Smokeless Savage load

Smokeless

walker07

I'am currently shooting 42gr of N110 under the 250gr Hornady Xtp. The gun shoots pretty dang good, but a friend is bringing some 300gr Barnes with BO sabots to try. He currently is shooting 44gr of 5744, and claims it cuts holes at 100yds. My question, will the N110 work well with the Barnes 300? Thanks for any feedback.

jlanecr500

Barnes Originals are pretty tough bullets. At those speeds, you won't get much expansion. The universal load that works great in 95% of those guns is 63gr Reloder 7 and a Hornady 325ftx.

jlanecr500

When I started shooting the Savage 50 several years ago, AA5744 was the first powder I tried. Got the gun zeroed and grouping decent with Hornady 4500 300gr hollow points and crush ribs.
Opening day of ml it was near 45 degrees. Killed a doe no problem. 4 days later went to same spot. Temp around 32 degrees. Shot a buck that was nearly in the same spot. (I was in a ground blind with a deadshot field pod) The buck stood there looking around so I started reloading but by the time I was done, he had meandered behind some trees.
The next week I went to the range. Got there and it was around freezing. Fired the shot and was 8 inches high. Put the gun aside and shot others. As the morning warned up, I shot it again at about 40 degrees and was only 4 inches high. I waited until it was around 50 degrees and fired another shot that was 1 inch high right where I had zeroed it. I fired another 1" 3 shot group.
I started researching after that and found that AA5744 has 15 to 20 percent nitro. I found that when subjected to freezing temps, nitro crystallizes. When this happens, the burn rate is altered, causing it to burn at a much faster rate.
Since that day, I switched to Reloder 7 and enjoyed accuracy, speed and reliability. YMMV but I lived it. Good luck.

GMB54

Reloder7 is double based also but at only around 5%-7% nitro. I have both the old Hercules branded stuff and newer stuff in the Alliant plastic bottle. Its a very reliable powder and very sabot friendly. I do find it to be a bit dirty but not as bad as 5744. N120 is just wonderful with a 300gr. About 58gr will yield the same speed as 63gr of Re7 with a 300gr bullet. SUPER clean burning but also super expensive and far more difficult to find.

vonb

jlanecr500":w3d3fy0v said:
When I started shooting the Savage 50 several years ago, AA5744 was the first powder I tried. Got the gun zeroed and grouping decent with Hornady 4500 300gr hollow points and crush ribs.
Opening day of ml it was near 45 degrees. Killed a doe no problem. 4 days later went to same spot. Temp around 32 degrees. Shot a buck that was nearly in the same spot. (I was in a ground blind with a deadshot field pod) The buck stood there looking around so I started reloading but by the time I was done, he had meandered behind some trees.
The next week I went to the range. Got there and it was around freezing. Fired the shot and was 8 inches high. Put the gun aside and shot others. As the morning warned up, I shot it again at about 40 degrees and was only 4 inches high. I waited until it was around 50 degrees and fired another shot that was 1 inch high right where I had zeroed it. I fired another 1" 3 shot group.
I started researching after that and found that AA5744 has 15 to 20 percent nitro. I found that when subjected to freezing temps, nitro crystallizes. When this happens, the burn rate is altered, causing it to burn at a much faster rate.
Since that day, I switched to Reloder 7 and enjoyed accuracy, speed and reliability. YMMV but I lived it. Good luck.

I've never had this issue using 5744 whether it be 80 degrees or 30 degrees. My longest shot on a deer with it is 165 yards and it went right where I aimed. Do you think you possibly had a bedding issue?

jlanecr500

vonb":1nlbtyqr said:
jlanecr500":1nlbtyqr said:

I've never had this issue using 5744 whether it be 80 degrees or 30 degrees. My longest shot on a deer with it is 165 yards and it went right where I aimed. Do you think you possibly had a bedding issue?

No bedding issue. Maybe bad powder but once I switched to Reloder 7 I had no more problems and had increased velocities with lower pressures.

GMB54

Reloder7 is a really good powder for 300gr sabot loads. Most people ive seen who had issues and tried around 63gr got much better results vs other powders. Mine loved that load with either a 300gr XTP or a 325gr FTX. The Sierra 458 300gr FNHP shot even better but i didnt feel it would hold together as well at that speed. Works well though for slower loads.