Sell me on why 20ga?

Jbird22

I've considered for years putting together a 20 gauge and just never got around to it, now I've reached the point where I just don't understand the desire.

1. There is no extra credit for hunting with a 20, it's not like a recurve killed deer versus a rifle.
2. My 12 isn't that heavy to tote, and I like the extra weight for fitness reasons.
3. If I miss or potentially wound a bird due to a sub gauge and misjudging yards or just because I'd be furious I didn't have the 12.
4. I shoot TSS out of my 12, a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz load so killing power is exponentially more than a 20 one would think
5. Recoil is unnoticed on a 12
Those are just a few of the random thoughts I have rattling around. No judgement to those who do shoot smaller gauges, I just fail to see the point.
You laid out every reason why you shouldn't switch to a 20 ga and there's nothing wrong with that. It's a rare occurrence but I still get the urge to carry a 12 ga (3" 2 oz TSS) from time to time.

Those of us who have switched to primarily 20 ga did so because we likely have opposing takes to each one of your points. As for #1, I've never looked at it as earning "extra credit" or winning cool points.

All that matters is that you're confident and effective with what you decide to hunt with. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.

Displaced_Vol

Because having more guns is better than having fewer guns.

I've got enough 12 gauge lead loads to last me a long time and my 12 (franchi affinity) isn't that heavy so I'll probably keep toting it for several more years.

One of these days I'll want a new turkey gun and I'll get a 20 or maybe even a 28 or .410.

Newt

I am still toting my big ol browning bps 12 shooting 3 1/2 " mag blends can't tell you the last turkey I shot past 30 yards and I love that ol gun and the memories I ve had behind it but the turkeys I ve witnessed getting shot out of my buddy's 20 ga tss is unbelievable I mean they don't even twitch so one of these days I will make the switch good lord willing

woodsman04

I've considered for years putting together a 20 gauge and just never got around to it, now I've reached the point where I just don't understand the desire.

1. There is no extra credit for hunting with a 20, it's not like a recurve killed deer versus a rifle.
2. My 12 isn't that heavy to tote, and I like the extra weight for fitness reasons.
3. If I miss or potentially wound a bird due to a sub gauge and misjudging yards or just because I'd be furious I didn't have the 12.
4. I shoot TSS out of my 12, a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz load so killing power is exponentially more than a 20 one would think
5. Recoil is unnoticed on a 12
Those are just a few of the random thoughts I have rattling around. No judgement to those who do shoot smaller gauges, I just fail to see the point.
Ain't you got a baby on the way?

Get baby setterman (or setterwoman) a 20 gauge so they can begin hunting squirrels and birds at 7 or 8 years old. And learn how to shoot a shotgun. Without the need for the red dots.

Setterman

Ain't you got a baby on the way?

Get baby setterman (or setterwoman) a 20 gauge so they can begin hunting squirrels and birds at 7 or 8 years old. And learn how to shoot a shotgun. Without the need for the red dots.
Hahaha! Well played

I've got a safe full of 20's and love them. I was informed by the wife when I said I can't wait to take baby girl to the turkey woods that "she won't be a hunter". I just laughed and said, bet she will and love it as much as I do. And if she doesn't than that's fine as well but it'll be her choice not ours

Setterman

I hope y'all know I'm not judging what anyone shoots or doesn't shoot. It was just an interesting topic some friends and I've been discussing this season. It's cool there's effective loads for the smaller gauges and I Don't question their lethality.

It is clear who wears skirts to hunt in though, as they can't handle the recoil of a real gun 🤣🤣🤣🤣

deerhunter10

I built a couple because it's an east excuse to buy some guns i like guns. I also like hunting with them. I have actually hunted with a 12 a couple times this year for the first time in several years. Going to get a 28 gauge for next year. I hunt with what I hunt with because I want to, I have no good reasons for anyone to spend money on a gun just because it's a fad. Do it because you want to.

deerfever

My name is deerfever and I am an admitted 20 gauge user. After years of abuse , bruises and being kicked like a mule from a Mossberg 835( great guns) , I made the switch. Mine all have short barrels, light weight ,semi autos and will flat out shoot. I shot the old Federal flight control wad in lead and killed several, then went to Federal HVW #7 to TSS. The 20 gauge was a no brainier for me as I try not to shoot over 35 yards to begin with. Also as I got older I realized the heavy 835 with the 3.5 Dynamite loads were no longer for me! Lol, I have gotten soft! I don't care if I get my man card pulled , I will never shoot an 835 again!

Last edited:

JCDEERMAN

I'm a mixed bag of all mentioned. Hunted with a 12g 835 for years and killed tons - it kicks like a mule, but will flat out shoot. It is a little noisy on the pump stock when trying to be quiet - don't like that. Also killed several with a 12g beretta a350 and killed several - love that gun! It's a really light gun and thought I was done with buying shotguns. Then I had a daughter 🤣. So I got a 20g last year for me/her and she's now 6 and will start hunting with me in a year or two, so I went ahead and got one. It's a Stoeger m3020 and is 5.6 lbs unloaded. It's like carrying a dry-rotted stick. With TSS, wow - shot one last year opening morning at 42 yards and he didn't flinch. I can't imagine a 12g with TSS - ain't spending the money on those shells though. If anything, I've got enough 12g lead turkey loads to last me my lifetime. I also wanted to shoot some doves with this 20. It is so lightweight and small. Dove loads are also cheaper, since I can't hit any of them 🤣.

To each their own. Shoot what you want. If she doesn't take up hunting, I have a little 20 to carry. If she does, I'll slip back to the 12

Rockhound

I'm not really following you either. #5 lead filled decades of tags for me with no issue. I think personally TSS has allowed a 20 gauge to be almost as effective as a 12 gauge lead load
Nothing at all wrong with lead I think most of us have killed alot with it. the point I've argued with scn for a couple years that makes tss more lethal is the fact that turkey killing never has and never will ever be about wound channels from deformed lead pellets. Turkey killing comes from bone crushing power to the central nervous system, which does make tss a better option as it puts more pellets into the cns and doesn't deform on bone. Instead of 15 pellets your getting 40. We aren't looking for wound channels like we are on most big game.

wcw280

Nothing at all wrong with lead I think most of us have killed alot with it. the point I've argued with scn for a couple years that makes tss more lethal is the fact that turkey killing never has and never will ever be about wound channels from deformed lead pellets. Turkey killing comes from bone crushing power to the central nervous system, which does make tss a better option as it puts more pellets into the cns and doesn't deform on bone. Instead of 15 pellets your getting 40. We aren't looking for wound channels like we are on most big game.
Good luck getting him to understand that.

wildside

I switched years ago to a 20. I have several short youth models with red dots. I love them. Mine are considerable more convenient for both me and clients to carry. Not trying to convince you...personal choice. Both of mine are deadly accurate and lethal to "reasonable" distances....(that is being pushed beyond what I consider sporting) They have each accounted for 50+ birds. One is a pump and one is an auto...

megalomaniac

All that matters is that you're confident and effective with what you decide to hunt with. It's all personal preference at the end of the day.
I think this is key....

CONFIDENCE in your firearm and ammunition at the ranges you intend to shoot is everything. When I pull the trigger, I am 100% confident there is going to be a dead/ flopping bird 30-40y every single time from my barrel with my current setup. I had that same confidence with my prior 10g and 2.5oz #5 lead.

I did NOT have any confidence with my 12g 11-87 2oz lead #4s, #5s, #6s. Tried a million different shells, lost a bunch of birds less than 30y shots, and didn't even start patterning it until my 5th or 6th year of hunting (I was young, self-taught). Plus I shot a bead back then and I'm sure I shot over a few because of not having proper cheek weld.

I don't think your firearm really matters, as long as you are getting 100 pellets in a 10in circle at the max distance you plan on shooting every single time. Your firearm also needs to deliver those 100 pellets where point of aim is same as point of impact every single time. If that isn't happening, time to try something different.

Bullfrog

I keep both in the truck and hunt with whichever I feel like on any given hunt. 20 ga. youth 870 with a single bead/TSS and 870 SPS with longbeards. Both shoot great at the same distance.

TheLBLman

I don't think your firearm really matters, as long as you are getting 100 pellets in a 10in circle at the max distance you plan on shooting every single time.
Very true, within reason.

If you're shooting TSS #9, these will completely pass thru a turkey's skull beyond 50 yds, even with a low-velocity, reduced recoil 20 ga load. So if you have a dense, uniform pattern of these at "x" yardage, you should be able to have 95%-plus probability of an instant kill. If not, why pull that trigger?

But if you're shooting lead #9, your range is likely limited to less than 30 yds simply because of the lack of kinetic energy per pellet. Never mind that lead #9 will have a much denser pattern than lead #6.

We normally shoot #5 or #6 lead pellets for going for turkey head shots, because anything smaller than that in lead, may not penetrate a turkey's head beyond 50 yds or so.. Problem is, even though #5's may shoot thru a turkey's head at 50-plus-yds, lead #5 or #6 patterns are not as "uniform" and not as dense as TSS #9 (approx same penetration as #5 lead).

Typically beyond 45 yds is where TSS begins to really "trump & thump" lead ---- more uniform patterns & downrange energy retention (less lost to air resistance). Personally, I use TSS more to turn a 35-yd 20 ga lead-shelled gun into a 45-yd TSS-shelled gun.

Each of us hunts different places, have different typical "set-ups", as well as different thoughts on what constitutes a successful hunt & kill.

Typically, when I have a bird "play the game", he will offer me a shot under 35 yds.
It's mainly those birds "not willing to play" that only offer longer-range shots. I typically have no desire to shoot a turkey that's not playing the game, so really have little need for the gun to be set up for 50 yds when my average turkey fired upon on is more like 25 yds.

The 1st two turkeys I called up this spring were killed by a lady shooting 20ga 1 1/8 oz reduced recoil #7 Federal Heavyweights (not even as good as TSS). I think that was the last of those old shells, which I saw no reason for her not to load up with when it was unlikely a shot could be beyond 35 yds. So that was what was in the chamber, backed up by #9 TSS in the magazine.

Southern Sportsman

Weight is my main justification. The shorter length of my 20 is also a big plus, but you can obviously get a compact 12 gauge as well. But if you like the size/length of your 12, and you honestly prefer a little extra weight for fitness reasons, then I'd say your assessment is correct.

For most people, however, particularly those who walk a lot when they hunt, the weight makes a big difference. If you haven't tried it, the difference is hard to appreciate. 2 lbs doesn't sound like much, but after several miles wearing a gun on one shoulder, the difference is very, very noticeable.

It just comes down to personal preference, of course. Balancing ballistics considerations vs. how much weight/length you're comfortable carrying. For eons, a 12 gauge was the "ideal" turkey gun. Even with the lead loads available 15-20 years ago, a 3" or 3.5" 12 gauge shell could provide enough #4, #5, or #6 pellets to reliably kill turkeys at 40 yards. We all knew a guy, at one point or another, who carried a 10 gauge. There is nothing "wrong" with using a 10 gauge, but most people didn't. Why? Because a 12 gauge was plenty of gun, it was less weight to carry, and there were plenty of ammo choices. Now that TSS is readily available, a 20 gauge is plenty of gun, less weight to carry, and there are plenty of ammo choices. A 12 will still kill them fine (as will a 10), but plenty is enough.

TheLBLman

We all knew a guy, at one point or another, who carried a 10 gauge.
There is nothing "wrong" with using a 10 gauge, but most people didn't. Why?

Because a 12 gauge was plenty of gun, it was less weight to carry, and there were plenty of ammo choices.
I think my crazy brother in Mississippi should sell his behemoth 10 ga to Setterman, as this could greatly enhance the Setterman's physical fitness program.

Now that TSS is readily available, a 20 gauge is plenty of gun, less weight to carry, and there are plenty of ammo choices. A 12 will still kill them fine (as will a 10), but plenty is enough.
Enough is Enough 😝 and this thread has been enough said.

woodsman04

Hahaha! Well played

I've got a safe full of 20's and love them. I was informed by the wife when I said I can't wait to take baby girl to the turkey woods that "she won't be a hunter". I just laughed and said, bet she will and love it as much as I do. And if she doesn't than that's fine as well but it'll be her choice not ours
I think she deserves the SBE 3 20 gauge.
Just do it. It ain't like you'll regret it. Or at minimum the M2. Or Franchi Affinity compact 20, which in my hands feels and shoots the same as the M2.

Latest posts