Summer Bass

ZachMarkus

String Music":ksxxf1nv said:
ADR":ksxxf1nv said:
I almost never throw a bait until I find them on the graph. If you spend enough time scanning, which is what it will take, you will find several spots that they will repeatedly use. Now I just go from spot to spot. Once I find the school I will throw a crankbait to verify and then throw multiple types of baits and then move on to the next school. This method for me eliminates a lot of wasted time just throwing lures at fish that aren't there. YMMV

That's my game plan right now but I'm struggling to "confirm" what I see on my graph is bass. Any chance y'all could post pics of your graphs showing bass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pics, bass will usually spread out horizontally along the bottom and look like popcorn balls. They will also suspend but I usually don't mess with them unless they are positioned somewhat like they are in these pics.

25f3da1d1137b306b9153ee971da5eba.jpg

3168186a83d5d2afd846f75e2c6c58ff.jpg
5fd4280f4122f0e0fc1a9b34f7036228.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZachMarkus

Os2 Outdoors":uxlnbca7 said:
I'm in the same boat of learning my graph and off shore fishing. What depths and what kind of baits are you targeting these deep bass with????

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm catching fish right now from 15ft-30ft.

As far as baits go I'm usually dragging something vs throwing a moving bait.

My go to baits are a 3/4oz football jig, big worm Texas rigged, Carolina rig, mag trick worm on a big shakey head, if I can't get them to bite anything else I'll throw a drop shot.

When the fish first start moving out deep I catch a lot on a crankbait and a swim bait, but this time of year where I fish most of the schools have received a lot of pressure and any kind of moving bait will scatter them.

chunkandwind

String Music":rrwi1x9q said:
How will bass set up on a ledge when there is current? Are certain ledges better when they are pulling water?

Look for where the current is hitting the ledge the hardest, start there. Look for where creek channels dump into the main river. Certain ledges are definitely better than others. Look for high spots on the ledge. Anything different.

Edit... Ky Lake so current is flowing North

Attachments

• ledge.jpg
    ledge.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,695

String Music

ZachMarkus":q0z2dzau said:
String Music":q0z2dzau said:
ADR":q0z2dzau said:
I almost never throw a bait until I find them on the graph. If you spend enough time scanning, which is what it will take, you will find several spots that they will repeatedly use. Now I just go from spot to spot. Once I find the school I will throw a crankbait to verify and then throw multiple types of baits and then move on to the next school. This method for me eliminates a lot of wasted time just throwing lures at fish that aren't there. YMMV

That's my game plan right now but I'm struggling to "confirm" what I see on my graph is bass. Any chance y'all could post pics of your graphs showing bass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pics, bass will usually spread out horizontally along the bottom and look like popcorn balls. They will also suspend but I usually don't mess with them unless they are positioned somewhat like they are in these pics.

25f3da1d1137b306b9153ee971da5eba.jpg

3168186a83d5d2afd846f75e2c6c58ff.jpg
5fd4280f4122f0e0fc1a9b34f7036228.jpg

That helps, thanks!

String Music

chunkandwind":v85rppyc said:
String Music":v85rppyc said:
How will bass set up on a ledge when there is current? Are certain ledges better when they are pulling water?

Look for where the current is hitting the ledge the hardest, start there. Look for where creek channels dump into the main river. Certain ledges are definitely better than others. Look for high spots on the ledge. Anything different.

So the current doesn't need to come up and over the ledge? It looks like the current is parallel to the the ledge in that picture.

TNReb

I've been trying to use a drop shot lately, and that has to be the most aggravating thing I've ever tried to use. I can't set the dang hook on them.

I caught 1 on a drop shot yesterday, and missed 4. People say to reel down and just lift up... or sweep it smoothly... nothing seems to work for me.

WTM

String Music":30iqb09f said:
chunkandwind":30iqb09f said:
String Music":30iqb09f said:

So the current doesn't need to come up and over the ledge? It looks like the current is parallel to the the ledge in that picture.

it does run parallel, thats why you look for points, cuts, etc. along the ledge. this is where the natural or generated current slams into those points, cuts, etc. to create more water pressure or current. on humps, the current will sweep across the top and a lot of the times it will be swept clean and exposing rocks or mussel shells, these type of humps are fish magnets.

where a creek channel hits the main channel will create a point and current. an old big rock pile will create current and attract fish. then you have some of the old roads, bridges, drainage ditches, bridge pilons, etc. that are now under water after they built the TVA system.

one thing that video that i posted didnt go into is boat position and casting angles. typically, fish will position facing upstream of the current. but sometimes they may want that bait quartering, sometimes perpendicular. try different presentation angles before you leave that spot. ever notice when fishing shallow on a lay down, stump, rockpile, etc. that a fish will hit on one side and not the other? its the same on a ledge, they have to see it to eat it. a heading sensor and one marker is a big help in keeping in line with the spot.

like chunk said, look for something different. that will keep you on good fish and out of the "community" holes.

ADR

Don't be discouraged. There is a steep learning curve. You will get it figured out. Many times it's more like learning what doesn't look like fish.

String Music

ADR":1sknxrcv said:
Don't be discouraged. There is a steep learning curve. You will get it figured out. Many times it's more like learning what doesn't look like fish.

Definitely tough not to be discouraged. I've been out twice now and haven't caught a single fish. Hopefully it will come together at some point (pun?).

Os2 Outdoors

ZachMarkus":23xpetii said:
Os2 Outdoors":23xpetii said:
I'm in the same boat of learning my graph and off shore fishing. What depths and what kind of baits are you targeting these deep bass with????

Thanks

My go to baits are a 3/4oz football jig, big worm Texas rigged, Carolina rig, mag trick worm on a big shakey head, if I can't get them to bite anything else I'll throw a drop shot.

When the fish first start moving out deep I catch a lot on a crankbait and a swim bait, but this time of year where I fish most of the schools have received a lot of pressure and any kind of moving bait will scatter them.

ZACH We need to go sometime!!!
We can take my boat. Just put a HELIX 12 on it too.

ZachMarkus

Os2 Outdoors":17d7hkug said:
ZachMarkus":17d7hkug said:
Os2 Outdoors":17d7hkug said:

Thanks

ZACH We need to go sometime!!!
We can take my boat. Just put a HELIX 12 on it too.

725ccaaf17d1d66506e4e3710edbd3b8.jpg

Latest posts