Proclamations are online

BSK

Looks like no change for my area, which is fine.

I just hate these years with a late Thanksgiving hence a late opening to MZ season (years where Nov. 1 falls on a Friday or Saturday, pushing Thanksgiving one week later). Having MZ opener as late as Nov. 8 or 9 misses some of the best hunting the first week of November in my area. I would love to have MZ opener always linked to the first full weekend of November instead of two weeks before gun opener. Yes, this would mean some years MZ season runs for three weeks instead of two, but what would it matter considering how long gun season is?

PickettSFHunter

And wont hurt a thing in alot of counties, the way they grouped such different counties together was a mistake, its gonna be up to every individual to do as they see fit to do with their farms within the regs. If you cant hadle shooting two does with a rifle than dont. Its really pretty simple
Yes it was a mistake to lump those counties together. Unfortunately you can't rely on hunters to do the right thing, they just won't do it's not that simple. That's how deer and Turkey were wiped out to begin with, hunters won't don't the right thing.
Scott, Morgan, and Fentress counties should have no antlerless deer in rifle season!
Absolutely correct. But I'm sure someone that isn't a native will tell us how it should be 😂

Jcalder

In my county it was two for quite awhile just was broken done 1 two weeks before Christmas and 1 the two weeks after Christmas, than it just went to 1 with a rifle i guess to simplify things. Glad to get the extra doe back since loosing the third buck several years ago for no biological reason
I would rather have the third buck vs second doe

PickettSFHunter

Pickett is right there with you
Agree with that too. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to matter for any of us. Now that Overton is 3 does a day(which is absolutely insane), I've already heard the local poachers saying that every one of their kills will be checked in as Overton County.

cecil30-30

Agree with that too. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to matter for any of us. Now that Overton is 3 does a day(which is absolutely insane), I've already heard the local poachers saying that every one of their kills will be checked in as Overton County.
Yeah I was shocked by Overton county also. Insanity

Jcalder

If they're poachers maybe they'll start checking them in. I really don't see how they thought this was a good idea, but they certainly don't care for the public's opinion on things. And that may be more of a commissioner issue than a twra issue.

killingtime 41

How do they come up with these management approaches. Are they looking to wipe out the population. Now in Greene county you can kill and extra doe in muzzleloader and extra in gun season. It was already tough on the doe population with the old bag limits. Different parts of the county have drastic differences in doe populations. Besides some private property it will be devastating on every piece of public I hunt. Decrease the population even more TWRA that should make it easy to recruit youngsters to the sport.

tntrkkllr

Agreed. Don't know how there were supposedly so many people who supported the change. Glad we didn't sell our accuras.
I don't know anyone who wanted muzzle loader back. They already complain about no one killing deer in cwd zone so why would they bring it back lol oh well. I have a brand new muzzleloader I'll have to get set up now

timberjack86

I don't know anyone who wanted muzzle loader back. They already complain about no one killing deer in cwd zone so why would they bring it back lol oh well. I have a brand new muzzleloader I'll have to get set up now
I liked the idea of straightwall cartridges, lots of people didn't . Now we are all on the same playing field again so I'm good with that.

CrossVolle

And wont hurt a thing in alot of counties, the way they grouped such different counties together was a mistake, its gonna be up to every individual to do as they see fit to do with their farms within the regs. If you cant hadle shooting two does with a rifle than dont. Its really pretty simple
Which will not happen and every one knows it. Cannot truthfully post the "tagged out" post on the gram if you are not tagged out.

Headhunter

Looks like no change for my area, which is fine.

I just hate these years with a late Thanksgiving hence a late opening to MZ season (years where Nov. 1 falls on a Friday or Saturday, pushing Thanksgiving one week later). Having MZ opener as late as Nov. 8 or 9 misses some of the best hunting the first week of November in my area. I would love to have MZ opener always linked to the first full weekend of November instead of two weeks before gun opener. Yes, this would mean some years MZ season runs for three weeks instead of two, but what would it matter considering how long gun season is?
Juveniles should get the first full weekend of November like they did when I was younger.

TheLBLman

Juveniles should get the first full weekend of November like they did when I was younger.
Pro & Cons any date choice.

Was just thinking back to a time in my childhood when no juvenile hunter felt disenfranchised because we didn't yet have a special juvenile weekend hunt. Also just seemed "normal" to be hunting ducks, doves, squirrels, rabbits, etc. during the first 3 weeks of November, since we had no special muzzleloader season either.

I know deer hunting has not been the primary driver of a decline in juvenile hunting, but it was once much easier, and still is, to take a kid small-game hunting. I continue to believe lifetime hunters are created more by frequent small-game hunting than deer hunting.

And we'd maybe be developing more youth into lifetime hunters if we had less emphasis on deer hunting (at the expense of other types of hunting)? I'm putting this in the context to how much deer hunting opportunities today's youth actually have compared to only a few decades ago, and, the extent to which so much deer hunting emphasis may reduce the opportunities for the same kids to hunt small game.

So count me neutral as to any particular date for a special juvenile hunt.
If anything, just do away with the post-season juvenile deer hunt.

mike243

As far back as I remember the juvy hunt date has been the same, the only permeant dates that change was the silly 2 time frames for muzzle loader seasons. Not sure how that ever came about. I think the juvy hunt should be before the bow season. give them a little more edge to start the season off, bow hunters like the challenge of the bow so they wont mind. ;) 🤣

Lt.Dan

I agree with @TheLBLman and go one step further. Where I grew up there was no juvenile hunts at all. Deer season (gun) was, and still is only 3 weeks long. There was no muzzleloader season and bow season was just an up and coming thing. My dad took me out small game hunting when I was a kid. But no way was he going to risk a kid ruining his chance at a deer. We only had buck tags and very few people had a permit for doe. Usually it was 3 people on 1 doe permit.

With that being said, small game hunting is where kids learn to hunt. I honestly believe this youth season for deer is being scammed by many hunters. I would really like to see these 10 year old girls pulling the trigger of any rifle bigger than a rim fire. I bet half the 10 year old boys can't even lift it up and hold it for 10 seconds. I started my grandkids at 15 and the one didn't last half a day carrying a .22 rifle around squirrel hunting.

I am all for the kids being out there and learning to hunt. Do I think they need a special weekend? Absolutely not. Get rid of the youth weekend. Cut back to one buck a year and one doe a year. Cut the season way back to say 2 weeks of archery (12 years old min.), 1 week of muzzleloader (14 years old min.), and 3 weeks of regular gun (14 years old min.) season. Then get the kids out there, small game hunting. That's my $0.02 worth.

Latest posts