Sell me on why 20ga?

wcw280

But that is not what you posted!

If you want to say a 20 ga with the pixie dust will equal a 12 ga with lead, I'll buy that all day long. My two birds both succumbed to a 20 ga 870 with the pixie dust this year. It will be my turkey gun of choice in the coming years because it is lighter and more compact and much easier for me to carry in the woods.

But, saying it is much more lethal than the 12 ga I have carried for years is bull hockey.

And, there is much more to terminal lethality than pellet count.
Bud we ain't talking about 100 yards and a pellet gun and 300 win mag. Have you shot a bird at 45 with a 20 and tss? They won't even flop. But you just keep believing your way I'll keep believing mine. I've seen plenty of birds die to tss and a 20. I'll carry my 20 you carry whatever fancy's you.

scn

Bud we ain't talking about 100 yards and a pellet gun and 300 win mag. Have you shot a bird at 45 with a 20 and tss? They won't even flop. But you just keep believing your way I'll keep believing mine. I've seen plenty of birds die to tss and a 20. I'll carry my 20 you carry whatever fancy's you.
You obviously aren't smart enough to read. I just told you I killed both of my birds this year with the 20 ga. and plan on making it my main turkey gun.

But, continue on with you fanboi comments.

As I have gotten older, I'm 57, I did not enjoy the beating of my 12 gauge 3 1/2. Even shooting lead I just rather not bruise my shoulder. That being said, when buying a new turkey gun I went with a 20 for lighter weight, less recoil, and as I shoot lead, cheaper ammo. I used to run and gun, but now I walk and talk, turkey that is. I enjoy the hunt as much as the kill. I'd much rather tote a 20 than a 12 in these beautiful TN hills God blessed me to hunt in.

wcw280

You obviously aren't smart enough to read. I just told you I killed both of my birds this year with the 20 ga. and plan on making it my main turkey gun.

But, continue on with you fanboi comments.
So you're arguing against what you're actually doing and I'm the dummy. I love it.

Last edited:

scn

So you're arguing against what you're actually doing and I'm the dummy. I love it.
I never argued that the 20 ga. with TSS wasn't a great option.

I called out the bullshyt that you posted that it was much more lethal than a 12 ga. and lead.

Reading and reasoning definitely aren't your strong points.

wcw280

I never argued that the 20 ga. with TSS wasn't a great option.

I called out the bullshyt that you posted that it was much more lethal than a 12 ga. and lead.

Reading and reasoning definitely aren't your strong points.
You're right killing is. And obviously you have a problem with understanding as well. More pellets on target in The kill area is more lethal and gives you a better margin for error also making it more lethal. Keep up the keyboard warrior work. Can't be more dead than dead hoss.

scn

You're right killing is. And obviously you have a problem with understanding as well. More pellets on target in The kill area is more lethal and gives you a better margin for error also making it more lethal. Keep up the keyboard warrior work. Can't be more dead than dead hoss.
You don't have a clue about lethality. There is a lot more involved than just pellet count.

It is obvious I don't own enough crayons to write it where you could understand. It is past time to add you to the Dumb and Dumber file and get on with the evening.

wcw280

You don't have a clue about lethality. There is a lot more involved than just pellet count.

It is obvious I don't own enough crayons to write it where you could understand. It is past time to add you to the Dumb and Dumber file and get on with the evening.
No crayons needed. I'll make it simple for you. Lethal = dead bird ; more pellets of a denser material on target = more probability of a dead bird. Can't deny physics there champ.

TheLBLman

Seems most everything needing pondering has been pondered! 😃

My thought here is more about Setterman than TSS or a 20 ga vs. a 12 ga.
But before going forward and to provide full disclosure,
I, myself, do in fact do most of my turkey hunting now with a 20 ga.

4. I shoot TSS out of my 12, a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz load so killing power is exponentially more than a 20 one would think

THAT, my friend, is one of the most powerful, arse-kicking LONG RANGE turkey loads ever formulated!

Believing I have some idea as to how you typically turkey hunt, and your thoughts on turkey hunting period, I am just truly baffled as to why YOU would choose to load your gun with such a shell?!?!?

I suspect, 90% of the birds you have killed the last many years would been 1-shot dead had you been using that same 12ga gun with a once common 1 1/4 oz lead #6 "squirrel" shell? YOUR average shot, what, 27 yards?

That said, I think it is and you are "smart" to have jumped on the TSS bandwagon, simply for the fact you can achieve more reliable, consistently dense (without "hole" & "flyers") like we experience with lead pellets. But, a 1 1/2 oz 12 ga load of TSS #9 may have better patterns AND exceed the high-probability lethal range of a 2 oz load of lead #5s.

Why go up to 2 1/2 oz of TSS when you were shooting 2 oz lead loads?

I do agree that we normally don't notice recoil when shooting a turkey, no matter what shell is in the chamber. But at the range, I'm much happier with my lighter loaded 20 ga.

If both guns are loaded with TSS, a 20 cannot outperform a 12.
But a 20 with TSS can roughly equal or exceed the high-probability killing range of a 12 loaded with lead.

Setterman

No crayons needed. I'll make it simple for you. Lethal = dead bird ; more pellets of a denser material on target = more probability of a dead bird. Can't deny physics there champ.
I'm not really following you either. #5 lead filled decades of tags for me with no issue. I think personally TSS has allowed a 20 gauge to be almost as effective as a 12 gauge lead load

TheLBLman

For me personally, I prefer the 20 ga because, not just for the lighter weight, but the smaller "footprint" dimensions simply make it easier to carry & maneuver. And my 20 ga is deadly well beyond the range I'll shoot any turkey that "plays the game" with me.

Don't just think about the comparative weights of the guns.
An equal or greater advantage comes from the 20 ga's smaller dimensions.

Then there is the issue of the shells, both in the gun, and the extra ones in your pockets.
Typically, each 20 ga shell will weigh @ 1 oz less than each 12 ga shell (hull, powder, shot).
And 4 extra 20 ga shells takes up @ the same pocket spaces as 3 extra 12 ga shells.

Setterman

Seems most everything needing pondering has been pondered! 😃

My thought here is more about Setterman than TSS or a 20 ga vs. a 12 ga.
But before going forward and to provide full disclosure,
I, myself, do in fact do most of my turkey hunting now with a 20 ga.

THAT, my friend, is one of the most powerful, arse-kicking LONG RANGE turkey loads ever formulated!

Believing I have some idea as to how you typically turkey hunt, and your thoughts on turkey hunting period, I am just truly baffled as to why YOU would choose to load your gun with such a shell?!?!?

I suspect, 90% of the birds you have killed the last many years would been 1-shot dead had you been using that same 12ga gun with a once common 1 1/4 oz lead #6 "squirrel" shell? YOUR average shot, what, 27 yards?

That said, I think it is and you are "smart" to have jumped on the TSS bandwagon, simply for the fact you can achieve more reliable, consistently dense (without "hole" & "flyers") like we experience with lead pellets. But, a 1 1/2 oz 12 ga load of TSS #9 may have better patterns AND exceed the high-probability lethal range of a 2 oz load of lead #5s.

Why go up to 2 1/2 oz of TSS when you were shooting 2 oz lead loads?

I do agree that we normally don't notice recoil when shooting a turkey, no matter what shell is in the chamber. But at the range, I'm much happier with my lighter loaded 20 ga.

If both guns are loaded with TSS, a 20 cannot outperform a 12.
But a 20 with TSS can roughly equal or exceed the high-probability killing range of a 12 loaded with lead.
You are 100%'correct. There's no reason for me to shoot the TSS loads
I do other than why not lol! Recoil doesn't phase me, and it's a damn wall of evil inside 35 yards. Remember the scene in Predator when they mow down the jungle? That's one shot from my cannon 🤣🤣🤣

My twisted thought process is pack the biggest punch possible because "why not". I would never try to sell someone on it, and it's my own inner demons I guess.

TheLBLman

#5 lead filled decades of tags for me with no issue. I think personally TSS has allowed a 20 gauge to be almost as effective as a 12 gauge lead load
Same here.
But imo, a 20 gauge load of 1 1/2 oz #9 TSS
isn't just as effective as a 12 ga 2 oz load of #5 lead,
as it's marginally more effective, especially if you only go for head/neck shots.

Setterman

For me personally, I prefer the 20 ga because, not just for the lighter weight, but the smaller "footprint" dimensions simply make it easier to carry & maneuver. And my 20 ga is deadly well beyond the range I'll shoot any turkey that "plays the game" with me.

Don't just think about the comparative weights of the guns.
An equal or greater advantage comes from the 20 ga's smaller dimensions.

Then there is the issue of the shells, both in the gun, and the extra ones in your pockets.
Typically, each 20 ga shell will weigh @ 1 oz less than each 12 ga shell (hull, powder, shot).
And 4 extra 20 ga shells takes up @ the same pocket spaces as 3 extra 12 ga shells.
Weight of the gun and shells is irrelevant to me. I hunt steep rugged mountains and enjoy the extra fitness boost from the additional weight.

Setterman

Same here.
But imo, a 20 gauge load of 1 1/2 oz #9 TSS
isn't just as effective as a 12 ga 2 oz load of #5 lead,
as it's marginally more effective, especially if you only go for head/neck shots.
I can see this, but there's decades of kills to catch up to for the 20 gauges

TheLBLman

Perhaps the biggest case I can make for using TSS may be the ability to use a more open choke, and still maintain the same (or greater) lethal range of lead loads.

I would argue most turkey hunters would go home with more turkeys if they were using a factory "modified or full" choke instead of the rifle-like patterning extra, extra full "turkey" chokes being used by most. And I believe that whether most are shooting either TSS or lead loads.

Latest posts