So what is the official age for a kid to kill a deer?

JBell

9B338849-1E42-4093-8E93-135EB81FCD4C.jpeg
879D05D2-CB28-43E5-B558-4E6ED972B9B5.jpeg

My boys here almost 6 and almost 4, each killed their first deer this year. Bog pod, cross bow and ground blind. We shot 5-6 times but came away with 2 deer. They were thrilled!!

PillsburyDoughboy

Probably going to be getting a stand/holder for my grand daughter later this year. She's 5, and asking to go now and then, and my daughters 243 is still kinda big for her to hold. Planning on something like a Caldwell Dead Shot Field pod.
My son was first starting out when he went on his first deer hunt. I had built a custom TC encode in 300 whisper with a 16 inch barrel and shortened the stock to 12 inches for him. It fit him just fine.

The next couple of years he sprouted up a bit and I had a model 7 in .308 laying around and worked up a 110 grain load for it and mounted a Red Dot scope on it for him.

He anchored his first deer with that rifle and many.more. I even had a youth model Knight 50 cal that I loaded with 50 grains and 225 sabots and he killed several deer with that.

With that said if I did not have the financial means to build those toys or have those guns around and all I had was a 30_06 that was too big for him THE hunts would not have been any less for us as I would have done the same as this gentleman above ans helped hold the rifle in anyway to help my son harvest his first deer. It's all about the hunt and the experice.

redblood

Apparently there is no minimum age. I saw a kid that didn't come up much past my knee and his dad at a store a few years ago with a deer on youth hunt weekend. The boy shot it with his Dad's 30.06. Heck of an accomplishment for such a small lad. The Dad was bragging that the boy had killed his first deer. Apparently my face gave away my thoughts because the Dad admitted that he held the gun and aimed it while the kid reached over and pulled the trigger. What a way to "kill your first deer".
Thats always been my complaint with the juvenile hunt. All too often its been a an extra tag for ol Joe with no other hobby than deer hunting. Parents need to remember they can take their kids hunting any week that deer season is open

Biggun4214

The stories I could tell about the extra tags. Like the 50 pound 10 year old that killed a deer with a 7mm mag. The girl that killed a deer at 300 yards with a 30-06, but a week earlier she turned her head and shut her eyes at the hunter safety shoot. Another girl showed up at the checking station with pink sweats and clean white tennis shoes to check out "her" deer on an either sex hunt.

tnpoorboy

My daughters aren't quite old enough for the hunter safety class yet(even though they both are licensed for life) but my question is can they shoot one and check it in or do I have to check it in for them? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've got a seven year old dying to smoke one lol
Age is 6 no lic just sscard

Huntaholic

All I ever did for my 2 sons was put the butt plate against my chest and let them do the rest. positioning the gun, sighting, holding, pulling the trigger, was all up to them to do. To hold the gun, sight the gun, tell them when to pull the trigger, all just seemed wrong to me. Im proud of the fact that both of my boys can hold their own with ANYBODY out there when it comes to killing stuff when they choose to do so. They both have the skillsets and the ability to do it and thats all that matters to me.

Laserman1

I had a couple friends that "helped" their sons kill their first big bucks at 6 and 7 years old. One shot a 3006 and the other a 270. Both at about 200 yards. Both kids stopped hunting as they got older because they could never shoot anything bigger than the first buck they shot with daddy's help. My son shot his first deer at 8 with a youth 243.

OffHand85

My 7yo killed his first doe with a 300 blackout AR on shooting sticks sitting in my dads lap at 12 yards, I was 30 yards behind them watching, someone was cutting onions in them bottoms that afternoon!
My 11yo nephew just got his first rifle a 270, sighted it in himself in 6 shots, took 3 shots at 225yds afterwards and I could cover them with a half dollar! This kid is a man child! Got his first mallard with my 12 gage 835 shooting 7-1/2 steel shot, first rabbits with a 20 gage o/u, first doves with my 12 gage 835. I haven't hunted without a kid by myself in 3 years. I can't bring myself to go without one of my two boys or my nephew, all of which got their lifetime licenses before their 3rd birthdays, as well as my baby girl last August, all from Grandpa, who was recently able to get his lifetime senior license. I've taken him hunting 4 times and each time he's killed a deer, once with my son, and once me and him doubled up on does! I'm so excited for this weekend, hopefully my nephew can harvest his first deer!

knightrider

The stories I could tell about the extra tags. Like the 50 pound 10 year old that killed a deer with a 7mm mag. The girl that killed a deer at 300 yards with a 30-06, but a week earlier she turned her head and shut her eyes at the hunter safety shoot. Another girl showed up at the checking station with pink sweats and clean white tennis shoes to check out "her" deer on an either sex hunt.
If she closed her eyes and turned her head, how in the wild world of sports did she walk out with a hunter safety certificate?

Latest posts