, as well as peppers, cukes, cantaloupe, and whatever else I feel like

Wobblyshot1

Most of my saved seed are tomato. I've been growing these for several years and have had good success with all. Little or no crossing has been observed, no guarantee though. Quantities are limited, of course, but I've got more than I'll ever need of the the following:

Giant Belgium
German Red Strawberry
Kellogg's Breakfast
Jeff Davis
Delicious
Lillian's Yellow
Abe Lincoln
Garden Peach
Lemon Drop
Sugar Lump

Any questions or interest in sharing shoot me a PM. I would like to try a dark tomato other than Cherokee Purple. Never had any luck with it. Any ideas?

catman529

I've been somewhat interested in Giant Belgium and Abe Lincoln. I'd have to see what seeds I have first to trade.

spoon

In tomatoes, I've got Emerald Apple, Violet Jasper, Riesentrabe, Ozark Pink, Branywine and Chocolate Stripes ordered.

Sure there will be some seeds left over

Wobblyshot1

a retrohillbilly said:
Wobbly, Black Krim is great.

Haven't tried them. I've tried Cherokee Purple several times and my yields have alway been poor. They get a lot of press but for me I've given up on them. One that I liked a lot was burgandy traveler, but when I saved the seed the following year the results were not at all what I started with. For the last two years a much smaller tomato and no where near the yield of my orignal seed. Will have to give black krim a try. Thanks.

catman529

Black Krim is my favorite black tomato. Not as sweet as Cherokee Purple (actually I have only tried Indian Stripe which is a variation of CP). Great flavor, definitely give it a try.

catman529

One note, black krim is prone to splititng. Careful with the watering and it's still worth it if they do split a little.

catman529

Sounds good, thanks, I will get back to you but first I want to check my seeds and see if there are any you want. I got to go get some more stamps so I can do some SASE and seed trades. Dang time is running out...gotta get seeds asap.

catman529

Someone send me a PM and remind me to look through what seeds I have left over from last year. Then I can tell you what I have to trade and I will know what new seeds to get (I always try new varieties every year and only re-grow the better ones from last year)

farmin68

OldFart said:
Has anybody in W TN ever tried Swiss Chard? With what results? Thanks Ray

I grew some Northern Lights last year. It does fine in the heat and kept on growing through a long, hot dry spell.

Latest posts