question from a novice

416wbymag

This will be my first year turkey hunting. I took one last year during archery but it was just luck. They came out into the field at the wrong place and time.

Problem is I will be hunting 1800 wooded area with only one or two small (1/2 acre) fields. The place is loaded with turkeys but I just stumble upon them occasionally.

Any pointers on how to start about it this season??

Thanks in advance

RussellvilleRob

I am no expert either, but I would try to get out there a couple weeks before season starts and find where they are roosting. Then I would find out where they fly down. This would give you a heck of a starting point.

I wouldnt call during the observation times. This may screw it up for you when real hunting does take place.

I am not really a run & gun type hunter. I just spend alot of time in the woods prior to the season and try to pattern them. Sometimes I get lucky and a nice one walks right up to the end of my gun barrel.

I am sure the run & gun style would be more fun. I just dont have the acreage for that.

416wbymag

thanks for the reply but that brings up one of my problems, You always read find fields and open areas to find where they are roosting.. I assume these guys are roosting in the middle of the woods somewhere, but where to start? Old road beds? Creek beds? Wonder aimlessly through the woods with an owl call?

I am usually deep in the woods when I see them (during deer season).

Thanks again

Baxter83

Most of the birds I've seen fly to roost have been close to water. At my grandpas farm I used to watch them fly up all the time while deer hunting. This past weekend I was out deer hunting a WMA along the lake and a flock of about 20 or so came from the middle of the woods to an area just inside the woods from the bank and flew up. They were pretty much overlooking the water. Last year was my first year so I'm a novice myself. Maybe some better detailed info will come along.

deerchaser007

Don't know what kind of terrain you have,. but if you have ridges,.. turkey like to roost on the finger of the ridges. Set yourself up as close as possible,.. and call just enough to let them know were you are at. Knowing when to call and not call will come to you the more you get familiar with your birds behavior.

Have fun with it,. even if you don't kill birds ,. that first gobble at daybreak is plenty excitement to keep you coming back for more!!

CopperHead77

416wbymag said:
thanks for the reply but that brings up one of my problems, You always read find fields and open areas to find where they are roosting.. I assume these guys are roosting in the middle of the woods somewhere, but where to start? Old road beds? Creek beds? Wonder aimlessly through the woods with an owl call?

I am usually deep in the woods when I see them (during deer season).

Thanks again

If it were me I'd just find a high ridge top or somewhere I could hear a long ways,go on a still morning 2 or 3 weeks before the season and just listen,you should be able to get a good idea where the birds are at.

Huntaholic

Whitetail Junkie said:
If it were me I'd just find a high ridge top or somewhere I could hear a long ways,go on a still morning 2 or 3 weeks before the season and just listen,you should be able to get a good idea where the birds are at.
EXCELLENT advice. ;) You arent gonna be looking to see em face to face till season opens so just getting to a good listening spot is all you really need to do prior to season. Once youve got some preferred roosting spots located then you will be ready to QUIETLY slip into a close spot when the season does open.

buckdead

turkeys like to roost on high ridges. its not hard to find where they are roosting thats the easiest part of the hunt. getting in between them and where they wanna go once they fly down is a diffrent story. sometimes you cant do anything wrong you can make some of the most awfull sounds on your call and they will come in on a string. other times you gotta postion yourself between them and where they are headed especially when they are with a bunch of hens. if you dont mind hunting in the rain that is one of the best times to go turkey hunting. there feathers get wet making it hard to fly so they go into fields so they can see predators coming from aways. you'll learn as you go. ive been chasing them for 6-7 years and still learning somthin new every time. good luck

CamohunterAGAIN

If all else fails... just invite me up... :) J/K

There are a lot of good suggestions on here and other post already... I would encourage you to go to the woods pre-season and do some scouting... look for scratching and droppings.. you may even see some birds but try not to bother them... Getting out there early on a couple of mornings and listening is a good tip... gives you a good place to start... most important thing
in my opinion is knoiwing your hunting land. You have got to know what is between you and that bird before you set up on him. If there is an obstacle that you don't think he will cross for one reason or another (fence, creek, bluff, etc...)then don't set up right there... If you know your land you will know what route to go to set up that he will come to...

cruff10

1st weekend of march they should start to gobble off the roost. (in East TN, WEST TN is earlier)

Take a HS strut HootTube, and go to a ridge/field 15 before day light, if you hear nothing at daylight hoot in the tube, say who cooks...who cooks for YOUUUUUUUUU!!! rolling the u.

if you hear nothing go to a next field, do the same thing, do this until 30min to 1 hour after daylight. If you don't hear anything go home and try it next weekend.

*******************What ever you do as much temptation as there is DO NOT USE A HEN or YELP BEFORE SEASON!!!! This could screw up opening day. If the gobblers comes and doesn't find you, You will be screwed for opening morning.*******************

When the season comes around you should have some gobblers pinpointed.

Now during the season do this all day long until you find one that gobbles. You may even hen call or use a crow call in mid day/morning. (possible a gobble)

Never give up. I have killed 7 gobblers in my short turkey hunting career , and only 1 has been before 12:15.

I have my best luck after 12:00.

I think the hens go to their nest and leave the gobblers. When this happens the gobblers get lonely and want to find a hen to breed. Then you can call one up easy after 12:00.

Latest posts