Sous vide cooker?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
A buddy at work had never heard of these till the other day when I was telling him about some chicken I cooked and how good it was.
He is looking at them and asked me a question that I have no idea about.

The one I bought is an 800 watt and he noticed there are some that have a lot more "power".

What is the benefit of having a 1,000 or even 1,500 watt verses a 800?

The only thing I can think of is it will get hotter quicker or maybe heat a larger container of water?

ADR

To my knowledge that is it. Heating more water faster. Many of the higher wattage units also have more features though. Mine is a higher wattage and it is Wi-fi capable. I can literally start supper from work or a deer stand and monitor it the same way.

Crosshairy

If you do a home-made cooker based on a cooler (i.e. an insulated container), then the wattage isn't as important because you are eliminating most of the heat loss.

On the other hand, if you are going to use a giant metal gumbo pot to cook a turkey, then you'll want the higher heat input. The description on any of those units should list a container size. That's always working under the assumption of an un-insulated metal pot.

FYI, I've never seen anyone do this personally, but you could wrap a towel or whatever around the outside of a large pot, and cover the open parts of the top with anything laying around (cutting board or something), and it will greatly diminish the heat input requirements. We used to do something similar when making homemade ice cream, and it would help it freeze faster.

TX300mag

I've used an insulated bag around the circulat and pot before. The benefit was that the water didn't evaporate when cooking overnight.

I've also seen ping-pong balls used and they se to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike243

I bought the SV bath box that has a lid, saran wrap works well they say , really like my Inkbird sv unit, got it 1/2 off due to being on a bbq website they sponsor. its a wifi model so I can track whats happening from any where.

Latest posts