Proclamations are online

TheLBLman

I forgot to add, when I was a "juvenile" hunter, the TN archery season ended on October 31st, and there was simply no deer hunting period until the gun season opened close to Thanksgiving.

It's not that I don't greatly enjoy TN deer hunting ANYTIME in November, but the reality was that small-game hunting was also at its best in November, and once enjoyed by more Tennesseans than currently deer hunt in TN.
Think about that for a moment.

Hard to believe, but I lived it when the Opening Day of Squirrel Season saw more hunters afield across TN than the Opening Day of Deer Season (in November).

Change is the only constant, and the reasons things change are numerous.
But among those reasons, more deer hunting days is a reason fewer people are small-game hunting today.

knightrider

I agree with @TheLBLman and go one step further. Where I grew up there was no juvenile hunts at all. Deer season (gun) was, and still is only 3 weeks long. There was no muzzleloader season and bow season was just an up and coming thing. My dad took me out small game hunting when I was a kid. But no way was he going to risk a kid ruining his chance at a deer. We only had buck tags and very few people had a permit for doe. Usually it was 3 people on 1 doe permit.

With that being said, small game hunting is where kids learn to hunt. I honestly believe this youth season for deer is being scammed by many hunters. I would really like to see these 10 year old girls pulling the trigger of any rifle bigger than a rim fire. I bet half the 10 year old boys can't even lift it up and hold it for 10 seconds. I started my grandkids at 15 and the one didn't last half a day carrying a .22 rifle around squirrel hunting.

I am all for the kids being out there and learning to hunt. Do I think they need a special weekend? Absolutely not. Get rid of the youth weekend. Cut back to one buck a year and one doe a year. Cut the season way back to say 2 weeks of archery (12 years old min.), 1 week of muzzleloader (14 years old min.), and 3 weeks of regular gun (14 years old min.) season. Then get the kids out there, small game hunting. That's my $0.02 worth.
Id take that bet!!! Ive taken many over the years both boys and girls and theyve had zero problems with my single shot light weight youth 243, and shooting sticks

Lt.Dan

But among those reasons, more deer hunting days is a reason fewer people are small-game hunting today.
I agree. I don't small game hunt hardly at all anymore. I don't want to disturb deer hunters, I only hunt public land. Deer season starts at the end of September and runs into January. Small game season end in February. That leaves like 7 weeks for the little critters for me to go after. And I'm usually about sick of hunting by the time deer season ends. And just want to spend some time relaxing

Last edited:

Lt.Dan

Id take that bet!!! Ive taken many over the years both boys and girls and theyve had zero problems with my single shot light weight youth 243, and shooting sticks
I'm glad you can afford a youth model lightweight rifle and shooting sticks for them. I'm sure that they can hold it longer than an adult sized gun. The grandkids I took out at 15 couldn't carry a Ruger American 22lr. for half a day in the field.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm glad you can afford a youth model lightweight rifle for them. I'm sure that they can hold it longer than an adult sized gun. The grandkids I took out at 15 couldn't carry a Ruger American 22lr. for half a day in the field.
My kids all hunted at 10. My little girls did well with everything from 270/308/30-06, but I handloaded youth loads for all of them. They shot from shooting sticks or off of a bench. We practiced shooting and dry firing a lot to make sure that they could maneuver in the field. My oldest daughter still goes with me occasionally, my younger daughter doesn't like to hunt anymore, and my son (youngest) loves to hun.

My younger daughter shot this one on a public land youth draw hunt, left handed, with a 308 and 125gr youth load

Attachments

• IMG_5843.jpeg
    IMG_5843.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 22

Lt.Dan

My kids all hunted at 10. My little girls did well with everything from 270/308/30-06, but I handloaded youth loads for all of them. They shot from shooting sticks or off of a bench. We practiced shooting and dry firing a lot to make sure that they could maneuver in the field. My oldest daughter still goes with me occasionally, my younger daughter doesn't like to hunt anymore, and my son (youngest) loves to hun.

My younger daughter shot this one on a public land youth draw hunt, left handed, with a 308 and 125gr youth load
Congratulations to her. And I'm sure everyone who replies are the people who are doing the right thing. I'm positive nobody will admit they shot a deer for their kid, and let the kid tag it, as that would be admitting to a crime. And to be clear, I am not accusing you EastTNHunter of doing that.

The point I was trying to make is most every one of these youths are walked out to a stand, shooting house or blind. Shooting off a bench or sticks. They sleep until a deer walks by, woken up and told to shoot. Now of course I can't prove any of this. But I see picture after picture after picture of kids asleep in shooting houses. Then a picture of a the same kid with a trophy buck. Just seems mighty suspicious to me. I think there should be no youth season. Let them get out there and work for their deer. It will teach them so much more. It will teach them about the work that needs to be put in to be successful hunt. It will teach them of the disappointment of making a mistake that costs them to spook that deer. The best way to learn is by making those mistakes and learning from them.

Side story: a guy who hunt the same area I do had his son out there hunting. He was 16 or 17. He missed a beautiful buck. His dad was telling me how he cried and kicked trees because he was so upset. I missed that same deer that same day about 2 hours later. It was running through the woods. I shot a tree. Disappointing for both of us to say the least. Here is a pic of that deer I got on a trail camera
DSCF0021~2.JPG

Last edited:

knightrider

Congratulations to her. And I'm sure everyone who replies are the people who are doing the right thing. I'm positive nobody will admit they shot a deer for their kid, and let the kid tag it, as that would be admitting to a crime. And to be clear, I am not accusing you EastTNHunter of doing that.

The point I was trying to make is most every one of these youths are walked out to a stand, shooting house or blind. Shooting off a bench or sticks. They sleep until a deer walks by, woken up and told to shoot. Now of course I can't prove any of this. But I see picture after picture after picture of kids asleep in shooting houses. Then a picture of a the same kid with a trophy buck. Just seems mighty suspicious to me. I think there should be no youth season. Let them get out there and work for their deer. It will teach them so much more. It will teach them about the work that needs to be put in to be successful hunt. It will teach them of the disappointment of making a mistake that costs them to spook that deer. The best way to learn is by making those mistakes and learning from them.
You know what happens when you assume, ive had kids that i guarantee have worked just as hard or harder for a deer ,than any deer you have! Not all kids are molly coddled ,some are taught woodsmanship over participation trophies! Pisses me off seeing people advocate giving kids their on time in the woods, i wish they had the first two weeks of November to themselves just to piss off greedy adults

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled

Side story: a guy who hunt the same area I do had his son out there hunting. He was 16 or 17. He missed a beautiful buck. His dad was telling me how he cried and kicked trees because he was so upset. I missed that same deer that same day about 2 hours later. It was running through the woods. I shot a tree. Disappointing for both of us to say the least. Here is a pic of that deer I got on a trail camera View attachment 227705
I didn't take personal offense to what you wrote. I agree that some people take advantage of their kids' opportunities. But that could (and does) also take place outside of the juvy hunt. I know that there are people who use their kids' tags to extend their own season, or to check in more deer. They could also do exactly as you were saying during regular season. That doesn't require a special weekend.

Lt.Dan

You know what happens when you assume, ive had kids that i guarantee have worked just as hard or harder for a deer ,than any deer you have! Not all kids are molly coddled ,some are taught woodsmanship over participation trophies! Pisses me off seeing people advocate giving kids their on time in the woods, i wish they had the first two weeks of November to themselves just to piss off greedy adults
Ok tough guy, show me the kid who has hacked out a mile of trail, with a machete, through briars so thick you can't see 5 feet in front of you. When you can prove that I will get off my soap box.

Again, I am not saying that all the kids out there are being coddled. You do not realize this because you are only seeing the part of my picture, that offends you. But I am not as stupid as you think you are [sic]. I do know there are kids out there working hard to get their animals - small game and big game. And I believe I have stated that at least once in this thread. And if you really want to let the kids have 2 week in November by all means lobby the system for it. But don't you dare go out with them. They will have to do it all on their own. The scouting, the cutting of shooting lanes and trails.The setting up of whatever they chose as a stand (blind, ladder stand, shooting house, hang on treestand). The shooting of their game. Gutting it, dragging it out of the woods. Processing the deer, no butcher shop for a real kid. All that, with no help from an adult. Sounds about ridiculous doesn't it? I still do this by myself and I'm in my 60's.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
I agree with @TheLBLman and go one step further. Where I grew up there was no juvenile hunts at all. Deer season (gun) was, and still is only 3 weeks long. There was no muzzleloader season and bow season was just an up and coming thing. My dad took me out small game hunting when I was a kid. But no way was he going to risk a kid ruining his chance at a deer. We only had buck tags and very few people had a permit for doe. Usually it was 3 people on 1 doe permit.

With that being said, small game hunting is where kids learn to hunt. I honestly believe this youth season for deer is being scammed by many hunters. I would really like to see these 10 year old girls pulling the trigger of any rifle bigger than a rim fire. I bet half the 10 year old boys can't even lift it up and hold it for 10 seconds. I started my grandkids at 15 and the one didn't last half a day carrying a .22 rifle around squirrel hunting.

I am all for the kids being out there and learning to hunt. Do I think they need a special weekend? Absolutely not. Get rid of the youth weekend. Cut back to one buck a year and one doe a year. Cut the season way back to say 2 weeks of archery (12 years old min.), 1 week of muzzleloader (14 years old min.), and 3 weeks of regular gun (14 years old min.) season. Then get the kids out there, small game hunting. That's my $0.02 worth.
It sounds to me like you waited too long to start with your grandkids. My now 8 year old has been shooting rimfire since he was 3. He started shooting an AR at 4. Killed his first deer at 5. He's killed a pile of turkeys and deer already. I can also just about guarantee that if he grabs one of my 22s and heads to the woods by himself after squirrels, he'll be bringing squirrels back. It blows my mind to think someone would even suggest that I should wait until my kid(s) are 12-14 before they can deer hunt.

Headhunter

I am 58, the statewide juvenile hunt was always the first full weekend in November and was that way for many years. It was awesome and the kids always killed a pile of deer and some good ones. Such a great way to get kids hooked on hunting. Muzzleloader, when it became a thing, opened the Monday after the juvenile. LBL juvenile was always the weekend after statewide. That hunt was a "killing" to. Killed my first deer on that hunt. So sad that selfish adults can't give the kids those weekends. I would give them up in a heartbeat. The kids I have taken on October juvenile, hated it, it is most always hot and also, just not the best time to be in the woods for deer movement, for sure not as good as the first weekend in November.

Lt.Dan

It sounds to me like you waited too long to start with your grandkids. My now 8 year old has been shooting rimfire since he was 3. He started shooting an AR at 4. Killed his first deer at 5. He's killed a pile of turkeys and deer already. I can also just about guarantee that if he grabs one of my 22s and heads to the woods by himself after squirrels, he'll be bringing squirrels back. It blows my mind to think someone would even suggest that I should wait until my kid(s) are 12-14 before they can deer hunt.
Sounds great about your son. Now it leads me to ask this: why does he need a youth day/ weekend? He sounds like an accomplished hunter already.

Oh @ruger7mag as for my starting my grandkids late, it was their choice not mine. They had asked at earlier ages. I told them and their parents the boys needed to take their hunter education safety classes. I gave them dates and times. It was never done. Then TWRA started that mentor program so I took them hunting. I told them they needed to get the hunter safety class the next year. It was online. Neither of them did the class. So as young adults now, they still can't hunt. I believe a kid needs to earn certain things if they want something. This is one of them. I won't do it for them.

Last edited:

mike243

Right here is a typical out of stater who has moved here and wants to trash our home state like the 1 he left for some reason, you don't have to hunt when it's open just limit your self and family and don't bash folks who enjoy not having to pack all of their hunting into a couple weeks. I was stuck in a state when I was young and was regulated to pu the pheasants and rabbits/squirrels, killed many a beer bottle and can but it's not the same. Taking a kid hunting and seeing them enjoy all of it without having to compete with the grownups is very rewarding, it's a shame that grownups are jealous that kids get 4 days out of 2-3 months. Have seen grown men whining about wanting to bow hunt during the juvy hunt, Ky does it why cant we is their response.

Lt.Dan

Right here is a typical out of stater who has moved here and wants to trash our home state
See now there is where you are wrong. Three months is a long hunting season for deer. I also like to hunt small game. What I don't like to do is ruin someone's deer hunt because I am walking around the woods and shooting squirrels.

So let's keep the super long deer season but close Sundays off (or pick any day) to deer hunting so small game hunters can also enjoy some hunting throughout the small game season without ruining your and others deer hunt. There are small game hunters out there who do not even deer hunt. I like both. I am not thinking of myself. I am thinking of others by restraining my urge to small game hunt during deer season.

Oh, and if you grew up in another state then TN is not your home state either. I have lived here 24 years. I have contributed to the state in many ways. One of them being I have been a certified hunter education teacher. Just because I have some different views does not make me someone who is out to trash this state.

knightrider

Ok tough guy, show me the kid who has hacked out a mile of trail, with a machete, through briars so thick you can't see 5 feet in front of you. When you can prove that I will get off my soap box.

Again, I am not saying that all the kids out there are being coddled. You do not realize this because you are only seeing the part of my picture, that offends you. But I am not as stupid as you think you are [sic]. I do know there are kids out there working hard to get their animals - small game and big game. And I believe I have stated that at least once in this thread. And if you really want to let the kids have 2 week in November by all means lobby the system for it. But don't you dare go out with them. They will have to do it all on their own. The scouting, the cutting of shooting lanes and trails.The setting up of whatever they chose as a stand (blind, ladder stand, shooting house, hang on treestand). The shooting of their game. Gutting it, dragging it out of the woods. Processing the deer, no butcher shop for a real kid. All that, with no help from an adult. Sounds about ridiculous doesn't it? I still do this by myself and I'm in my 60's.
Tough guy? A man in his 60's comparing how he still does it on his own compared to a kid😂😂 takey your vitamins and get your pull ups on kids and take it easy on lt. dan he wants a hunting competition 😂😂😂😂

IMG_3181.gif

Lt.Dan

Tough guy? A man in his 60's comparing how he still does it on his own compared to a kid😂😂 takey your vitamins and get your pull ups on kids and take it easy on lt. dan he wants a hunting competition 😂😂😂😂

View attachment 227730
Sounds like fun 😁. There will be rules though. Public land neither of us has hunted. Regular gun season. You cannot help in any way.

Those are my thoughts for starters. What are yours?

BSK

So let's keep the super long deer season but close Sundays off (or pick any day) to deer hunting so small game hunters can also enjoy some hunting throughout the small game season without ruining your and others deer hunt. There are small game hunters out there who do not even deer hunt. I like both. I am not thinking of myself. I am thinking of others by restraining my urge to small game hunt during deer season.
Just as long as these rules only effect public land. No one who hunts my family's property hunts small game. We own the land and spend tens of thousands of dollars on it each year just to deer hunt on it. I would hate to see the state shut down part of our deer season for a purpose the land is not used for. Especially a critical weekend day for those who work M-F.

Lt.Dan

Just as long as these rules only effect public land. No one who hunts my family's property hunts small game. We own the land and spend tens of thousands of dollars on it each year just to deer hunt on it. I would hate to see the state shut down part of our deer season for a purpose the land is not used for. Especially a critical weekend day for those who work M-F.
I'm open to only public land. Because if I owned my own land it would be posted and I wouldn't have to worry about ruining someone's deer hunt by my traipsing around on my own land if I felt like small game hunting (or if I've shot the deer I needed for the season).

timberjack86

See now there is where you are wrong. Three months is a long hunting season for deer. I also like to hunt small game. What I don't like to do is ruin someone's deer hunt because I am walking around the woods and shooting squirrels.

Oh, and if you grew up in another state then TN is not your home state either. I have lived here 24 years. I have contributed to the state in many ways. One of them being I have been a certified hunter education teacher. Just because I have some different views does not make me someone who is out to trash this state.
Just hunt South Cherokee, the gun deer season there is 2 weeks in November and 2 weeks in December. Plenty of time for small game hunting. Best part. Plenty of targets.
IMG_20230604_185500861.jpg

recurve60#

I don't know anyone who wanted muzzle loader back. They already complain about no one killing deer in cwd zone so why would they bring it back lol oh well. I have a brand new muzzleloader I'll have to get set up now
The need to sell muzzy license. I'm sure they took an income hit when it was dropped. Remember..everything is about income.