Poult recruitment?

LanceS4803

Thanks for the discussion on aflatoxins. I was totally unfamiliar with it.
AND, it surely could be a reason for the extreme decline in turkeys on the farm. I found a neighbor that runs corn feeders (the kind that spray the kernels out), attracting turkeys.

SKFOOTER

scn":1qe6ei4n said:
TheLBLman":1qe6ei4n said:
Boll Weevil":1qe6ei4n said:
I sure hope that corn is free of aflatoxins otherwise you now have exactly zero poults.
Zero turkeys, not just zero poults.
One bad kernel will kill an adult turkey.

I used to buy "Certified Aflatoxin Free" corn from the Co-Op.
Quit feeding even that after finding it could be bad for developing aflatoxin
AFTER being poured out.

Much of the "Deer Corn" sold at Wal-mart (and other stores)
ALREADY contains the aflatoxin.

In some states, such as Texas, it is illegal to sell bagged corn that has not been certified aflatoxin free.

So when the aflatoxin is found, that corn simply gets shipped to states where it's legal to sell, like Tennessee.
IMO, aflatoxin corn has been a significant factor in regional quail & turkey population declines. Think about how relatively few corn feeders dotted the landscape over two decades ago, then compare to now.

I'd guess that the feeding/baiting of turkeys is a major factor in the decline we are seeing. As you said, the major increase in the number of folks playing that russian roulette game with their birds is pretty astounding when you look at the sales figures for the feeders and packaged corn. The feeding/baiting allows folks with little or no true turkey hunting skills to kill a bunch of birds during the season. Add to it the ones that go off and die with that single grain of aflatoxin corn and it isn't surprising to see the drops in the population that we are experiencing.
Then why doesn't TWRA make the sale of non-certified alflatoxin free corn illegal like Texas did??

TheLBLman

Ironically, Texas, with their drier climate,
would not appear as susceptible to aflatoxin corn as Tennesse, with our more humid climate.

The promulgation of laws varies greatly from one state to another,
especially regarding overlapping issues effecting livestock, wildlife, and agriculture.

SKFOOTER":2s1eriv6 said:
Then why doesn't TWRA make the sale of non-certified aflatoxin free corn illegal like Texas did??
As I understand it, there are 3 "short" answers to your question:

1) TWRA doesn't have this authority.
TWRA regulates "hunting".
They have made it illegal to "hunt" over bait.
That appears to be about all they can do, legally, my opinion.

2) Mass ignorance of people in general about the negatives of wildlife feeding,
coupled with "just where do you draw the line"?

3) Self-interests
This can be people wanting to get pictures, wanting to hunt over bait, or just watch birds/wildlife out their homes' windows.
This is also where the politicians and those who lobby for the sellers and the buyers come into play.

megalomaniac

Feeling better... saw 6 hens with 30 half grown poults in my cut hayfield day before yesterday. Have seen 10 more adult hens without poults. Have seen 15 males in scattered batchelor groups also.

This is the first time I've seen turkeys working freshly cut hay with this much fervour. I guess they were feeding on grasshoppers and crickets under the hay

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Andy S.

megalomaniac":3g33t2ix said:
Feeling better... saw 6 hens with 30 half grown poults in my cut hayfield day before yesterday. Have seen 10 more adult hens without poults. Have seen 15 males in scattered batchelor groups also.

This is the first time I've seen turkeys working freshly cut hay with this much fervour. I guess they were feeding on grasshoppers and crickets under the hay
Great report. If you could get about three consecutive years like this, things would be shaping up nicely. Thanks for sharing.

AT Hiker

For the first time in 3 years we have poults at my grandfathers farm. 9 of the little buggers are staying close by, in addition we now have 3 jakes that have showed up that are hanging with the 4 toms we have had all year. This is in NW Dickson County.

I also drove out toward Charlotte/Cumberland Furnace area a couple weeks ago....wow is all I can say. That place looked like Ft Campbell during the hay days, must have seen a dozen hens with poults.

bigbonner

I have heard that if a hens nest gets broke up they may lay another batch of eggs and hatch

megalomaniac

AT, I killed my first Turkey in that area around north of Charlotte back in 1992 :).

He broke all the rules I had been taught. Even flew across a 25 ft river to get to me!

Bucks & Beards

megalomaniac":4cq6wrzc said:
So far we are seeing around 1 out of 10 hens with poults. The few with hens only have 4 or 5 out of the clutch left. I'm hoping the other mommas have their brood away from our prying eyes or there's a bunch of hens still setting. What are you guys seeing as far as hens with or without poults?
I saw two hens with six poults last week in western Fayette Co.

megalomaniac

More time in the woods... amazing how different recruitment can be just 5 miles apart. On the farm I deer hunted this past weekend, I saw at least 40 poults with 6 hens. Another 4 solo hens.

Another farm 10 lone hens without poults, 2 more with 3 poults. Another farm with 4 lone hens and 1 hen with 4 poults.

So on one farm, the best hatch I can recall in over a decade, yet mediocre to poor hatches just a few miles away. I'm sure there is some observational bias, but I was afield for 3 straight days all day long.

woodsman04

megalomaniac":1o6nckna said:
More time in the woods... amazing how different recruitment can be just 5 miles apart. On the farm I deer hunted this past weekend, I saw at least 40 poults with 6 hens. Another 4 solo hens.

Another farm 10 lone hens without poults, 2 more with 3 poults. Another farm with 4 lone hens and 1 hen with 4 poults.

So on one farm, the best hatch I can recall in over a decade, yet mediocre to poor hatches just a few miles away. I'm sure there is some observational bias, but I was afield for 3 straight days all day long.

I've always thought stuff like that was random and observational biased. But 5 miles apart is nothing for a turkey, especially the young ones. They will eventually disperse and move back and forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tn24

Saw hens with between 5 to 8 poults each the last 3 days in three locations. Most I've seen in a long time.

Latest posts