Sell me on why 20ga?

Setterman

I've considered for years putting together a 20 gauge and just never got around to it, now I've reached the point where I just don't understand the desire.

1. There is no extra credit for hunting with a 20, it's not like a recurve killed deer versus a rifle.
2. My 12 isn't that heavy to tote, and I like the extra weight for fitness reasons.
3. If I miss or potentially wound a bird due to a sub gauge and misjudging yards or just because I'd be furious I didn't have the 12.
4. I shoot TSS out of my 12, a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz load so killing power is exponentially more than a 20 one would think
5. Recoil is unnoticed on a 12
Those are just a few of the random thoughts I have rattling around. No judgement to those who do shoot smaller gauges, I just fail to see the point.

Last edited:

wcw280

A 20 with tss is hands down more lethal than a 12 with lead. If you're gonna pay for tss the 20 is cheaper on shells and is deadly out to 45-50. Kicks much less, lighter, there are many pros and very little cons to turkey hunting with 20's and tss.

Setterman

A 20 with tss is hands down more lethal than a 12 with lead. If you're gonna pay for tss the 20 is cheaper on shells and is deadly out to 45-50. Kicks much less, lighter, there are many pros and very little cons to turkey hunting with 20's and tss.
I shoot TSS out of my 12, don't even notice the recoil with the 3.5" 2 1/2 oz loads I'm shouting. So what pros does the 20 offer me?

Not arguing just find this an interesting discussion

Setterman

I actually bought a 20 gauge a couple years ago and after putting it on a scale next to my 12, I sold it. I just don't see what difference a pound or even 2 pounds is going to make to a full grown man. If you are buying a shotgun for a ten year old girl then by all means buy a 20 gauge.
I have to agree. The weight difference is minimal and a few extra pounds just provides a little more fitness for me

Carlos

I've shot my Son's 20ga a few times lately, and I was considering carrying it into the woods recently as well.

One pro I thought of is when you have to hold the gun up for an extended period. It would probably also be more manageable when in an awkward shooting position.

Andy S.

Lighter, shorter, compact, more nimble, easier to swing in timber, does not hang on as many limbs, and a pleasure to tote/aim/shoot on those longer 6-12 hour all day hunts. Two of my hardcore hunting buds recently told me it is the best move they have ever made for turkey hunting. Of course, they are middle age and aging (50+ y/o), so toting a heavy 12G loaded down with 3.5" shells is not as appealing to them, or me, as it once was 20 years ago, especially on longer hunts later in season when temps soar into the mid to upper 80s. Nimble compact 20G with TSS will kill further than any of us should be shooting, thus no need to feel under-gunned. My .02

Andy S.

I've walked 18 miles in my last three hunts last week on public ground in the mountains.
I feel ya. Thursday was a 9 mile and 77 flight of stairs day up and down the mountains until we finally connected at 11:35. I felt like I needed three baths by the time I got to the truck at 1PM when it was 86 degrees. I could ring sweat out of my pants. Not my idea of "unbelievable fun", but he kept gobbling just enough to keep us interested and in pursuit.

wcw280

I feel ya. Thursday was a 9 mile and 77 flight of stairs day up and down the mountains until we finally connected at 11:35. I felt like I needed three baths by the time I got to the truck at 1PM when it was 86 degrees. I could ring sweat out of my pants. Not my idea of "unbelievable fun", but he kept gobbling just enough to keep us interested and in pursuit.
2lbs of gun just don't make a difference. Lol it 💯 matters in these mountains. Ounces matter.

TRHC

If you're already shooting TSS in your 12 gauge, don't mind carrying the extra weight, and don't notice the extra recoil, then there's absolutely no reason for you to go to a 20 gauge. All of those things are exactly the reasons why lots of us have ditched the 12 for a 20.

Iglow

I've considered for years putting together a 20 gauge and just never got around to it, now I've reached the point where I just don't understand the desire.

1. There is no extra credit for hunting with a 20, it's not like a recurve killed deer versus a rifle.
2. My 12 isn't that heavy to tote, and I like the extra weight for fitness reasons.
3. If I miss or potentially wound a bird due to a sub gauge and misjudging yards or just because I'd be furious I didn't have the 12.
4. I shoot TSS out of my 12, a 3.5" 2 1/2 oz load so killing power is exponentially more than a 20 one would think
5. Recoil is unnoticed on a 12
Those are just a few of the random thoughts I have rattling around. No judgement to those who do shoot smaller gauges, I just fail to see the point.
Go buy a box of 12 gauge 2 3/4" lead copper plated 1 1/8oz # 6 or 7 1/2 and you've got your 20 ga challenge, saved $1000.00 and don't have another gun to store. If you're gonna shoot tss in the 20 you're turning it into a 3.5" 12 ga lead gun, It don't matter to me what people spend they money on/ none of my business but I'm not gonna do it.

Gravey

It's not really about the weight for me but the compactness of the gun. Easier to handle and tote for sure and with tss I'm good under 50 which is fine with me as that was my max range with my 12 shooting 3 1/2" Longbeard #5's. If the size and weight of the 12 don't bother you stick with it.

david k.

My son and I hunt private land in Tennessee and public land in Mississippi and Montana and a typical day of hunting with him usually includes 5-8 miles of walking, so a 5.5 to 6 pound 20 gauge is awesome for that.

We're both shooting youth model 20 gauges, a Remington 870 and a Mossberg Bantam 500 with 21 and 22" barrels respectively. I've also noticed what Andy says about the shorter barrels snagging less on brush and being super easy to reposition if, and when, a bird comes in from somewhere you weren't expecting.

I don't miss carrying the 12 gauge and also do not feel under-gunned one bit...so far with 3" 1 5/8 ounce #9 shot TSS loads we've killed 5 birds in the past 2 years at ranges from from 13 to 37 yards and every single one was simply bang, no flop....DRT.

I am changing to a new brand of shells so I shot a pattern with his 870 yesterday. It has a .575" choke and I shot it at lasered 40 yards. The results were about 550 pellets inside a 20" circle around the point of aim...the pattern was very even making it easily a 50 yard set-up.

I'm 61 and shooting with a shoulder that is in need of surgical repair but its not really about the recoil either...a 5.5 pound pump 20 gauge kicks about as hard as any 7.5 pound 12 gauge.

Funny side note....folks can say they aren't recoil sensitive but I watched my buddy almost yank his brand new 12 gauge SX4 off the bench yesterday when he forgot to take the safety off....he asked if I wanted to shoot it, I said hell no.... haha.

Last edited:

Andy S.

Just weighed and measured my two main 20G turkey guns:

1. REM 870 Compact with 21" barrel. 41" overall length and 6.2 pounds with Cabelas/Carlson .575 extended turkey choke. No sling and no optics, but it does have the older Tru-Glo Magnum Gobble Dot rifle sights on it. Ofc, it will weigh more with shells.

2. Weatherby SA-549 auto with 22" barrel, with Holosun 507 C optic on picatinny rail and Cabelas/Carlson .575 extended turkey choke. 41.5" overall, 6.6 pounds.

Both are a joy to tote and do all I ever need in the turkey woods, as long as TSS is available and legal to hunt with.

Last edited:

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Based on your list, there is no reason for you to change. Having said that, I just picked up a 20 gauge to set up as a turkey gun. I did it mainly to reduce weight. I was shooting a Mossberg 935 and Winchester LB 3 1/2 #5s. I'm totally satisfied with the way it performs. Part of the new purchase was to "extend" my season by giving me something turkey related to mess with. Unless the 20 just wows me I will probably still hunt with the 935 some when a lot of walking and hills aren't involved.

chrmayo

Unless you get a short barreled 20 they are no shorter than your 12. The lightweight 20 with the hot tss loads still kick plenty. Everyone keeps comparing the 20 with tss to 12 with lead when you clearly have stated more than once you are shooting tss in your 12.

Latest posts