Replacing a transom in an aluminum boat??

Mid-Tenn

Any suggestions on a welding shop here in the middle Tennessee area that can repair or replace an aluminum transom and install a set of float pods.

A while back I picked up this "project" boat from a govt agency surplus auction. It's an early 80's Polar Kraft 1652 commercial fisherman model.

At some point the original transom wood was replaced by drilling out the rivets, installing new wood and securing it with carriage bolts. The wood is again in need of replacing. I removed the old wood and bolts that were holding it all together. The original plan was to replace the wood in the transom and install new stainless hardware. Looking at the shear number of holes that the previous owners drilled through the hull ( 54 to be exact) with many of them being beneath the water line there's no way I feel as though I'd ever get it to a point where it wouldn't leak. What I'm wondering is if a welding shop can install a new metal "skin" over the old one and install new bracing in the transom to eliminate the wood. Just exploring my options at this point.

Attachments

• 1652CF.jpg
    1652CF.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,758

BlackEagle1

There are lots of places around. You can buy pods and they can weld them or some shops can build them. G&G welding in centerville build one for us last fall that's pretty sharp. There's several places around KY lake that could tackle it but that's probably to far west.

You didn't ask for opinions on pods but I have a set on an 1860 that came from the factory. It doesn't seem like I can trim as high when on plane and it will not track straight in reverse. The only benefit I have seen on my rig is it serves as a step when you need to climb back in.

Good luck

Mid-Tenn

BlackEagle1":199qyfyu said:
There are lots of places around. You can buy pods and they can weld them or some shops can build them. G&G welding in centerville build one for us last fall that's pretty sharp. There's several places around KY lake that could tackle it but that's probably to far west.

You didn't ask for opinions on pods but I have a set on an 1860 that came from the factory. It doesn't seem like I can trim as high when on plane and it will not track straight in reverse. The only benefit I have seen on my rig is it serves as a step when you need to climb back in.

Good luck

I appreciate it. I'm hearing different opinions on the pods, but everyone is in agreement on the ability to get up on plane. My main reason is to offset the weight of a 4 stroke outboard. That's a beavertail brand float pod visible in the pic that I had been holding to the transom to get an "eyeball" feel for how it would look.

Hduke86

I did exactly that with my boat cause it was identical with yours with all the holes. I went in picked up a big sheet of aluminum and made a pattern of the transom and just welded it to the outside over what was already there. I also made a set of pods and put on the boat but just remember if you put them on yourself or have a shop do it to have the pod tilted up a little so when on plane the pods are not dragging the water. I will say that you may be better off spending the money and getting a mig machine with a spool gun and doing the work yourself. It would give you enough practice for future jobs on boat and probably would come out cheaper cause if you took all the welding you needed done and laid it in a straight line it's a good bit of welds

Bsolomon

Did you ever find a place. If not I could help you out. If so message me. I will only charge materials and a few bucks to cover wire and Argon.

Mid-Tenn

Bsolomon":1jvqkvhv said:
Did you ever find a place. If not I could help you out. If so message me. I will only charge materials and a few bucks to cover wire and Argon.

I appreciate the offer, message sent.

Latest posts