Public land question

BamaHudson

I've hunted a few public land spots in Middle TN and haven't heard a gobble since opening day. They gobble fine on private land of course but man it gets old putting in the miles to scare off a couple hens. Anyone else having the same issue or are y'all hearing them pretty good on public right now?

Sometimes I can't help but get jealous of folks who have their own place to hunt up here. I can only imagine going out and hearing 4 or 5 hammering off and just picking one to set up on.

Carlos

I've heard and seen birds pretty much everyday I've been out on public land except one. Was on a pretty decent public land bird last Sunday but he won the day. He's an educated old fart of a turkey.
Same here.
Lately they've been gobbling on the roost, then getting quiter when on the ground. They don't stop gobbling, but cutback on it.

Acorn

I've hunted a few public land spots in Middle TN and haven't heard a gobble since opening day. They gobble fine on private land of course but man it gets old putting in the miles to scare off a couple hens. Anyone else having the same issue or are y'all hearing them pretty good on public right now?

Sometimes I can't help but get jealous of folks who have their own place to hunt up here. I can only imagine going out and hearing 4 or 5 hammering off and just picking one to set up on.
You have got to go deeper in where other people don't want to walk to or if it has boat access you can get where a lot of other people can't get. This is just from my experience.

Soft Talker

There is pressure and there is public ground pressure. Two completely different Turkeys, and anyone who does not believe that has their head up their a##. Calling to the gun and killing "pounded" Gobblers later in the season, whether they gobble or not, is what constitutes a true "killer" in my book. ;) On a side note, with season running as late as most yankee states this year, heat and bugs won't be enough to keep the traveling youtube circus commanders from unindating our public ground. I will be carrying extra gas and a fully topped off zippo for violators.😀

rifle02

I've been hunting private twice a week or so since the season opened. Last few times out little gobbling but some. Today never heard a gobble. The property has a number of hens. I've seen two or three every time I've been there. It's just been strangely quiet.

CHRIS WILSON

Got out this morning hunting some public ground. Had three gobbling on the roost at day break. Once they hit the ground, two went pretty much silent. One would gobble about every 20-30 minutes but he stayed about 100 yards out, strutting up and down his little stretch of gravel road. Couldn't get him to give up his little piece of paradise and come play. The area I was in typically gets hunted pretty hard the first part of the season, so the birds are educated and pretty leary at this point. It's just gonna take the right setup, some patience and a little luck to get'em range.

Grouse

Try an afternoon cold calling session or two from somewhere you can't see one until he's already in range on a good dry day where you can hear him walking in. It'd not as romantic but you'll kill birds in burned out spots

BamaHudson

Try an afternoon cold calling session or two from somewhere you can't see one until he's already in range on a good dry day where you can hear him walking in. It'd not as romantic but you'll kill birds in burned out spots
I know that this is really the best way to get ahold of one on late season public but dangit if I can't get myself to do it. I'll get there one day but for now I just can't stand deer hunting turkeys.

Half the reason I love turkey hunting so much is that I can wander around because in deer season I get stir crazy sitting there for hours.

ROVERBOY

Well, I hunt on private land but, am seeing the same thing. Most of the time I don't hear anything. Not seen many birds either. I've been working a lot and mostly just been losing sleep.

Grouse

I know that this is really the best way to get ahold of one on late season public but dangit if I can't get myself to do it. I'll get there one day but for now I just can't stand deer hunting turkeys.

Half the reason I love turkey hunting so much is that I can wander around because in deer season I get stir crazy sitting there for hours.
Hey, it's not how I want to kill em either. There's really just one experience most of us are looking for but if I get to needing to kill one it's what I do. There's no telling how many birds we leave that are heading in running off to go find a gobbling bird.

PalsPal

There's no telling how many birds we leave that are heading in running off to go find a gobbling bird.

Bruce Wayne Penguin GIF by Gotham

I'm with Hudson. I want a bird that gets my adrenaline pumping. One or two gobbles and 45 minutes later he walks in does nothing for me no matter how big his spurs are, and I don't plan on using my last tag on him if in that scenario.

That said, if my season wrecker does that, then that's different, and I will gladly take that opportunity.

Bone Collector

I have heard gobbles on public all but one day, but the key is I have a boat, and can get around to places others can't. Issue is some of the birds I've heard are not huntable, but a I have found at least 1 each trip that is. It has been hit and miss. Sometimes they only gobble on the limb, but other birds have gobbled on the ground pretty good. If you are out mid-day don't be shocked if one just shock/free gobbles.

I found one yesterday in that 30 minute window before official sunrise. I moved in and caught movement to my left. 2 guys had walked in a ways to get there. We talked for 10 minutes and he was on private land, but gobbled twice while we swapped war stories from hunting over crowded public. I left as they had been there first, but I came in by boat and they came in by land, so I was shocked to see them, due to the distance they had to walk. Didn't hear another peep after that.

Latest posts